Brilliant Books You've Never Heard Of discussion

Group Business > Welcome!

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristin B. (last edited Jun 08, 2017 10:13AM) (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Hello!
I'm excited to be starting this new book club. I'm hoping to attract folks looking for something new.

Through various channels, including Giveaways right here on Goodreads, I have found some truly amazing books. Sadly, so many of them are underappreciated.

I want to give those books a venue.

Each month we will choose a book that meets the following criteria:
-Published after 1960, but at least six months old
-Fewer than 5,000 Goodreads ratings
-No Author Self-promotion

That's it! Genre and page count don't matter here. We're looking to find hidden gems of all kinds.

This is a brand new group so the nomination and polling process will very likely evolve. I'll post updated rules as things change.

Thanks for joining me. I'm looking forward to making some new friends and finding some new reads!

message 2: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) By popular demand I am upping the ratings requirement from 3,000 to 5,000.

message 3: by Jazzy (last edited Mar 04, 2018 07:45AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) I would like to know why the books have to be published AFTER 1960, there are a myriad of lost, forgotten, and brilliant books published far before that.

In fact, if we find some brilliant old treasures we can probably download them for free from Project Gutenberg.

A case in point is Mademoiselle de Maupin by Théophile Gautier
this was originally published in 1835, Penguin books have brought it out again in 2005, but it has a mere 817 ratings on goodreads.

You can download it free from several sites on the net.

message 4: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Jazzy wrote: "I would like to know why the books have to be published AFTER 1960, there are a myriad of lost, forgotten, and brilliant books published far before that.

In fact, if we find some brilliant old tr..."

There are a bunch of book clubs that read classics. I really wanted to focus on giving a spotlight to authors who could still benefit from some additional attention. IE, those that are still alive. ;) I know there are a lot of amazing older books out there, but I wanted this group to be a bit more specialized to help the amazing lesser known authors that are out there now, trying to be seen.

If you're looking for groups that read classics I know of two fairly active ones that you can check out. Links below:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

This one in particular focuses on lesser known classics.
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...
(This is actually the group that gave me the idea to start Brilliant Books. I loved the idea of looking at lesser known works, but wanted a more modern focus.)

Thanks for your great question! Happy reading!

message 5: by Jazzy (last edited Mar 04, 2018 04:36PM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) But you fail to see that these forgotten books are NOT classics, they are little known, little read treasures by amazing lesser known authors.

The definition of a classic book: "A classic is a book accepted as being exemplary or noteworthy, for example through an imprimatur such as being listed in a list of great books, or through a reader's personal opinion." It has NOTHING to do with when it was written.

There seems to be no club for these and I've stumbled here by mistake.

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim Hi. I'm a bit lost... I can see where to nominate and second books for each month, but I can't see which book was selected? E.g. where do I find the book nominated for reading this month? I'm sure I'm missing something obvious!

message 7: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) If you are on the full website, the book we read each month is listed on the main group page under "Currently Reading."

You can also go to "Polls" on the right to see what books won each poll, and which books are currently being voted on.

Also on the right, you can click on "Bookshelf" which will show all the books we're read in the past, along with the current book.

Under the "Group Read" folder, which you can find from the main page of the group as well, you will find all the discussion posts.

For this month, we are reading Freaks I've Met.

And there is still plenty of time to vote on the book we read for April here:
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Hope that helps!

(I will admit that I find the app really difficult to navigate, so I am not much use in helping there. I always use the desktop site, even when I'm on my phone.)

message 8: by Kim (new)

Kim Kristin B. wrote: "If you are on the full website, the book we read each month is listed on the main group page under "Currently Reading."

You can also go to "Polls" on the right to see what books won each poll, an..."

Thank you so much!

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim Hi Kristin, I just wanted to ask, if you nominate a book and it doesn't get chosen, can you nominate it again at another time? Thanks! Kim

message 10: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Kim wrote: "Hi Kristin, I just wanted to ask, if you nominate a book and it doesn't get chosen, can you nominate it again at another time? Thanks! Kim"

You sure can!

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim Kristin B. wrote: "Kim wrote: "Hi Kristin, I just wanted to ask, if you nominate a book and it doesn't get chosen, can you nominate it again at another time? Thanks! Kim"

You sure can!"

Thank you :)

message 12: by Zsofi (new)

Zsofi | 4 comments Hi Kristin, is there a thread to suggest books for side-reads or buddy reads maybe?

message 13: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Zsofi wrote: "Hi Kristin, is there a thread to suggest books for side-reads or buddy reads maybe?"

There is now!

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 14: by Zsofi (new)

Zsofi | 4 comments Thank you! That’s awesome!

Brilliant Books You've Never Heard Of

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Mademoiselle de Maupin (other topics)
Freaks I've Met (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Théophile Gautier (other topics)