Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)
This topic is about The Way of Kings
BUDDY READS: ARCHIVED > The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive #1), by Brandon Sanderson → Start Date: June 5th, 2017

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kikijanika (last edited May 29, 2017 04:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kikijanika | 2977 comments Join me and Mallory as we read The way of kings by Brandon Sanderson :)

Here is a weekly schedule we can try to go by :)

Week 1 (June 5-11): prelude, prologue and Chapters 1-8
Week 2 (June 12-18): Chapters 9-17
Week 3 (June 19-25): Chapters 18-27
Week 4 (June 26-July 2): Chapters 28-36
Week 5 (July 3-9): Chapters 37-47
Week 6 (July 10-16): Chapters 48-57
Week 7 (July 17-23): Chapters 58-68
Week 8 (July 24-31): Chapters 69-75 and epilogue

You can either follow the plan or read quicker or slower, whichever suits you best!

Kikijanika | 2977 comments Does the schedule look ok to you Mallory?

message 3: by Mallory (new) - added it

Mallory | 118 comments Thank you for creating the thread and schedule! I just ordered my book and it should be here by the time we start. I'll try keeping up with the schedule :P

Kikijanika | 2977 comments Great :) Can't wait!

message 5: by Mallory (new) - added it

Mallory | 118 comments Started the book today! Trying to wrap my head around this new world and characters.

Kikijanika | 2977 comments Me, too. I have read the prelude and the prologue and I hope to read more today :)

message 7: by Kikijanika (last edited Jun 11, 2017 07:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kikijanika | 2977 comments I just finished chapter 8. First I had a little difficulties embracing the world and all its details and that made me read quite slowly. I feel like I'm getting more and more into the story, though. And I can only marvell on the amount of work, thinking and planning that must have gone into creating this detailed world!

I like Shallan (view spoiler)

I had a harder time getting into Kaladin's story because (view spoiler)

message 8: by Mallory (new) - added it

Mallory | 118 comments I'm already super behind! I'm just about to reach chapter 6, so you're more than welcome to read other books/read this one more slowly so I can talk to you about it :P

I do agree that it's taking me a while to read, not because it's boring, but because I'm trying to figure out who everyone is and where in the world we are.

Kikijanika | 2977 comments I most certainly get what you mean. So many things to get my mind around in this book. I'm almost done with the chapters scheduled for week two, so I think I'll read them and then will concentrate on other books, so you have time to catch up with me ☺

message 10: by Mallory (new) - added it

Mallory | 118 comments I finally made it to Chapter 8!

I'm enjoying both of their story lines so far.

I like Shallan's (view spoiler)

Kaladin's story (view spoiler)

message 11: by Kikijanika (last edited Jun 18, 2017 03:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kikijanika | 2977 comments Great! I just finished chapter 17. Now I can read something else and wait for you to catch up.

I agree that it's weird how (view spoiler)

I'm happy (view spoiler)

The structure of the story is interesting. I like the chapters that show Kaladin's past but so far Kaladin seems to be the only one who consistently makes an appearance in the story. Shallan, for instance hasn't been seen in a while. And then there are these totally random people in some of the interludes. Makes it harder to keep track of the characters. But I like the story a lot.

message 12: by Mallory (new) - added it

Mallory | 118 comments I'm sorry this is taking forever! I'm also about to start summer school, so I'll probably still be reading at this slow pace.

I also think that (view spoiler)

Also, (view spoiler)

message 13: by Kikijanika (last edited Jun 24, 2017 11:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kikijanika | 2977 comments Oh don't worry. I've got plenty of other books so I'm not in a hurry with this one. I put in on hold for the past week and guess I will resume reading it again tomorrow. But I have 3 other books I need to finish next week so I probably won't make much progress with this. Just take your time :)

message 14: by Mallory (new) - added it

Mallory | 118 comments I feel like a lot has happened in the past section.

Just wondering, how do you picture Dalinar?

Also, (view spoiler)

I'm glad that (view spoiler)

message 15: by Kikijanika (last edited Jul 03, 2017 10:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kikijanika | 2977 comments Yeah, I'm glad too, (view spoiler)

I also don't trust (view spoiler)

I'd like to know (view spoiler)

Dalinar (view spoiler)

message 16: by Kikijanika (last edited Jul 08, 2017 09:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kikijanika | 2977 comments I finished chapter 36.

I can't believe (view spoiler)

I think it's really official now (view spoiler)

When it comes to Dalinar, (view spoiler)

Kikijanika | 2977 comments I'll be travelling next week so I don't know how much I'll be able to read. I'll pack the book with me, though. At least I'll have plenty of time to read during flights ☺

message 18: by Mallory (new) - added it

Mallory | 118 comments I finally made it to Chapter 36! I hope you're having fun travels :)

I was thinking that (view spoiler)

I think so too. (view spoiler)

I forgot about (view spoiler)

And (view spoiler)

Kikijanika | 2977 comments Yeah I'm definitely having fun! I haven't had time to read at all but hopefully I will at some point. I also think that (view spoiler)

Kikijanika | 2977 comments I'm done with chapter 47.
I'd like to know (view spoiler)

It seems Shallan (view spoiler)

I still like reading the flashbacks about Kaladin's past. I like following the journey that has lead him where he is now. It's sad what happened to (view spoiler)

message 21: by Mallory (new) - added it

Mallory | 118 comments I'm glad you had a fun trip! I'm getting super behind in reading due to job searching and school (and a Netflix binge). I'm currently on chapter 38.

Kikijanika | 2977 comments I'll go back to work in 5 days so I try to read as much as possible before that. But I don't mind if you read slower. That's just how it is sometimes ☺

Kikijanika | 2977 comments I finished chapter 57.

I'm glad Sadeas (view spoiler)

It seems Kaladin's finally starting to see (view spoiler)

I'm confused about (view spoiler)

message 24: by Mallory (new) - added it

Mallory | 118 comments Finished Chapter 47

I'm (view spoiler)

I think (view spoiler)

I'm still wondering (view spoiler)

Kikijanika | 2977 comments I've had this on hold for a while because I've had other books I've needed to finish. I'd also like to know how Shallan fits into the story. I hope to continue this next week. I just still need to finish one book before I can get back to this.

message 26: by Mallory (new) - added it

Mallory | 118 comments Same here! I just started a new job and I moved, so I've been so exhausted lately. I've been in a bit of a reading slump lately

Kikijanika | 2977 comments Yeah..I totally get it! I've made progress..slow and steady :) I hope to read chapter 67 today. Then I only have one more chapter before reaching the end of week 7 :)

message 28: by Kikijanika (last edited Aug 31, 2017 07:10PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kikijanika | 2977 comments I finally made it to the end of "week 7". One more "week" to go.

I can't believe (view spoiler)

Kaladin's crew (view spoiler)

I wonder who (view spoiler)

message 29: by Kikijanika (last edited Sep 10, 2017 07:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kikijanika | 2977 comments I finished and I really liked the ending.

The parshendi (view spoiler)

It seems things ended well for (view spoiler)

It was great to finally learn (view spoiler)

I guess everyone's finally coming together in the next book. (view spoiler)