What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Historical romance with hero guardian of three women. [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 26 comments I am looking for a historical romance where the hero is guardian of three young sisters. One of the women is the heroine. She is I believe to be between the ages of 16-18. The two other sisters are younger . At first the hero only sees her as his guardian but later sees her as a woman. I remember a scene in which the nite before they are to be married, the heroine goes into the hero's bedroom. She takes off her dresss to let him see what she sees as her deformed breasts. Apparently one of the servants always told her that her breasts were too big and thus deformed and had the heroine bind her breasts so no one would know. The hero explains away this nonsense and takes her to bed. Title anyone? Thanks

message 2: by Annamariah (last edited May 30, 2017 01:54PM) (new)

Annamariah | 283 comments It might be The Duke by Catherine Coulter. The hero inherits a Scottish title and becomes the guardian of three sisters, the oldest of which is ashamed of her big breasts and hides them with a shawl because she believes herself deformed.

(view spoiler)

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 26 comments Annamariah: It's not The Duke, the hero and heroine don't have sex for the first time until the night before their wedding when she shows him her breasts. She also physically bound her breasts. Thanks though.

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 26 comments I believe the hero may have been engaged at the beginning of the story and brings her to meet his wards. I don't think they got along and the hero eventually breaks it off.

message 5: by Annamariah (new)

Annamariah | 283 comments It still sounds like The Duke, because he is already engaged but the bride is not nice at all and he breaks it off. It's funny how many similar books there are.

By the way, it seems that the story was originally published as The Generous Earl and was later re-written. I have no idea how much was changed in the process, so could you possibly have read the original version?

The Generous Earl (Regency, #4) by Catherine Coulter

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 26 comments Do you remember if in The Duke the heroine actually bound her breasts? That's the one scene I remember. The nite before they are to marry, the heroine goes into the hero's bedroom and takes off her dress to show him what she views as deformed breasts. He then takes her to bed.

message 7: by Annamariah (new)

Annamariah | 283 comments I'm pretty sure she did, but it's been years since I read the book. But I do remember that one of the servants had said something ugly about her breasts (maybe compared her to a cow) which was why she was so ashamed of them.

Google books allows you to read parts of books, so maybe you should check if it sounds familiar. If my link works, it should show you some of the "big reveal" scene.

message 8: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 26 comments The link worked , thank you. That maybe the book. The scene is a little different than what I remember but that's most likely my memory lol. Thank you!

message 9: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 26 comments I bought the book for my nook and it is the right book. Thank you Annamariah !

message 10: by Annamariah (new)

Annamariah | 283 comments Great :) You're welcome!

message 11: by Juels (new)

Juels | 2400 comments Glad you found your book.

The scene you described reminds me of a different book and I was wondering if you've read it. In Highland Wedding by Hannah Howell, the heroine visits the hero the night before their wedding. Her maid had convinced her that her breasts were too big and she had been binding them. She didn't want to deceive him and expected him to object to her "deformity". Yada, yada, yada, they have the wedding night before the wedding.

message 12: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 26 comments Juels- I don't believe I have read "Highland Wedding."!The character name Islean doesn't sound familiar neither does a heroine having 11 brothers.