Brilliant Books You've Never Heard Of discussion

Group Chat > Introduce Yourself!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 184 (184 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Kristin B. (last edited May 29, 2017 03:44PM) (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Hello All,

It's nice to meet you!

I'm from Massachusetts, I have a day job as a Supervisor at a Call Center, I've been married for just over ten years, and we have a nine-year-old son. He's growing up to be quite the respectable little nerd. He loves everything from Alton Brown to Bill Nye. He can quote Doctor Who and has been Castiel for Halloween. (We're still working on an enjoyment of reading, but we'll get there.)

I am what I like to call a jack-of-all nerds, but master of none. I like a little bit from a lot of genres in movies, tv, games and of course books. I lean more towards Fantasy, with just a bit of Sci-Fi thrown in, occasionally dabbling in other genres. I follow my whims and am unapologetic regarding what I love and what I don't bother with.

My favorite part about reading is discussing it! I love new points of view and learning what other folks value in a story. I'm hoping that this club grows into a group of varied individuals looking to share new discoveries!

message 2: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 4 comments Hey everyone! I'm from Illinois but I'm currently living in Massachusetts. I am recently engaged to a man who is possibly even nerdier than I am.

I read just about everything as my moods dictate what I'm in the mood for. That said my favorite genres are modern fantasy, horror, humor, and combinations of those three. Surrealism is always a plus.

It's been a while since I've been able to read consistently and I'm looking forward to getting back into the swing of things!

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Hello, my name is Nikki, I'm 27 (soon to be 28), and live in Louisiana. I work for an escape room as a game master and also as the corporate sales and events coordinator.

I mainly read sci-fi, fantasy, non-fiction, and horror. Some of my favorite books are The Hobbit, The Secret Garden, Prey, Homeland, Hyperion, and of course the Harry Potter series.

If I had to pick a favorite book I've read this year it would be a tie between 1984 and The Graveyard Book

I've been trying to read more obscure and lesser known books and plan to make that a big part of my reading habit next year especially :)

message 4: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Hi Nikki! Welcome! I adored The Graveyard Book as well.

We're happy to have you aboard!

message 5: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) Hello,
and thanks for inviting me Nici.
I'm from Germany, and I'm a bookseller. I used to study English and Philosophy before that. I mainly read fantasy, but basically everything else as well if it sounds interesting. Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams, Ben Aaronovitch, Jonathan Stroud and Kai Meyer are some of my favourite present-day authors.

I'm curious to see what books I can discover on this group next year. (The rest of my reading year is too crammed already ^^')

Happy reading,
Auntie Terror

message 6: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Auntie Terror wrote: "Hello,
I'm from Germany, and I'm a bookseller. I used to study English and Philosophy before that. I mainly read fantasy, but basically everything else as well if ..."

Welcome, Auntie Terror! Happy to have you join us. I look forward to chatting about books with you in the new year. I can definitely sympathize with the long read list. :)

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Auntie Terror wrote: "Hello,
I'm from Germany, and I'm a bookseller. I used to study English and Philosophy before that. I mainly read fantasy, but basically everything else as well if ..."

Glad you joined :)
Welcome to the group

message 8: by A.E. (new)

A.E. Lowan (aelowan) | 4 comments Hi, I am an urban fantasy author who loves to find new books and new authors to fuel my reading addiction.

I am part of a three-person writing team and write full-time from the Missouri Ozarks.

My favorite genres are fantasy (in all its iterations), thrillers (especially espionage and science focused), and the occasional mystery.

I was a bookseller for years and my TBR pile has never recovered.

I'm very excited to meet you all and to uncover some little known gems.

message 9: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Welcome A.E. Happy to have you with us!

message 10: by David (new)

David Rose Hi, I'm David Rose, a reader/writer from South Africa, and I joined this group because I really like your concept. :)

message 11: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) David wrote: "Hi, I'm David Rose, a reader/writer from South Africa, and I joined this group because I really like your concept. :)"

Welcome, David! We're happy to have you! Happy reading. : )

message 12: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 1 comments Hello All!

I'm from Michigan, but am currently living overseas in the Middle East. It can get pretty lonely, and reading/book groups are not really part of the culture out here, so I decided to give this a shot!

I'm currently partially through 3 books right now (all doozies), so I probably won't join in for the January read, but I look forward to what February has to offer.

~Ellen

message 13: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Ellen wrote: "Hello All!

I'm from Michigan, but am currently living overseas in the Middle East. It can get pretty lonely, and reading/book groups are not really part of the culture out here, so I decided to gi..."

Welcome Ellen!

It does sound like it could get lonely so far from home. We're glad to have you join us and look forward to great book discussions!

message 14: by Zeeshan (last edited Jan 10, 2018 07:41PM) (new)

Zeeshan Iqbal | 2 comments hello friends.

i am teacher from Lahore, Pakistan. i am want to join this forum for educational purpose. Now i join University of the Punjab Lahore to study O Level. link: Education News

message 15: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Zeeshan wrote: "hello friends.

i am teacher from Lahore, Pakistan. i am want to join this forum for educational purpose. Now i join University of the Punjab Lahore to study O Level. link: Education News"

Welcome! We're happy to have you!

message 16: by Nishant (new)

Nishant Agarwal Hi,

I am an engineer in CA. I am trying to get back my childhood habit and love for reading books. Would love good suggestions.

message 17: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Hi Nishant,

We're happy to have you!

