EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

FOR FUN!!! > Books Turned Into Movies That Don't Disappoint!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 88 (88 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 799 comments "The book was better." We've all said it a million times. Which movies have you seen that you feel did the book justice?

Mine are:

The Giver and The Green Mile

JK I'm Exploring (jkimexploring) Fight Club was pretty much the only movie that was equal to the book for me.

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara (saralawl) | 1 comments the princess bride!

message 4: by Kandice (new)

Kandice The Cider House Rules, The Princess Diaries and I really hate to admit it, but Stardust. All of the movies were improvements on already fine books.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 799 comments I did enjoy the Stardust movie! The book was still better for me though.

message 6: by Steena (new)

Steena Carey (steenainthestacks) | 1 comments Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl was much better than the book, imo. The plot felt better paced and the characters were more believable.

message 7: by Rahul (new)

Rahul Matthew Silence of the Lamb is how a thriller should be and the movie was brilliant:)

message 8: by Leesa (new)

Leesa The notebook. I saw the movie first and loved it so was excited to read the book- must be better right? Nope! I think it was the actors and scenery of the south that made that movie so much better than the book.

message 9: by Christine (new)

Christine (clarkepopunta) | 122 comments A Midsummer Night's Dream with Kevin Kline and Calista Flockhart. It's one of those guilty pleasure circumstances.

More recently, I thought the movie Lion was better than A Long Way Home.

message 10: by D.L. (new)

D.L. Anne of Green Gables with Megan Follows was amazing! Pure gold.

I also loved the adaptation of Girl on a Train actually. I found the actors to all be very talented and they made the awful book characters a little sympathetic even lol

message 11: by D.L. (new)

D.L. My mom says Simon Birch which was based on A Prayer for Owen Meany is a hundred times better than the book lol

message 12: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 226 comments Shawshank Redemption and Stand by me both in Stephen King's Different Seasons.

message 13: by Igor (new)

Igor Dumitraskovic | 1 comments I liked The Godfather movies and Russian version of Solaris more than books...

message 14: by STEPHEN (new)

STEPHEN MACPHERSON | 75 comments The Godfather and Nobody's Fool

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 396 comments I actually like the movie version of The Princess Bride more than the book.

Daph wrote: "Anne of Green Gables with Megan Follows was amazing! Pure gold.

I also loved the adaptation of Girl on a Train actually. I found the actors to all be very talented and they made the awful book cha..."

My mom loves that version of Anne of Green Gables.

message 16: by Tania (new)

Tania (geoluhread) | 30 comments Interview with the Vampire, I disliked the cast, but it was much better than the book in my opinion.

The Pillars of the Earth had an excellent adaptation.

A Series of Unfortunate Events, the one with Jim Carrey (I know the author did not like that specific adaptation). It got me to read the entire series only to be disappointed by it. The movie was far superior than the books.

message 17: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (havan) | 6 comments I've seen a LOT of movies based on books and they generally disappoint if I've read the book first.

Not exactly a movie but the TV series Dexter is generally better than the book series. Darkly Dreaming Dexter is almost as good in book form but the others in the book series that I've tried haven't been able to compete with the talents brought to the TV show.

Another series that does the source material justice is Poirot Investigates. Some of the stories dramatized were just short stories and have been lovingly adapted into their TV forms.

The Name of the Rose was great film with Sean Connery and Christian Slater but so far the book version has defeated me. I'll read some but end up getting distracted by other, more accessible books.

BTW... there's a listopia list that you all might want to weigh in on that deals with this subject https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 18: by Katie (new)

Katie | 5 comments Sarah wrote: "I did enjoy the Stardust movie! The book was still better for me though."

