Horror Aficionados discussion

Wakefield
This topic is about Wakefield
Buddy Reads > Wakefield

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Latasha (latasha513) | 10647 comments Mod
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

We'll begin Tuesday, the 30th. This is soon to be a movie so let's read it so we can tear the movie to shreds lol. joking! I hope it's great.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by Canavan (new)

Canavan | 548 comments Just some quick thoughts. Minimal spoilers.

I read Hawthorne’s “Wakefield” over the weekend. It’s an interesting story (one I’ve not read before), and I’m still perhaps in the process of digesting it. It’s clearly a Hawthorne product, the author once again expressing his fascination with the idea of the person who exists (whether through external circumstances or whether, as here, of the person’s own volition) outside of the social compact.

I think I recall reading somewhere that the story is sort of based on fact — inspired by some snippet Hawthorne supposedly read in a newspaper. But I certainly wouldn’t call this a piece of naturalistic writing. It has (to me at least) an almost surrealistic feel to it. I see the Wakefield character as something of a stand-in for the average joe who, committing some small sin, sees the result of that error snowball to the extent that he feels unable to reverse the cumulative effects (another Hawthorne preoccupation).

✭✭✭

Wow, that's very interesting. I had read this before but I listened to it today. I'm going to have get a written copy to digest the language. I usually don't have a problem with it but in this one, I kept thinking, wait what did he say?

message 4: by Anne (w/ an E) (last edited Jun 06, 2017 02:44PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 730 comments I read this over the weekend and thought it was a good story. I have to wonder if Wakefield was mentally unstable or if he was actually watching to see what his wife would do after he was gone. His staying away for 20 yrs makes me suspect the first. Any input from my reading buddies?

the first time I read it, I thought this man has some deep depression. then Canavan's bit made me think to look deeper. so I skimmed over it in text but I still felt he was extremely depressed. so I went to reviews to see if I could pick up anything else and found this one really interesting and helpful

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 6: by Canavan (new)

Canavan | 548 comments Anne (w/ an E) said (in part):

I have to wonder if Wakefield was mentally unstable or if he was actually watching to see what his wife would do after he was gone. His staying away for 20 yrs makes me suspect the first. Any input from my reading buddies?

I wouldn't go so far as to to say that the actions of Hawthorne’s characters are totally divorced from psychological reality, but I don’t read him the same way I do Henry James. I don’t think Hawthorne is particularly interested in the psychological states of specific individuals; I think he is more interested in drawing general conclusions about the nature of mankind and sin (i.e., moral error) and the character of Wakefield is merely a tool the author uses to achieve that end. (Hope that makes at least a little sense.)