Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Monday Puzzler > 29 May Puzzler

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hill | 487 comments Sorry! I had two sick boys today!
I am a series girl and this one is an entertaining one! I love how unapologetic the heroine is about about what she wants and that she is going after it. - Enjoy!

Hero stopped, turned back, and looked at her.

His eyes were green slits. His sensuous mouth was set. A muscle worked at his jaw near his right ear.
He was a large, powerful man. He was an English duke, a species known for its tendency to crush any small, annoying thing that got in its way.
His stance and expression would have terrified the average person. Heroine was not an average person.
She knew she’d waved a red cape in front of a bull. She’d done it as deliberately as an experienced matador might.
Now, like the bull, he was aware of no one else but her.
“Confound you,” he said. “Now I can’t storm away.”
“I shouldn’t blame you if you did,” she said. “You’ve been greatly provoked. But I warn you, your grace, I am the most determined woman you’ll ever meet, and I am determined to dress your duchess.”
“I’m tempted to say, ‘Over my dead body,’ ” he said, “but I have the harrowing suspicion that you will answer, ‘If necessary.’ ”
She smiled.
His countenance smoothed a degree and a wicked gleam came into his eyes.
“Does this mean you’ll do whatever is necessary?”
“I know what you’re thinking,” she said, “and that will not be necessary. Pray consider, your grace. What self-respecting lady would patronize a dressmaker who specializes in seducing the lady’s menfolk?”
“Ah, it’s a specialty, is it?”
“You of all men must know that seduction is an art, and some practitioners are more skilled than others,” she said. “I’ve chosen to apply my talents to dressing ladies beautifully. Women are capricious and difficult to please, yes. Men are easy to please but far more capricious.”
To a discerning woman, his beautiful face was wonderfully expressive. She watched, fascinated, while a speculative expression gradually erased the lingering signs of temper. He was puzzling over her, revising his original estimation and, therefore, his tactics.
This was an intelligent man. She had better be very careful.
“Frascati’s,” he said. “You’re a gambler.”
“The game of chance is my favorite sport,” she said. Gambling—with money, with people, with their futures—was a way of life for her family. “Roulette, especially. Pure chance.”
“This explains the risks you take with men you don’t know,” he said.
“Dressmaking is not a trade for the faint of heart,” she said.
The humor came back into his green eyes and the corners of his mouth quirked up. On any other man that look would have been charming. On him it was devastating. The eyes, the sweet little smile—it stabbed a girl to the heart and then lower down.
“So it would seem,” he said. “A more dangerous trade than I’d supposed.”
“You’ve no idea,” she said. “This promises to be interesting,” he said.
“I’ll see you at Frascati’s.”
He made her a bow, and it was pure masculine grace, the smooth and confident movement of a man completely at ease in his powerful body. He took his leave, and she watched him saunter away.
She watched scores of elegant hats and bonnets change direction as other women watched him pass. She’d thrown down the gauntlet and he’d taken it up, as she’d known he would. Now all she had to do was not end up on her back with that splendid body between her legs.
That was not going to be easy. But then, if it were easy, it wouldn’t be much fun.

message 2: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1186 comments Oh Rach! hope the boys feel better soon!!

AND YAY! I know this one!! It is a great series!

message 3: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your boys, Rachel.

I've been considering rereading this one and the others in the series because I am in the mood to read this author and her new one won't be released for another six months.

message 4: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2094 comments Mod
Wonderful series. Great choice!
I hope the boys are better soon.

message 5: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1917 comments Mod
Haven't read this one yet, but I'm pretty sure I know it. So many books, so little time...

Hope your boys are feeling better, Rachel!

message 6: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nikanne) | 222 comments I don't recognize it. Sounds good.

I too hope your boys are feeling better!

message 7: by Daniellegn (new)

Daniellegn | 237 comments Rachel, I hope you and your family are doing ok!

I know this one! I couldn't recall the title but I checked my virtual bookshelf to verify: it's Silk is for Seduction by Loretta Chase. (since it's Thursday I figured it would be ok to post) :)

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hill | 487 comments I am so sorry! Thank you Daniellegn!!! The book is Silk Is for Seduction (The Dressmakers, #1) by Loretta Chase - its a great little series about sisters! I love the way that each is individual yet a part still lovingly involved/annoyed with each other (can you tell I have a sister).

My boys are doing better! Thank you everyone for the get well wishes! I just happened to get what they have so I have been down for the count...