Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > Lifeline Bookfest Brisbane: 24 June - 2nd July, 2017

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Baz (new)

Baz MW (bazcatt) | 91 comments So who's going?!

This is one of my most favoured yet feared events of the reading calendar.

Why Favoured?
*Halls and halls of low-priced, pre-loved books at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre.
*If you've never been, picture IKEA... but with books. It's HUGE.
*The last time I went I filled a suitcase and probably spent less than $30.
*It's all for a great cause.

Why Feared?
*It's so huge that you could become lost in there for days.
*You will always end up bringing home far more than will fit on your bookshelves.
*It is a time when the Bibliophile's inner-beast is revealed in the battle to find the next great literary adventure.

message 2: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 249 comments I'll have to make sure I get there this year. We missed it last year.

message 3: by Antoinette (new)

Antoinette Turner (smaft2) | 5 comments Wouldn't miss it!

message 4: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1803 comments It is one of my favourite annual events. And this year, it will even me open until 9PM some nights! They certainly know how to rope me in....

message 5: by Baz (new)

Baz MW (bazcatt) | 91 comments Sometimes it coincides with the RSPCA event next door so you can even sneak in and look at puppies and kitties 0.0

message 6: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1803 comments Now that sounds hugely dangerous!

message 7: by Baz (new)

Baz MW (bazcatt) | 91 comments Not long now!
I just wanted to know, am I the only saddo that has my GR scanner at the ready to scan any books that seem interesting or do you like to risk it and wing it based on the cover and blurb?I generally hoard as much as I can carry and then find a quiet corner of the hall to check the ratings of what I have haha

message 8: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68419 comments Mod
That's clever Baz :) Then you can put back what you don't want - all in the wrong places of course ;)

message 9: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1803 comments Well Baz, like you, I collect a huge pile, head to the back of the hall and sit down with my smartphone and filter my selections. we might end up neigbours, as it were.

I will risk a lot based on cover and blurb but I have quite a large "Acquired as yet unread' bookshelf in the hall and I hate to double up. It has happened in the past that I grabbed books I already had. My memory is pretty terrible and I read a lot for the library and re-read a fair bit.

The GR scanner is a boon in lifeline and the library both.

message 10: by Baz (new)

Baz MW (bazcatt) | 91 comments Hooray! Opening day!
Will be armed with my spreadsheet of books that I already have and my GR scanner haha. I'll be the coolest person there for sure!

message 11: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Hope you've had a great day Baz!

message 12: by Deborah (last edited Jun 24, 2017 02:23AM) (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1803 comments I didn't see you Baz, but I may have been looking at books... 47 books, less than $100 . I love this event so much!

Though - why the spreadsheet? I have a GR shelf titled "Acquired as yet unread" and a quick scan will tell you if you have it already.

message 13: by Baz (new)

Baz MW (bazcatt) | 91 comments I know, it's a legacy from pre-GR and I haven't gotten around to scanning them all in, then it gets worse and I add more acquired books to the spreadsheet. Vicious cycle haha.

It was a bit of a Cornwell, Sandford, Reilly and Koontz fest for me yesterday.

I got there early but still couldnt believe how popular it was. So great to see

message 14: by Jane (new)

Jane | 433 comments I went today and got 49 books and 8 jigsaws. I always take a printed spreadsheet of the books I want to find in particular. Today I lucked out on J. D. Robb books - in January's Bookfest I only got 3 - I got 22 today! Got a huge box full of books now and no book-shelf space!

message 15: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Wow! That's awesome Jane!

message 16: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1803 comments Yes! I hear you Jane, I have tried to thin down my shelves, but I might need new bookshelves to house the bounty.