Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

What does anyone think of this cover?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments Image may contain: text

message 2: by Wolfen (new)

Wolfen (wolfenm) | 39 comments I like it! It's eye-catching and well-balanced. My only suggestion would be to maybe put a thin black outline around "Nate" and around "and", to help them pop a bit better (especially as the DNA strand is the same colour as "Nate"). Oh, and maybe every so slightly lighten the streaks by the face on the left -- I mean, I reaise the streaks ON his face are part of the same image, but note how the other guy's face pops still? The guy on the right is kind of faded into the background, especially his forehead.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments Yeah I wanted them more faded into the background. I think if they're in profile I won't hate it if their faces are a bit more visible.

I was thinking of lightening the streaks over the eyes of the guy on the right though.

I'll get the outlining done and ask about the streaks. Thanks Wolfen.

message 4: by Amy (new)

I'm finding this rather yummy...

message 5: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4587 comments Mod
Love this cover!!

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments Thanks Carole. I'm about to ask her to redo book one. This cover is awesome.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 961 comments Amy, I prefer the second one. It's very striking and conveys strong emotion. Love it! Hugs

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments Definitely the second one. It's clearer. Thanks.

message 9: by Carrie (new)

Carrie D. Miller (carriedmiller) | 89 comments Awesome! Ditto on liking the second one more.

message 10: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments I absolutely love this cover, Amy, I think it seriously rocks and I'm envious you got such a good cover for a fraction of what I paid for mine.

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments Thanks Carrie and Alex. It was definitely worth me spending an entire day trawling through Fiverr.com last week.

message 12: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Amy wrote: "Thanks Carrie and Alex. It was definitely worth me spending an entire day trawling through Fiverr.com last week."

An entire day, blimey, I'd have given up long before then.

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments Yep an entire day. There were loads. She wasn't the most costly either, but I liked her examples. What I don't like is there are people on Fiverr.com who use covers of famous books as their examples and I'm not convinced they created things for JK Rowling or George RR Martin!

message 14: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Amy wrote: "Yep an entire day. There were loads. She wasn't the most costly either, but I liked her examples. What I don't like is there are people on Fiverr.com who use covers of famous books as their example..."

Unfortunately some people are naive enough to fall for that kind of thing. Those covers will have been done by designers who either work in house for a publishing company or who charge $thousands per cover, not that I think they're always worth it (I have Game of Thrones right next to me and if you ask me, the cover is kind of ordinary)

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments I can imagine they do cost a fortune. Some of them are so plain they won't be worth it. The misleading gigs available on fiverr.com are rife. I can understand someone advertising that they can do something like the cover they are showing, I prefer to see actual examples of things they really produced.

message 16: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Definitely, you need examples of their work to be able to say if they are someone you want to work with. I don't understand people who feel it's alright to misrepresent themselves so blatantly.

message 17: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments Of course the thing I didn't notice until I'd hit the button to say I accepted the order was the lack of title and author down the spine. Luckily I bought an additional edit, so however I get it, it shouldn't be a problem. Something to look out for.

message 18: by Amy (new)

message 19: by Carrie (new)

Carrie D. Miller (carriedmiller) | 89 comments Are you going to add a bio about yourself on the back, or links to your website?

message 20: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments That's inside at the back.

message 21: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments How did I miss the missing spine details, that's what I want to know?

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments I prefer it inside for some reason, it's what I'm used to seeing over here.

I'm still annoyed I missed the missing spine...

message 23: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments I agree with you about preferring a bio and picture on the inside of a book, Amy. For me the cover of the book, both front and back, should be about the book, not the author.

message 24: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments Preferably with a spine lol

message 25: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Amy wrote: "Preferably with a spine lol"

Definitely, I just can't respect a book that's spineless.

message 26: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments lol

message 27: by Nat (new)

Nat Kennedy | 153 comments I like it too! Eye catching.

message 28: by Christine (new)

Christine (christineroney) | 261 comments I really like your cover, Amy!

message 29: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments Thank you both.

message 30: by Chris (new)