I didn't even know that Stardust was originally a book and feel obligated to go and hunt it down now!

message 19: by Micaela (new)

Micaela Rosario de Gomez (micamica) | 4 comments I'm surprised no one mentioned Harry Potter... I mean, even the characters seem like taken out of my head and put in the movie, I found it amazing

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 799 comments Harry Potter movies are definitely good. Here's where I messed up: I read 4 of the books then watched the 4 movies. And it messed with my imagination while reading the books! I read book 5 after this (this was towards the end of last year) and tried to get back to my original picture of things without thinking of the movie depictions. Now I've taken a break from the books to restore my imagination then tackle the last 2! Does this sound silly? Lol, I think I should have read all of the books before watching any of the movies!

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 1117 comments Mod
The 1995 version of Sense and Sensibility is very well done. I also enjoy movie version of The Importance of Being Earnest.

message 22: by D.L. (new)

D.L. Joanna wrote: "The 1995 version of Sense and Sensibility is very well done. I also enjoy movie version of The Importance of Being Earnest."

I love that version of Sense and Sensibility. RIP Alan Rickman (Colonel Brandon).

message 23: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Joanna wrote: "The 1995 version of Sense and Sensibility is very well done. I also enjoy movie version of The Importance of Being Earnest."

That's my favorite version too! No one will ever be a better Colonel Brandon. Ever.

message 24: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Stephen wrote: "Not exactly a movie but the TV series Dexter is generally better than the book series. [book:Da..."

I agree about Dexter. The first season was a perfect representation of the first book and then the subsequent seasons had that terrific black humor voice so that I felt I got twice as much Dexter between the books and the show.

Unlike series like GoT and TWD that (loosely) follow the series throughout, you just end up getting more of the characters you love.

I also loved the first two seasons of TrueBlood, but then it kind of went off the rails. I devoured those books as soon as each came out, though.

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 1117 comments Mod
Daph wrote: "Anne of Green Gables with Megan Follows was amazing! Pure gold.

I also loved the adaptation of Girl on a Train actually. I found the actors to all be very talented and they made the awful book cha..."

Love Anne of green gables, a favorite from my childhood. Have you watched the remake on Netflix? I haven't yet and am leery, but I will watch it at some point.

message 26: by Luella (new)

Luella | 133 comments I liked The Devil Wears Prada movie far more than the book. Also I really didn't get the parts of Everything Is Illuminated that didn't end up in the movie so I liked the movie a lot more than the book.

message 27: by Dani (new)

Dani The fight club movie was like the mental image that i had while reading the book
A monster calls is another one that i find that did the book justice

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 799 comments Oh I agree, A Monster Calls was great!

message 29: by Jen (new)

Jen Lewis | 24 comments Fight Club! The movie was waaaay better than the book IMO. I like that someone mentioned The Importance of Being Ernest, too. That movie was a riot. Not a movie, but, even while being very different from the book, The Man in the High Castle is an AWESOME show and I think pays great homage to the late Philip K. Dick's novel.

message 30: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I preferred the movie The Devil Wears Prada as well.

I enjoyed the book Big Fish, but found the movie much more entertaining.

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 799 comments I've seen Big Fish and have the book on my shelf waiting to be read! Questions: do you think the book would be appropriate to read to my special education class? Anything inappropriate in it?

message 32: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Sarah wrote: "I've seen Big Fish and have the book on my shelf waiting to be read! Questions: do you think the book would be appropriate to read to my special education class? Anything inappropriate in it?"

I don't remember anything inappropriate at all. The book was less... dramatic than the movie, but very, very sweet.

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 799 comments Kandice, thanks for the input!

message 34: by Attou (new)

Attou (olympusisbleeding) The Perks of Being a Wallflower, definitely! The fact that the author wrote the screenplay and directed the movie might've helped.

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 799 comments Attou, agreed!

message 36: by Margeau (new)

Margeau | 2 comments I thought the first Chronicles of Narnia (LWW) was a really good adaptation. Some of the later ones strayed from the books a bit, I think to make it a little more gritty since the books are kind of written for older kids.

message 37: by Candace (new)

Candace Green (ccccandace) For me, The Notebook film was far better than the book. I could barely bring myself to finish the book, but the movie is one of my favourite romances ever!

message 38: by R (new)

R | 3 comments The Lord of the Rings. I have always admired how well those movies have been made.

message 39: by Kaseadillla (new)

Kaseadillla | 1437 comments Mod
Agreed - loved the LOTR movies.

