You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > The Butler Did 1T Chat

Comments Showing 1-50 of 277 (277 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Almeta (last edited Jun 10, 2017 03:53PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments  photo CLUEONE_zpsjsk07zbp.jpg

photo bc57153f-bd3f-48c2-b6e9-50702e54203f_zpsbcc9c3fe.jpg

HOW WAS MR. BODDY KILLED?
In the Dining Room, with a Knife, by Mrs. White!
Detectives are seeking Miss Scarlet for questioning, and Mrs. Peacock as a Material Witness.

Butler with Rose photo CLUEButler2_zpsdqfqxpaj.jpg SUSPECTS ~ 55 + 55 + 50 = 160

photo CLUEMaid5_zpsuj758698.jpg WEAPONS ~ 50 + 65 + 5 = 120

Butler photo CLUEButlerDrinking_zpsfz9u98qn.jpg ROOMS ~ 65 + 75 =140

3 SECTIONS BONUS Toe Tag photo CLUEToeTag_zps9cx1sock.jpg = 40 points
 photo CLUE460Third_zpspngeighw.jpg

message 2: by Almeta (last edited Jun 10, 2017 07:39AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments
The Butler Did 1T CLUE Accusations

The Butler Did 1T Case File

CLUE Rules

Almeta
Annerlee
Carol
jaxnsmom
Jenn
KimeyDiann
Lara
Rusalka
Tejas Janet

message 3: by Almeta (last edited May 30, 2017 04:47PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments Hello Team! Excited to get started on strategy!

Team name suggestions so far:
Room With a Clue
The Butler Did 1t!
Mean Colonel Mustard

Anyone adept at online spreadsheet creation?

I'd like to once again mark points with graphics, and help co-ordinate. I probably have the most time available.

message 4: by Almeta (last edited Jun 09, 2017 04:26PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments I have at least one book for every category, so I can help fill in anywhere that the team needs.

However here are my preferences:
No Cats Allowed (Cat in the Stacks, #7) by Miranda James No Cats Allowed ~ Library
He Done Her Wrong (Toby Peters, #8) by Stuart M. Kaminsky He Done Her Wrong ~ Lounge
Scratched by J.J. Partridge Scratched ~ Billiard Room
The Cat Who Said Cheese (Cat Who..., #18) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Cat Who Said Cheese ~ Kitchen
Reunion in Death (In Death, #14) by J.D. Robb Reunion in Death ~ Dining Room or Conservatory
St. Peter's Fair (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #4) by Ellis Peters St. Peter's Fair ~ Hall

The Devil's Bones (Body Farm, #3) by Jefferson Bass The Devil's Bones ~ Candlestick
The Edge of Justice by Clinton McKinzie The Edge of Justice ~ Rope

The Diviners (The Diviners, #1) by Libba Bray The Diviners - Plum
Make Me (Jack Reacher, #20) by Lee Child Make Me ~ Peacock
Neuromancer by William Gibson Neuromancer ~ Peacock
Nemesis (Harry Hole, #4) by Jo Nesbø Nemesis~ Revolver or Scarlet
A Thousand Years of Good Prayers by Yiyun Li A Thousand Years of Good Prayers ~ White

message 5: by jaxnsmom (last edited Jun 01, 2017 08:59AM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I'm going to try for 5 or 6 books. Here are my possibles so far:

Mrs. Peacock
Strong Signal (Cyberlove, #1) by Megan Erickson Strong Signal
Damaged Package by S.A. McAuley Damaged Package

Candlestick
Hot Head (Head #1) by Damon Suede Hot Head

Lead pipe
FU Fixer Uppers by Devon McCormack FU: Fixer Uppers

Revolver
Dyeing to be Loved (Curl Up and Dye Mysteries, #1) by Aimee Nicole Walker Dyeing to be Loved

Billiard Room
Playing to Win (Glasgow Lads, #2) by Avery Cockburn Playing to Win

Lounge
Jumping Jude (Made Marian, #3) by Lucy Lennox Jumping Jude

I could probably find a book for these if needed.
Dagger / Knife - MC works in the restaurant business. Owner, server, chef
Kitchen - MC cooks a meal and food is described, not in a restaurant setting, or recipes are included in the book.
Ballroom - MC goes to a ball or dance or there is a fancy ballgown on the cover
Conservatory - MC is a gardener or there is a flower or flowers on the cover
Study - Book about a studious MC or set at a school or university.

message 6: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Hi Team!

How about The Butler Did It!

I'm awful at spreadsheets, sorry.

message 7: by Almeta (last edited Jun 09, 2017 04:27PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments Anybody planning on reading a book of 400 pages or more?

