Art Lovers discussion

Open for Debate > Art--Talent vs Ego

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather I'm not sure I titled this thread in a way that makes the topic apparent, but I am interested in different views and opinions of art in general and the interaction artists have with the public, museums, critics, and the media (or other interaction that you can think of).

I'm taking a statement made by Aaron in another thread about a week ago and want to start from here.

I hope we can have a good discussion, though it is my current impression that the majority of us agree on this topic.

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather Aaron said "The box could in fact symbolize something, the blank canvas pieces I'm not really sure are they supposed to be windows to our own soul or the artists?

The pure white canvas I saw in an exhibit screams of an intellectual game, none of the students in my class could get away with promoting a blank canvas, and yet because this artist already went through the intellectual rigors they're allowed to.

That essentially says art is not about expression, but it is about ego, and elitism (in that particular case).

message 3: by A (last edited May 29, 2017 08:28PM) (new)

A | 270 comments Hi Heather, I'm still looking for group interruption for the "pictures of nothing", but I'd settle for a take on the box too.

There is definitely ego involved in a signature, whether it is an alter ego or the real one. Still I believe others use alter egos to be confidential, but they cannot control their brand once it's out there (well entirely that is).

message 4: by Heather (last edited May 29, 2017 09:50PM) (new)

Heather Yes, taking it a bit further and a bit of a farce, what about the 'signature' (or initials) itself? That alone could make or break a piece. I like my initials and call them my best work of art. But I can't take a blank canvas and put my initials in the bottom corner to sell for over a million unless I 'know someone'.

What if I had a rich relative with a different last name which wouldn't identify him or her to myself, and they bought my blank canvas for quite a sum...would it then be worth something?

message 5: by A (new)

A | 270 comments It might be inflated, but I like your siggy.

message 6: by Heather (last edited May 29, 2017 09:55PM) (new)

Heather Aaron wrote: "It might be inflated, but I like your siggy."

I got embarrassed and deleted it. *blush*

message 7: by A (new)

A | 270 comments Hah, I'd say you're ready to start making "art"!

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather Aaron wrote: "I'm still looking for group interruption for the "pictures of nothing", but I'd settle for a take on the box too.

There is definitely ego involved in a signature, whether it is an alter ego or the real one. Still I believe others use alter egos to be confidential, but they cannot control their brand once it's out there (well entirely that is)."

Anyone else have thoughts?