Play Book Tag discussion

Trophy Hunt (Joe Pickett, #4)
This topic is about Trophy Hunt
May 2017: 2004 > Trophy Hunt / C J Box - 3***

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5633 comments Trophy Hunt (Joe Pickett, #4) by C.J. Box
Trophy Hunt – C J Box
3***

Book number four in the Joe Picket mystery series opens with Wyoming Game Warden Joe taking his daughters on a fishing trip. They discover the carcass of a moose, and Joe is disturbed to notice signs of mutilation. It’s only the beginning of the nightmare.

I like this series, mostly because I really like Joe Picket (and his wife, Marybeth). He is the quintessential “good guy,” fighting to preserve the environment and a peaceful setting for his family and the residents of Twelve Sleep County. Box gives us plenty of action – in addition to the moose there are cattle mutilations, a horse is attacked, and two men killed. His daughter’s playmates seem bent on leading her into trouble, and I about screamed in fright along with the kids when …. Well, I won’t spoil the action for you.

But I was dissatisfied with the ending. Too much “aliens” mumbo-jumbo, and a too-convenient demise made me feel as if Box had run out of ideas and turned to 1950s sci-fi films for inspiration. Still, it’s a good story and a fast read; I haven’t given up on the series, but I’m in no hurry to read the next one.

LINK to my review

message 2: by Charlie (new)

Charlie  Ravioli (charlie_ravioli) | 393 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Trophy Hunt (Joe Pickett, #4) by C.J. Box

Trophy Hunt
– C J Box
3***

Book number four in the Joe Picket mystery series opens with Wyoming Game Warden Joe taking his daughters on a fishing trip. They di..."

I've never read anything by Box (although I see his books displayed all the time). I just picked up my first one as an impulse buy, "Off The Grid." I'm coming off my second Longmire book in a month and my first Robert Crais book so I'm not sure I'll launch into Box yet, but I'm heartened by your having gone four books into the series. Thanks for sharing.

Ellen | 2083 comments I will second CJ Box. Great series!