I have The Edge of Justice @ 448 pages (rope),
and Nemesis @ 521 pages (Revolver or Scarlet),
or perhaps The Diviners @ 578 pages (Plum),
or perhaps @ 432 Make Me (Peacock).

message 8: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Hi Team!

How about The Butler Did It!....."

I like it!

message 9: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments Team name suggestion:
Mean Colonel Mustard

message 10: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16709 comments I thought we had another week!!

Right. Hello teamies! I have a job application to write in the next couple of days, so won't pop in a huge amount, but am around and will be all yours come Sunday (Sat your time). Happy with whatever team name you decide. All sound great so far.

I can do spreadsheet but I am usually only checking in once a day when you are all asleep, and will be even more so next week (new Dean starts next week, so we will all be crazy people between 9-5). SO if someone else is willing that would be awesome, but I can be backup.

message 11: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited May 30, 2017 06:55AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16709 comments I have at the moment. I'm sure I can think of more. Prefered with *

Miss Scarlet - A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder* or Red Queen (possibly the Hall)
Col Mustard - The Summer of Dead Toys* or The Secret Chord (and the Lounge)

Library - The Thirteenth Tale
Billiard Room - Strip Jack*
Study - Wonder Boys or The Marriage Plot (either of these will probably take me all week)

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 401 comments I am a dud at team names, which means my vote goes to the highest bidder or first to decide!

I'll input my ideas for books when i get home tonight. I'm having a little difficulty but had identified 5 - 6 options. Very much looking forward to this Toppler.

message 13: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments Rusalka wrote: "...I can do spreadsheet but I am usually only checking in once a day when you are all asleep, ..."

I'm working on a spreadsheet right now. I am used to Excel, so am stumbling through Google Spreadsheet. We'll see how it turns out.

I will not be insulted if someone else enthusiastically raises their had for this task! ☺

message 14: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments Hi team! I wish I were creative and could come up with team names, but I'm not. I just keep thinking it needs to have something to do with the library!

message 15: by Almeta (last edited Jun 01, 2017 05:41PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments Okay, I've created a spreadsheet for us.
The Butler Did 1t Spreadsheet

What you see is really a sample right now, with those books that the team members have listed so far. When the Toppler begins, all of the points will be removed and not entered until the book is actually read.

NOT ALL of the books listed in this sample will be read. Those tp which a commitment has been expresse are marked as such. Those with qa point value or are blank are still needed.
THIS IS ONLY A TEST!!!!

Comments? Suggestions?

message 16: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments Looks great, Almeta! Thanks for putting that together.

message 17: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments Okay I decided on the name!

message 18: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I've added a Prof Plum book to my possibilities. Bound and Determined  by Jane Davitt

message 19: by Almeta (last edited May 30, 2017 04:54PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments ***STRATEGY***In the category of Suspects, I absolutely plan on reading those shown in the worksheet. I am dominating that category because I appear to be the only person reading the number of pages to qualify for the 10 points.

If Rusalka reads for the Colonel Mustard category, then we only need someone to read for Mr Green to complete that section.

Willing to give up Mrs White, if someone else wants that task.

message 20: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16709 comments Can totally do that. I can probably read 3 books in total for the week, if we're really lucky 4.

I think I another option for me would be Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic for family coming together - Dining Room. I think they come together... but I will check when I am at home.

I'm sure I have a green book too. I'm just throwing books at the wall and seeing what sticks! Happy to read anything I put up. As long as I am useful!

Oh and love the name

message 21: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2640 comments I love the name too! It's nice to see how keen everyone is!

I can definitely commit to reading 4 books, possibly more, and am happy to fill in any gaps to complete categories.

I can't see the spreadsheet at the moment because I'm typing this on the work network (Googledrive is blocked), but I have a green book and want to read The Color Purple which will do for Prof Plum or 'flowers'. Both are on my list for the year challenge... If you want to assign me a theme, I'm happy to find something. I can likely cover a food / restaurant book too if needed.

The Color Purple by Alice Walker Skipping Christmas by John Grisham

Both are only 5 pointers...

message 22: by Almeta (last edited May 31, 2017 05:24AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments Annerlee wrote: ",,,.I have a green book and want to read The Color Purple which will do for Prof Plum or 'flowers'.."

Two good choices.

Thanks for the green cover. I placed The Color Purple in the Conservatory slot for now. It was such an epic movie, I was surprised to find it to be under 400 pages!

When everyone else "checks in" with their list of tasks, things might change positions. It is helpful to have books that suit more than one task.

message 23: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments If you are looking for a book for "Wrench ", Patricia Briggs's Mercy Thompson series would fit.

I've ordered one of the books in the series but I don't think it will be arriving on time.

message 24: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16709 comments Checking in, as brain is dead from job application writing.

