The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2017 Group Reads - Archives > Nominations - July Book

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 4445 comments Mod
Since we were talking earlier about gothic elements, let's do a gothic book. Remember the book must be published between 1800 and 1910, and not been read by the group within the last two years.

message 2: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new)

Rosemarie | 2768 comments Mod
I would like to nominate The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux, published originally in French in 1909.

message 3: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Just posting to bump this up. It ended up at the bottom.

message 4: by Rafael (last edited May 30, 2017 12:38PM) (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 270 comments I would nominate Grimm's Fairy Tales again. I hope this is possible.

message 5: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Rafael wrote: "I would nominate Grimm's Fairy Tales again. I hope this is possible."

Yes renominations are definitely allowed

message 6: by Rafael (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 270 comments Ok, thank you!

message 7: by Frances, Moderator (new)

message 8: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 560 comments I second Grimm’s Fairy Tales. Have been wanting to read the real thing for a long time.

message 9: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments I wanted to nominate the Gothic of all Gothics -- The Mysteries of Udolpho -- but it was published in 1794, six years outside our range.

So I'll nominate a gothic by a somewhat lesser known Victorian author, Uncle Silas

John Sutherland, in the Stanford Companion to Victorian Fiction, says it is "often considered the best ghost story of the period." The Oxford Companion to English Literature says "the tale is one of suspense, without any supernatural element; but Maud's mounting terror at these events, seen through her eyes, is conveyed to the reader in a masterly manner."

message 10: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Everyman wrote: "I wanted to nominate the Gothic of all Gothics -- The Mysteries of Udolpho -- but it was published in 1794, six years outside our range.

So I'll nominate a gothic by a somewhat lesser known Victo..."

So sad Udolpho is outside of our time period. I loved that book. Uncle Silas is a fun great read too

message 11: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

I'm going to nominate Dracula. A bit of horror, but I'd also say gothic.

message 12: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Since it looks like nominations have stopped, I will put the poll up on Tuesday. You can nominate until then.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.