You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > The WhoDunIts (Team 4)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 372 (372 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Esther (last edited May 31, 2017 04:13AM) (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4145 comments Team 4:
Casceil
Cathie
Debra
Esther
Lisa
Peggy
Pragya
Sam F
TrudyAnn

Our spreadsheet

message 2: by Esther (last edited May 29, 2017 06:10PM) (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4145 comments Color tasks
Miss Scarlet - cover is mostly red or has the word “red” in the title
Prof. Plum - cover is mostly purple or has the word “purple” in the title
Mrs. Peacock - cover is mostly blue or has the word “blue" in the title
Mr. Green - cover is mostly green or has the word “green” in the title
Col. Mustard - cover is mostly yellow or has the word “yellow” in the title
Mrs. White - cover is mostly white or has the word “white” in the title

Weapons
Candlestick - There is a sun or fire on the cover or a fire plays a significant part in the story.
Dagger / Knife - MC works in the restaurant business. Owner, server, chef…
Lead pipe - MC is is a plumber or is doing house repairs. This can include refurbishing an old home for new use and does not need to be done by a professional.
Revolver - MC carries a gun. He/she could live in the old west, be a police officer, or be a criminal. It doesn’t matter as long as it is mentioned that they carry a gun. It can not be a one time used a gun, but rather this has to be their own weapon.
Rope - MC does rock climbing or tightrope walking. Or the story is set in/around a circus. The circus should be a main component of the story.
Wrench - MC is a handyman, mechanic, or repairman of some sort.

Room tasks
Kitchen - MC cooks a meal and food is described, not in a restaurant setting, or recipes are included in the book.
Ballroom - MC goes to a ball or dance or there is a fancy ballgown on the cover
Conservatory - MC is a gardener or there is a flower or flowers on the cover
Dining Room - Read a book about family coming together.
Billiard Room - MC plays billiards or goes to a pub, or another sport is a main component of the book.
Library - MC loves to read or a book about books or set in a library.
Lounge - MC is an actor / actress or plays music, sings, or performs poetry.
Hall - A book with a castle or great hall or set in medieval times.
Study - Book about a studious MC or set at a school or university.

message 3: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4145 comments reserved

message 4: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4145 comments reserved

message 5: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4145 comments ok...

Team 4 what exactly???? I'm clueless...

We need a team leader... and a spreadsheet guru.

I do not mind doing the spreadsheet but I may not be able to update it 2-3 times a day as I usually do.

message 6: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2613 comments So, we need a name, we need to know if someone on this team knows how to set up a spreadsheet (I don't), and we should probably decide what to tackle first (colors, weapons or rooms). Anyone have any thoughts?

message 7: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2613 comments Esther, apparently I posted at the same time you did, but we asked pretty much the same questions. There are nine of us. There are six characters, six weapons, and nine rooms. I think I have identified at least one book I can read for each category, but we will have to coordinate lest we all pick the same character or the same weapon. (With gun, that seems like a distinct possibility.)

message 8: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4145 comments Casceil wrote: " we should probably decide what to tackle first (colors, weapons or rooms). Anyone have any thoughts?"

what about we post our 1st books, 2 in my case as I always do an book and a audio at the same time and see where we stand?

message 9: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4145 comments Casceil, I think we are in synch. Posting the same thing at the same time.

message 10: by Esther (last edited May 29, 2017 06:41PM) (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4145 comments Let's see... I have books that can fit a lot of the categories but here are the two I would like to start with.

Col. Mustard: Half of a Yellow SunHalf of a Yellow Sun (audio)

Lounge: Night in Shanghai - MC is a pianist

message 11: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1627 comments I will start with Blue Monday (Miss Peacock, blue in title) then They Left Us Everything: A Memoir (dining room, family coming together).

As for team names, how about The Sherlocks, The Miss Marples, or The WhoDunIts?

message 12: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2613 comments I may start with The Rook The Rook (The Checquy Files, #1) by Daniel O'Malley for Miss Scarlet.

Another possibility is Give Up the Ghost for lead pipe.

message 13: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 915 comments Hi, just checking in and reserving my spot :-)

I'm not sure what I will be reading but I have a few choices. Anything in the list here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

So, if anything thinks something would fit in somewhere just let me know. Any of these I can start with first.

message 14: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Hello team mates!

I'll post my books in an hour or two, when I get to work.