I was thinking Mercy Thompson would be perfect too. Just don't have number 3! Bah.

I think Fun House will work for family. But I don't want to read too much now to make sure. It will fit green if nothing else.

message 25: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2070 comments Sorry that I'm so late chiming in, but my mind is a whir with possibilities (way more than is remotely possible for me lol). There are a bunch of past group reads (and nominees) that I didn't get around to Slade House for mustard, The Library at Mount Char, or The Thirteenth Tale for the library, Moon Called and series for wrench, and Dead Until Dark and series would work for the dagger/knife.

message 26: by Almeta (last edited May 31, 2017 09:00AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments Welcome photo BigNeonWelcome.png
WELCOME! Lara!!!

message 27: by Almeta (last edited May 31, 2017 08:12AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments Jenn wrote: "Sorry that I'm so late chiming in, but my mind is a whir with possibilities (way more than is remotely possible for me lol). There are a bunch of past group reads (and nominees) that I didn't get a..."

I gave both The Thirteenth Tale and Slade House five stars. The Thirteenth Tale would probably be a speedier read and counts for more points.

Yay, for Moon Called and Dead Until Dark.

Do you think you can read these four tasks in time?

message 28: by KimeyDiann (last edited May 31, 2017 02:01PM) (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments I've done just a little gophering. I'm thinking of a green cover because I need that for my yearly challenge as well.

The Eleventh Ring
The Way

That is as far as I have made it at the moment. I'm usually good for two books during a toppler, one written and one audio.

message 29: by Almeta (last edited Jun 01, 2017 05:27PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments Hey team, How's the gophering going? Any definite book plans?

***STRATEGY**We need a commitment for Lead Pipe, Revolver, Kitchen, Ballroom, Hall and Study.

jaxnsmom, have you chosen any specific ones to read from your list? Just a heads up, I don't think that Strong Signal will work for Mrs Peacock...Too much black.

message 30: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments KimeyDiann wrote: "I've done just a little gophering. I'm thinking of a green cover because I need that for my yearly challenge as well.

The Eleventh Ring
The Way..."

Always satisfying to combine the Toppler with challenge requirements!

message 31: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments Strike The Way off of my list. Amazon changed the cover of the kindle edition so it is no longer green on my kindle fire.

message 32: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments KimeyDiann wrote: "Strike The Way off of my list. Amazon changed the cover of the kindle edition so it is no longer green on my kindle fire."

Darn it!

message 33: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments Okay, I'll be reading:
The Eleventh Ring for Mr. Green - green cover.

and one of these two on audio (it'll just depend on my mood when I'm ready to start)

Blood and Bone for revolver - carries a gun (according to the search function on amazon, the MC carries a gun sometimes, but doesn't like it.)

or

Magic Bitter, Magic Sweet which I think fits both the kitchen and dagger tasks.

message 34: by Carol (last edited May 31, 2017 07:04PM) (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 401 comments I've got the Study covered. I'll either read Confessions by Kanae Minato or Literary Murder by Batya Gur.. I'm also planning to read Exit West (mrs. Peacock). I identified the following novels that qualify,if I can finish 3 books or if we need one of them covered:

Miss Scarlet -Sarong Party Girls
Col Mustard - Things Fall Apart
Mrs. White -Jeeves and the Tie That Binds
Conservatory - Some Prefer Nettles
Billiard room - A Season In Sinji
Lounge - Jazz Moon

message 35: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 401 comments By the way, if anyone wants to check out the cover of Jazz Moon by Joe Okonkwo and advise on whether it qualifies for Ballroom, I'd be glad to read it for that. It is set in 1920s jazz and blues clubs.

message 36: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments Carol wrote: "By the way, if anyone wants to check out the cover of Jazz Moon by Joe Okonkwo and advise on whether it qualifies for Ballroom, I'd be glad to read it for that. It is set in 1920s jazz and bl..."

Hard to tell about the cover, but I would think the content does qualify as going to a dance. Here is one excerpt: "The patrons unleashed a holler and, as if on cue, stood up and let loose, kicking up the Charleston, the Mess Around, the Black Bottom....."

message 37: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 401 comments Almeta wrote: "Carol wrote: "By the way, if anyone wants to check out the cover of Jazz Moon by Joe Okonkwo and advise on whether it qualifies for Ballroom, I'd be glad to read it for that. It is set in 192..."

Then there we are! Thanks, Almeta.

message 38: by Almeta (last edited May 31, 2017 06:06PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments Carol wrote: "I've got the Study covered. I'll either read Confessions by Kanae Minato or Literary Murder by Batya Gur.. I'm also planning to read [..."

Good list!

Thanks for committing to the Study task.