I'm sure some of us can offer you suggestions. What types of books do you like to read, or did you like when you were younger?

message 18: by Guilherme (new)

Guilherme  Tomishiyo | 1 comments Hi,

I'm a physics PhD student living in Brazil. I'm really fond of fantasy, sci-fi and historical fiction, and find few things more satisfying than being recommend to a good book. Sadly and somewhat ironically, I used to read much more before I join my post-graduation program, as technical reading sometimes takes all of my reading time. So I joined the group in the hopes of re engaging with this hobby which has been a passion since my childhood. All the best!

message 19: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Welcome, Guilherme!

Happy you could join us!

message 20: by Lisamarie (new)

Lisamarie Chorowiec (beautewolf) | 4 comments Hello all I'm Lisamarie, just released my first book, very exciting/scary. But hi here I am

message 21: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Welcome, Lisamarie and Mikayla!

Glad you're here!

message 22: by Simrat (new)

Simrat | 2 comments Hi, I am Simrat from India. I am an engineering student. I have just recently become a part Good Reads and this is the first group I joined, so quite excited. I am very fond of reading and would love to explore new books :) .

message 23: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Welcome, Simrat!

We're happy you joined us!

message 24: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Welcome, Jayce!

Glad you found our group!

message 25: by Lisamarie (new)

Lisamarie Chorowiec (beautewolf) | 4 comments Sick Humor by Lisamarie Chorowiec

this is mine

message 26: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Williams (thewrongwriter) | 5 comments Oh sacred Wrongness, I haven't posted here yet!

I'm a marketing content pro in Silicon Valley who writes sarcastic mystery & weird horror. I like to bill myself as "The Wrong Writer" because most of my beta readers wonder (openly) what's wrong with me. Sometimes I'm not even sure!

message 27: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Welcome, Christopher!

I love sarcasm! I think you'll fit in fine here. :)

message 28: by Maria (new)

Maria (lasarmoon) Hi everyone!
My name is Maria and I'm 13! I LOVE reading. I don't have any prefered genres, because I like a little bit of everything. Most of the books I read, are fantasy, fiction, classic, or humour, but I like to change it up a bit sometimes. I like writing in my spare time, because it's very fun and I would like to become an author when I grow up. That's basically it :) Right now, I'm reading One by Sarah Crossan - it's great!

~Maria

message 29: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Hi Maria,

Glad you've joined us! I'm always happy to come across young folks who enjoy reading.

message 30: by Mallory (new)

Mallory Kirkland (malloryscalerie) | 4 comments Hello! My name is Mallory and I live in Meridian, MS. I love to read and I'm looking for a group to share new genre experiences. I love true crime, romance and thrillers..little of this and that.

I would love to meet new people and please would someone let me know how this works...do I get the book you are reading or am I too late? Please be patient with me ...thanks! :)

message 31: by Ana (new)

Ana (valesv) | 1 comments Hi everyone! My name's Valeria, I'm 21, nursing student and a huge book lover. I love any gender of book (but I prefer YA, thrillers, sci-fi and love stories), and this year my goal is read 25 books so I would apreciate your recomendations :D Also, I really love to make new friends (specially when they're readers/writers hahah) ❤

message 32: by Kristin B. (last edited Jan 23, 2018 01:00PM) (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Mallory wrote: "Hello! My name is Mallory and I live in Meridian, MS. I love to read and I'm looking for a group to share new genre experiences. I love true crime, romance and thrillers..little of this and that.
..."

Hi Mallory. Welcome to the group! You can choose to join in on any reads you would like. Beauties in the Deep is our January read. It's a short book, only 68 pages, so there is still time to get through it before the month is over. Also, the comment threads stay up, so even if you're behind you can still join the discussion later on. Beauties is a tricky read to get a hold of, but I did find a very cheap e-book version if you use the link below. It's a textbook website, so it will ask if you are a teacher or student. I said student, because aren't we all always learning? ;)

https://www.vitalsource.com/products/...

You can always see what we're currently reading at the top of the group's homepage, and if it's close enough to the end of the month, you'll also be able to see what we're reading next.

Ana Valeria wrote: "Hi everyone! My name's Valeria, I'm 21, nursing student and a huge book lover. I love any gender of book (but I prefer YA, thrillers, sci-fi and love stories), and this year my goal is read 25 book..."

Hi Valeria! Welcome to the group! Hopefully you can find some new reader friends here!

message 33: by Benyakir (new)

Benyakir Horowitz | 1 comments Hi everybody,

My name is Ben, and I'm 27 years old (almost 28). I'm from Colorado and just returned after two years in Italy. I was studying and working as a teacher before I came back. After doing some soul-searching and trying it to blow off some steam, I realized that it's something I enjoyed doing quite a lot.