They have already been mentioned, but thought The Notebook, Stardust, and The Perks of Being a Wallflower movies were all significantly better than the books.

message 40: by Sarah (last edited Jun 12, 2017 12:52PM) (new)

Sarah | 396 comments R wrote: "The Lord of the Rings. I have always admired how well those movies have been made."

I LOVE the Lord of the Rings movies.
I'm totally spoiled by the extended editions. If I happen to come across on of them on TV, I always sulk about the fact that its the theatrical version.

I enjoyed the Hobbit movies too, even though they added so much. Even though I knew how it all ended (having long since read the book), I still found myself in total denial as the end of Battle of the Five Armies approached.

Saar The Book owl | 280 comments All the movies about Harry Potter. They were just really good.

message 42: by Jen (new)

Jen Lewis | 24 comments I loved the movie Starship Troopers... the book was alright.

message 43: by loanny (new)

loanny | 1 comments Really love "Before I fall" from Laurent Oliver, and recently I saw the movie and it was pretty good, I think they really capture all the important moments and it doesn't disappoint at all.

message 44: by Emmy (new)

Emmy | 2 comments Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson was a great book with a great movie as well. I also thought The Shining movie and book were equally good.

message 45: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenck) | 54 comments A Prayer for Owen Meany is one of the best books I have ever read; nearly perfect. Can't imagine a movie living up to the book!

I just reread the first three Anne of GG books, and although the Megan Followes series follows book 1 pretty closely, almoat nothing was pulled from the second two books. I prefer Colleen Dewhurst's Marilla and Richard Farnsworth's Matthew to Montgomery's, as well as Jonathan Crombie's Gilbert. IMO the show was much better than the books. I was quite disappointed in them. Haven't seen any of the new adaptations.

LOTR movies were extremely well done and some of my families' favorites.

I much prefer the HP books to the movies. I did not think Radcliffe and Watson were very good. (Well, Emma was good in #1, then overacted throughout the remaining 7.

The Horse Whisperer with Robert Redford and a young Scarlett Johanson was a better movie than book. Classier.

Loved Stardust the movie and want to read the book, but my library doesn't have it- wth?!

Have seen Ang Lee's Sense and Sensibility about 10 times, and it is still brilliant.

From what I recall, I thought Bridget Jones' Diary was a better movie than book.

message 46: by Jaymie (new)

Jaymie (ccstardust3) I thought the Silence of the Lambs was pretty identical to the book. Flowers in the Attic and the Great Gatsby (1974 -- haven't watched the one with Leo) were pretty spot on, too.

message 47: by Durra (new)

Durra | 1 comments I enjoyed the catching fire movie much more than the book surprisingly. Maybe cause i had low expectations after the first movie . Also When I first read the book , I didn't really understand the layout of the arena , while the movie cleared up any doubts I had.
(Plus I loved finnick and Johanna in the movie .Their portrayal was just perfect)

message 48: by Erica (new)

Erica (ericawelter) | 23 comments I enjoyed the movie version of The DaVinci Code more than I did the book. It was more mysterious. The book felt predictable.

message 49: by Kandice (new)

Kandice The Cider House Rules was an amazing book, but I felt the tightened timeline of the movie was even better.

message 50: by Vir (new)

Vir I was so sad when i heard they made the Terry Brooks book "The Elfstones of Shannara" into a tv series, because i thought they were going to ruin it. I thought it was done very well. I mean, of course there was a lot missing, and they didn't quite portray all the characters as they should have been, but that's my opinion.

Unlike the Stephen King novel "Under the Dome", which they completely ruined.

« previous 1