If you chose to read for Billiard room [bookcover:A Season in Sinji|3409808] A Season In Sinji take care that you get the edition with 175 pages or more.

message 39: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 401 comments Almeta wrote: "Carol wrote: "I've got the Study covered. I'll either read Confessions by Kanae Minato or Literary Murder by Batya Gur.. I'm also plan..."

Yes, mine has 192 pages. Thanks for the reminder.

message 40: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16709 comments OH! I think Fun Home would work for house repairs. The Dad, so the other MC in the book restores the family home to it's gothic glory apparently. That looks like it's a harder task than family coming together.

message 41: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2070 comments Almeta wrote: "Jenn wrote: "Sorry that I'm so late chiming in, but my mind is a whir with possibilities (way more than is remotely possible for me lol). There are a bunch of past group reads (and nominees) that I..."

Ummmmm, no . . . like I said eyes bigger than stomach syndrome . . . Looking at the spreadsheet I can probably be best used flushing out the Weapons 1 catagory, so I will aim for Living Dead in Dallas at 291 pages, and Blood Bound at 292 pages, and I'll see what the world is looking like at that point.

message 42: by Tejas Janet (last edited Jun 01, 2017 01:28AM) (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments My possibilities so far:

Ballroom - Cinder
Lounge - M Train
Study - The Centaur

Conservatory -
A Shower Of Summer Days by May Sarton

Billiard Room OR Mr Peacock -
Waterlog by Roger Deakin

Mr Mustard -
The Tempest by William Shakespeare

Candlestick - A Life in Smoke A Memoir by Julia Hansen

message 43: by Almeta (last edited Jun 01, 2017 08:00AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments Jenn wrote: "Almeta wrote: "Jenn wrote: "Sorry that I'm so late chiming in, but my mind is a whir with possibilities (way more than is remotely possible for me lol). There are a bunch of past group reads (and n..."

okay, Thanks.

I have you confirmed for Wrench and Knife. Right?

message 44: by Almeta (last edited Jun 01, 2017 07:58AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments Tejas Janet wrote: "My possibilities so far:..."

Good List.

Not so sure about A Life in Smoke: A Memoir. Although it sounds like an entertaining read!☺

message 45: by Almeta (last edited Jun 01, 2017 05:28PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments ***Strategy***
Rusalka, I have you down as confirmed for
The Summer of Dead Toys and A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder. Is that correct?

KimeyDiann The Eleventh Ring for Mr. Green is confirmed as one of your books. Is that right?

Need someone to commit to reading for the Lead Pipe task. I know a couple of you have listed it as a possibility, but not sure if you will actually be reading it.

Also need commitment for these rooms: Kitchen, Ballroom, Conservatory, Dining Room, Hall and Billiard Room.

Anyone else positive of reading certain books? I have listed your possibilities, but I don't know what you absolutely believe you will be finishing.

message 46: by jaxnsmom (last edited Jun 01, 2017 08:50AM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Almeta wrote: "Hey team, How's the gophering going? Any definite book plans?

***STRATEGY**We need a commitment for Lead Pipe, Revolver, Kitchen, Ballroom and Study.

jaxnsmom, have you chosen any specific ones t..."

Lead pipe and revolver are covered. Other than Mr. Plum, which I just found was unavailable, I planned on reading all my possibles unless there are too many of that category.

Also covered are billiard room, candlestick, and lounge. My books also fit for a challenge in another group, so I'm hoping to get them all in.

message 47: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Almeta wrote: "Hey team, How's the gophering going? Any definite book plans?

***STRATEGY**We need a commitment for Lead Pipe, Revolver, Kitchen, Ballroom and Study.

jaxnsmom, have you chosen any ..."

EXCELLENT!!!!

message 48: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I can cover Kitchen with Scam Chowder - it says recipes included.

message 49: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Reading:

candlestick - Hot Head
lead pipe - FU: Fixer Uppers
revolver - Dyeing to be Loved

kitchen - Scam Chowder
billiards - Playing to Win
lounge - Jumping Jude

That brings me to six books which is good. If I find I can fit in another, I'll see what's needed.

message 50: by Annerlee (last edited Jun 01, 2017 12:55PM) (new)

Annerlee | 2640 comments I need to read Harvest Home for the yearly challenge (401 pages) and it seems to fit with a few categories here as well, so I plan to read it for the toppler. Flicking through the pages, I'm pretty sure it covers 'Lead pipe: MC is doing house repairs'

Other categories that seem to be covered are:
Kitchen: cooking,
Dining Room: family coming together (in a creepy way probably)

I'll obviously know more when I've finished... unless someone else has read it and can advise?

There's corn on the cover but no flowers that I can see
Harvest Home by Thomas Tryon

« previous 1 3 4 5 6