I used to be a big fan of Stephen King when I was little, but I had a period of awakening in my teens about science fiction. My brother got me into Isaac Asimov, and I found out about Philip K. Dick, and I've read a great amount of their books. Then when I got into university, I started having less time to read and started watching a lot more movies, especially sci-fi at the same time that I started studying it a little bit myself.

I've never been able to participate in much discussion of books, but I'm eager to learn and talk about new things, a driving force in other parts of my life.

message 34: by Mallory (new)

Mallory Kirkland (malloryscalerie) | 4 comments Kristin B. wrote: "Mallory wrote: "Hello! My name is Mallory and I live in Meridian, MS. I love to read and I'm looking for a group to share new genre experiences. I love true crime, romance and thrillers..little of ..."

Thanks so much Kristin!!

message 35: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Hi Ben!

Welcome to the group! We're happy to have you here!

message 36: by Katharina (last edited Feb 01, 2018 06:28AM) (new)

Katharina (kermiekat) | 5 comments Hi, all! I'm a few years away from forty, I work in IT for higher education, and I live in Colorado. This group looks great, so I'm excited to "meet" all of you. I, too, have come across some amazing authors through the Goodreads Giveaways and other means. I have turned out to be a bit of a lurker online in my "old age" because I don't tend to share a lot, but thanks for adding me to the group so I can keep up with all of you and learn something new.

message 37: by Monali (new)

Monali Haware | 1 comments Hi All, I 'm in my thirtys, I work in IT and live in India. I am not a book lover or love to read all the time!! but yes I do enjoy reading in free time. This Group is interesting I am sure my knowledge on books is going to be more extensive being here!!. Thank you to all of you!!!

message 38: by Jordanne (new)

Jordanne (jordannedunn) Hi everyone,

Thanks for letting me join! I'm Jordanne, I'm 18 and I'm an Apprentice Building Surveyor and live in Stoke-on-Trent in the UK. Pretty much all I do in my spare time is read, write and binge Netflix. I love Marvel and DC and graphic novels in general as well as your classics and prose and a selection of video games - primarily of the Nintendo group but I'll branch out to X-Box for Injustice.
Looking forward to the discussions on the group. :)

message 39: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Welcome Katharina, Monali and Jordanne!

Happy to have you all!

message 40: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Hi Katie,

Welcome, and good luck in the Spring Semester!

message 41: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez | 5 comments Hi y'all! I'm Michael, a hermit from social media making his debut back into the world. Wanting to pick up some new books, and just explore what I've missed since my self-imposed isolation.

I'm a reader of horror mostly, but I'll read just about anything if it catches my eyes.

message 42: by Mastare (new)

Mastare | 2 comments hi all dears
I'm Mastare. I'm 22 years old. I Am really into studying books, and as you know so many books, so little time.But I try to study more and more almost every day. I'm a student and university and my major is translating. I believe that in this world all the books are enjoyable but some a bit more for this reason I wanna study most famous books. Happy to have you all.

message 43: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Welcome Michael and Mastare!

I'm glad you joined our group.

message 44: by Cyn (new)

Cyn Hi everyone! I'm Cyn from California. I turn 22 soon. I have been reading almost all my life, with gaps that last about a year (I have a habit of settling on one of my hobbies at a time, from making origami to practicing Java to playing video games and watching TV). My favorite genres are dystopian/ post-apocalyptic and romance but I am trying to branch out and read different genres too :)

message 45: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez | 5 comments Hiya Cyn, hope you enjoy it here

message 46: by Cyn (new)

Cyn Thanks Michael! I look forward to discovering new books here

message 47: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Welcome, Cyn! Happy to have you here.

message 48: by Lola (new)

Lola | 1 comments Hello everyone,
I'm 21 and live in England. It's been awhile since I've read a book in it's entirety which is something I've really missed. This is the first group that I'm joining and hope the discussions will be just as stimulating as the books if not more!
The only genre I have a slight aversion to is probably Horror (fiction) even though I love Psychology and Crime.
Enough about me, It's lovely to meet you all!

message 49: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Welcome, Lola!

We're happy to have you!

message 50: by Robert (new)

Robert (rwoolst) | 1 comments Hi everyone. My name is Robert and I'm an avid reader of philosophy and Christian-based books in particular Stoicism and Ancient Greek Philosophy. I have a BA from Clemson University and a Masters of Library & Information Science (MLIS) from the University of South Carolina

I have several books out on Amazon that I've written and published on Philosophy and Stoicism. One book in particular, Neostoicism 2.0, explores the connection between Ancient Greek Stoicism and Christian theology. Interested members can check out my books at https://www.amazon.com/Robert-Woolsto... ---- Please contact me at woolstonrobert@gmail.com if you'd like to receive a complimentary copy of any of my philosophy books to read. review and leave a star rating on Amazon.

« previous 1 3 4