I have lots of time during this toppler (for updating and being online, as work is very quiet, but don't think I can get away with reading during work hours ;-)) so I can attempt doing a spreadsheet and updating a few times per day or I can be teamleader (do we need one?). Or I just read ;-)

message 15: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments I like the names TrudyAn!

Perhaps if we all also state which tasks our planned books fit, we can see where we stand before we start, and maybe even make some changes to ensure we get maximum points.

message 16: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Oops sorry, you all did that. Just woke up and too excited!

message 17: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited May 30, 2017 02:19AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments I made a quick overview of what we have so far (which made me realize I might not be the best spreadsheet person. I thought it would work well with google spreadsheets but it doesn't, and I'm not sure whether Excel is convenient):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

I've selected 12 books for the toppler (will read probably 2), but I don't mind which ones. They fit the following tasks:

Mr Green
Candlestick
Dagger/Knife
Wrench
Kitchen
Conservatory
Library
Lounge
Hall

And some which I think will fit but I need confirmation
Dining room - The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives not sure if this is about a family coming together
Billiard room - Britt-Marie Was Here does football play a big enough role?
Study - Where She Went not sure if there's enough college setting or studying going on

I put myself down for Hall (A Morbid Taste for Bones) and Wrench (Blood Bound) but can easily switch to something else.

message 18: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Cathie wrote: "Hi, just checking in and reserving my spot :-)

I'm not sure what I will be reading but I have a few choices. Anything in the list here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list......"

Cathie, do you have any books that you have a preference for, and can you link them to the tasks? Or can you tell us which specific tasks you have books for? That makes it much easier to plan and make sure we have covered everything in the end :)

message 19: by Lisa (last edited May 30, 2017 01:53AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Hi team! Just checking in with you all. We have a great team here!

Some books I could/would like to read are:

Hall - Prince of Darkness
Library - The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry
Billiard Room - Taking the Fall
Study - The Foxhole Court

message 20: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Do you plan to read all 4 Lisa, or are those your favourites?

message 21: by Lisa (last edited May 30, 2017 02:12AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Peggy wrote: "Do you plan to read all 4 Lisa, or are those your favourites?"

No, I reckon I will only manage 2 or 3 of them, Peggy. I'm not going to have as much time for reading next week as I previously thought. I probably have some books that will fit other tasks but I will need to do some more gophering.

message 22: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments I put you down for library and study in the overview for now, is that okay? Just to see if we can get everything covered at least once :)

message 23: by Esther (last edited May 30, 2017 03:37AM) (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4145 comments Peggy wrote: "I made a quick overview of what we have so far (which made me realize I might not be the best spreadsheet person. I thought it would work well with google spreadsheets but it doesn't, and I'm not s..."

Want me to have a go at the spreadsheet and you can help maintain it? I am one of the weird ones who love doing them. Just the thought of doing one that calculated points and bonus automatically makes me smile... ok i'm out to of the closet. My name is Esther and I 'm an addict.....

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Peggy wrote: "I put you down for library and study in the overview for now, is that okay? Just to see if we can get everything covered at least once :)"

That's fine with me, Peggy :)

message 25: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited May 30, 2017 03:38AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Esther wrote: "Want me to have a go at the spreadsheet and you can help maintain it? I am one of the weird ones who love doing them. "

Sounds like a great plan! Thanks!

message 26: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4145 comments Peggy wrote: "Esther wrote: "Want me to have a go at the spreadsheet and you can help maintain it? I am one of the weird ones who love doing them. "

Sounds like a great plan! Thanks!"

I'll do it tonight.

message 27: by Lisa (last edited May 30, 2017 03:42AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments What are we going to call ourselves? My pick would be TrudyAn's suggestion of The WhoDunIts.

message 28: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Lol, I didn't see the addition to your message. I think it's a very useful addiction to have ;-)

What kind of program do you use to make them? I can only use Excel and do some basics in there. But I love to see things organized and coordinated and visible in spreadsheets (and graphs and diagrams and other visual presentations).

message 29: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12955 comments Peggy - Britt-Marie definitely fits the billiards task. I'm not sure about the other two. It would be helpful if someone else has read them.

message 30: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Thanks Kristie!