Chris Stead (chrisstead) | 15 comments I like the art, although I would request a range of colour options for the title and play with the font, too. Probably a better option out there on both fronts. The font feels like a romance, rather than a sci-fi (although I cannot read the blurb, so that may be the case). You could consider & instead of and as well.

message 31: by Aislinn (new)

Aislinn | 312 comments Fantastic cover! They did a great job.

message 32: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Bush | 88 comments That is an amazingly awesome cover!

message 33: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 208 comments Great looking cover, Amy! Did you figure out the spine issue? I just had a cover made for a novella that was 70ish pages and asked the designer if the title could fit on the spine like my other books. She said that it's industry standard to not have stuff written on the spine for books under 120 pages.

message 34: by Amy (last edited May 31, 2017 11:07PM) (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments Marie Silk wrote: "Great looking cover, Amy! Did you figure out the spine issue? I just had a cover made for a novella that was 70ish pages and asked the designer if the title could fit on the spine like my other boo..."

Is it really? Thanks for that. I didn't know that. I find that bazaar but if that's true fair enough. It is only 108 pages due to the trim size and keeping the print costs down and matching the size of the first book in the series. I don't think I've ever seen a paperback without the title down the spine. Most books I've seen are admittedly longer. My daughter chose an indie book for one of her birthday books and that was tiny I'll have to check it and see if the lack of title gives me the heebie jeebies lol.

I sent a message to the designer but I haven't heard back yet. She's very popular and when I last checked had almost 30 jobs in her queue over on Fiverr.com. It was one of the reasons I picked her.

message 35: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments Chris wrote: "I like the art, although I would request a range of colour options for the title and play with the font, too. Probably a better option out there on both fronts. The font feels like a romance, rathe..."

Thanks Chris, that's spot on then it's Erotic Sci Fi lol

Thanks Nathan and Aislinn I've just got to get my head around the spine issue now...

message 36: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments Well, apparently it's possible to fill the spine with words, being a natural born attention seeker, I'll let you know when it's done... I just need to read it again and see if I've missed anything else.

message 37: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments I point and laugh in the face of industry standards lol

No longer spineless.

Image may contain: text

message 38: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Yay, your book grew a backbone, I applaud its bravery.

message 39: by Nat (new)

Nat Kennedy | 153 comments It can finally stand up amongst it's brethren!

I am so intrigued about this book. I see it's a #2. I will have to find #1 (I don't think I have it.)

message 40: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments 1 is called Modified and is about to get a new cover (again! but we won't go in to that). People have said good things about Modified and I'm sure others have said things like "what the flying #^{^ was that?" Both responses are valid imho...

message 41: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Amy wrote: "1 is called Modified and is about to get a new cover (again! but we won't go in to that). People have said good things about Modified and I'm sure others have said things like "what the flying #^{^..."

It matters not what they say about the book, so long as they talk about it, publicly and often.

message 42: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4587 comments Mod
Sexy!!

message 43: by R.L. (new)

R.L. Jackson (authorrljackson) | 856 comments Mod
I second that Carole.

message 44: by Charles (new)

Charles | 11 comments Now that you have a spine, it looks fine! And I concur with your decision to leave the bio inside. It makes for a cleaner, crisper back cover.

message 45: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments And that would be the replacement cover for book one.

Image may contain: 2 people, text

message 46: by Erica (new)

Erica Graham (erica_graham) | 1490 comments Mod
I am really digging your new covers. Very nice!

message 47: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments Thanks. I am especially liking the men on the covers... ahem. I've used the same guy twice because I've decided he's the lead character, Day. And that woman is a good enough representation of how I see Fiona. The other guy on the second cover can definitely be Nate. So I think that's all coming together nicely.

I'm not sure if the Modified on the spine is the same colour as the one on the front so I've asked.

message 48: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Drawe | 30 comments Dig the new covers, Amy!

message 49: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments Thanks Shannon.

message 50: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments I think I'll probably accept this version. I can't see anything particularly wrong with it. Stuff lines up in the way book 2 does. Huh. I actually like those.

Image may contain: 1 person, text

« previous 1

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread