What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Just to chat > Books based on movies

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Miss Mara (new)

Miss Mara | 156 comments We all know there's tons of movie adaptations of books. But have you guys read any book adaptations of movies? What's your favourite if you have?

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather | 178 comments Jim Henson and a co-author wrote companion books for Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal. They may be hard to find, though, as they are now considered collector's items. I found a re-release of the one for The Dark Crystal several years ago, but the Labyrinth one hasn't been re-released yet.

message 3: by Random (last edited May 29, 2017 05:10PM) (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 103 comments I had The Dark Crystal as a kid. Loved both the movie and book. Actually I may still have it around here somewhere. I may have to dig it out.

Don't forget all the Star Wars and Star Trek novels.

I believe Kubrik contacted Clarke to actually write 2001: A Space Odyssey as a screen play. Novel and script were developed at the same time. Actually I believe the movie came out before the book.

message 4: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1322 comments MAYBE 'The 100' TV series. Could be completely wrong, but I kind of recall the makes saw a rough idea of a comic book, and decides to make a series. I THINK the comics were then going to follow the TV series.

message 5: by Rosa (last edited Jun 01, 2017 06:39PM) (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments Alright, I admit that I read Hero for Hire, which tells the story of the first Star Wars movie through Han Solo's perspective, and kind of liked it. And for some reason I desperately want to read Hairspray: The Novel and the Josie and the Pussycats novelization ( I really liked that movie). But apart from those, I would never read a book based on a movie.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenlb23) | 68 comments The The Last Song was written after the movie.

message 7: by Miss Mara (new)

Miss Mara | 156 comments I thought the movie for The Last Song was an adaptation of the book?

Cara's Craftsations | 1604 comments Rebecca wrote: "I thought the movie for The Last Song was an adaptation of the book?"

The Last Song was written specifically as the basis for the film adaptation

Fun fact Nicholas Sparks asked Miley Cyrus what she wanted to name her character she chosed Veronica "Ronnie" after her late grandfather Ronald "Ron" .

message 9: by Miss Mara (new)

Miss Mara | 156 comments I see.

message 10: by Bargle (last edited Jun 03, 2017 03:22AM) (new)

Bargle | 1217 comments The only one I've read was Ode to Billy Joe by Herman Raucher. The movie was based on the Bobbie Gentry hit song.

message 12: by Yue (new)

Yue | 137 comments I've read Penelope and Dead Poets Society, that I remember of. And there is also Clueless (in my TBR shelf)

message 14: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments What are your favorites, C?

message 16: by Rosa (last edited Jun 17, 2017 11:24PM) (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments All right, one more: Who Framed Roger Rabbit? I read the book on which the movie was based, Who Censored Roger Rabbit?, and loved it. Then I watched the movie and couldn't follow it at all after a certain point--pretty early on. So now I want to read the book based on the movie, to help me understand the movie.