I have a lot of other options for the toppler, so if I'm not sure about the other two I can just leave them out :)

message 31: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2613 comments I think Peggy would be a great team leader.

message 32: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2613 comments I just picked up a bargain-book with a purple cover, The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag. That would give us Professor Plum, leaving open only green and white for characters.

message 33: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments I wouldn't mind coordinating our reads a bit :)

I have 3 books for green cover. I could do that task, but then someone else has to read hall or wrench. I might be able to do 3 books, but it's better to count on 2.

message 34: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Could you all let us know how many books you think you can read for the toppler? We should be able to get all categories completed once, but that information will give us a clue (haha!) on how to follow up our first reads.

I can do 2. Maybe 3, depending on length and whether bf is happy to amuse himself on Monday when we have a national holiday.

message 35: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1627 comments Then I will read The Sea for GREEN as my third book. That leaves only white for colours.

Casceil, you or Peggy would make a great team leader!

message 36: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Casceil, don't you want to be team leader?

message 37: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 915 comments Peggy wrote: "Cathie wrote: "Hi, just checking in and reserving my spot :-)

I'm not sure what I will be reading but I have a few choices. Anything in the list here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list......"

Hi Peggy,

I will figure out which goes in what category within the next couple of days. Problem being with some is, how do you know what a book contains until you have read it, lol.

message 38: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 915 comments I can read Life After Life by Kate Atkinson for white :-)

message 39: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1627 comments I can hopefully read four books - I noted these three above -
Blue
Dining room
Green

plus any of these for my fourth:
Kitchen
Candlestick
Conservatory
Wrench? (Would stone mason MC qualify?)
Lead pipe??? (Would The Big Necessity: The Unmentionable World of Human Waste and Why It Matters qualify? This is non-fiction, so there is no plumber MC, but it is about plumbing).

message 40: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Awesome Cathie! Now we've got all colours covered.

Thanks for the update trudyan. I'm not sure either about the two you have doubts about. Maybe check with Kristie :)

message 41: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1627 comments I will get clarification from Kristie once I know if either is needed to cover the tasks.

message 42: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I like the name WhoDunIts!

Will have to look at the books I ordered. Already, I have overlaps with other folks. Will try to get on here tomorrow with my top choices.

message 43: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Overlap is fine Debra. We can try to divide it so that everyone contributes to the first completion of all categories and then see if we can get another category done for a second time.

The things as they are in the spreadsheet now can still be switched around.

message 44: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments I like WhoDunIts too :)

message 45: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2613 comments The WhoDunIts is a fine name.

Some books fit more than one category. For example, The Rook, has a red cover, so I plan to read it for Miss Scarlet, but if someone else has a red book, the Rook could also be used for a weapon (gun), or a room (Hall). Esther is reading Half of a Yellow Sun for Col. Mustard, but it could be used for a candlestick if we need the weapon and can find another yellow book. So there is plenty of room to switch things around if needed.

message 46: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited May 30, 2017 11:32PM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments Check out the awesome spreadsheet Esther made:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

It has tabs and automatically counts our points! Esther, could you add it to the first post so that it's easy to find?

I think the books I'm scheduled for now fit only one task, but I do have some other books that fit multiple.

message 47: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14597 comments I had a look at the amount of books you indicated here or in the sign up thread. So far, taking the lowest number, we come to 22 (+ some books for Cathie). There are 21 tasks to complete to get the 40 bonus points, so we should be able to do that!

I think the best strategy after that would be to try to complete either the Colour or Weapons tasks again, as they have only 6 tasks and could give us an additional 20 points.

Cathie
Debra 5
Pragya 2
Sam F 2-3
Lisa 2-3
Casceil 3-5
TrudyAn 4
Esther 2-5
Peggy 2-3

message 48: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Our spreadsheet looks great, Esther! Thanks for doing that for us.

message 49: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 915 comments Woohoo ~ great spreadsheet Esther! :-)

I'm sorry, I thought I stated how many books I am hoping to read - 3 or 4 probably (hopefully). I have a yellow cover book - Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town by Stephen Leacock , that we can use if we want for Colonel Mustard too.

I was also going to try and read The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead but I'm not sure what category it might apply to - would it be a good one for??? Has anyone on this team read it and if so would it fit into any of the categories?

message 50: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 915 comments I was also thinking about maybe reading The Language of Hoofbeats by Catherine Ryan Hyde for Kitchen or Dining rooms ??? but maybe we don't need or want to do anymore rooms?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8