Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Monthly Challenges > June 2017 - Spelling Summer

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Krysta (last edited May 29, 2017 03:04PM) (new)

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments June 2017 Monthly Challenge – Spelling Summer
Duration: June 1st, 2017 – June 30th, 2017

To get our challenges back up and running, this month's challenge will be fairly easy to get you all back in to the swing of things.

All you have to do is select one or more words from the word bank and spell them using your books! You may use the book's title, or the author's first or last initial (no middle initials).
If you were with us in 2016 for our challenges, the basic challenge rules are the same.

There are no set "difficulty levels" because the words are all different lengths. So feel free to choose a long word, or start off with an easier, shorter word.
You can always add more later!

Challenge Rules:
→ When you sign up for the challenge, please post some kind of a place saver so that I can link you up under the participants. Once you have decided on your books, just edit that post so that the link under the Participants List will go to your list!

→ When you finish reading a book, please edit your post and add the date completed.

→ You may only use each book once in the challenge, but feel free to use the same titles in other challenges!

→ When you complete the challenge, please copy and paste your entire, completed list as a brand new message to make it easier for everyone to see what you've read, and to have your name marked as "completed".

→ If you decide that you've bitten off more than you can chew, feel free to let me know you'd like to downgrade, or even back out of the challenge. Please do not delete the post. It will mess up the links to other participants' postings if you do.

Word Bank:
JUNE
ROSE
FLAG
PEARL
FATHER
GEMINI
CANCER
SUMMER
SOLSTICE
WEDDING
WIMBLEDON

message 2: by Krysta (last edited Jul 07, 2017 10:17AM) (new)

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments Participants:
(In Alphabetical Order)

Bobbie Finished!
Jalissa
J.C. Finished!
Jen Finished!
Krysta Late Finisher
Natalie
Randi
Robin Finished!
Shannon

message 3: by Krysta (last edited Jul 07, 2017 10:16AM) (new)

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments June 2017 Monthly Challenge – Spelling Summer

4/4 Finished

F Flirt by Laurell K. Hamilton Finished 6/8/17
L The Last Star by Rick Yancey Finished 7/3/17
A Awaken by Amber Flora Finished 6/9/17
G Paper Towns by John Green Finished 6/30/17

Flirt (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #18) by Laurell K. Hamilton The Last Star (The 5th Wave, #3) by Rick Yancey Awaken (Between Two Realms #1) by Amber Flora Paper Towns by John Green

message 4: by Shannon (new)

Shannon F
L
A
G

message 5: by Robin (last edited Jun 28, 2017 08:51PM) (new)

Robin (robinpickell) | 1138 comments Wow, I gotta join, it's been a while since I did a reading challenge on here.

June 2017 Monthly Challenge - Spelling Summer - Completed 06.26.2017

Paisley , ✌(-‿-)✌ Celia Kyle 6/? completed
E.A. Price , A Mate for the Beta, E.A. Price 1/?
Alanea Alder , My Defender, ❣ฺ✍ฺ(◕ฺv◕ฺ)✌ฺ
Rebecca , ✌(-‿-)✌ Celia Kyle 4/? completed
Lorelei , ✌(-‿-)✌ Celia Kyle 5/? completed

Gabriella , ✌(-‿-)✌ Celia Kyle 2/? completed
E.A. Price , The Alpha's Mate, E.A. Price 2/? ヾ(^ ^ゞ
My Champion , & another review! I am so proud of myself. (⌯⌅⌄⌅)
Immortal Ops: New & Lengthened 2016 Anniversary Edition , (^~^;)ゞ Mandy M. Roth 1/?
Noragami: Stray God, Vol. 1 & 2, Noragami, *sigh*
Id_entity Volume 1 & 2, Id_entity/Yureka V.1-2 review

Scarlet , ✌(-‿-)✌ Celia Kyle 1/? completed
Ultra Maniac, Vol. 01-5, series completed & reviewed
My Brother's Keeper , & finally reviewed, go me!
My Guardian , another review, muh-ha-ha-ha
E.A. Price , Running from the Vampire into the Arms of the Wolf, E.A. Price 3/? ヾ(^ ^ゞ
Rafael , Gargoyles! ♡〜٩( ˃́▿˂̀ )۶〜♡

I'm adding another word to my list (06.15.17)

Faith Gibson , Julian, Gargoyles! ♡〜٩( ˃́▿˂̀ )۶〜♡
Light My Fire , A book I genuinely feel eclipses 5 STARS
Aya Shouoto , Kiss of the Rose Princess, Vol. 1, & I want my life back . . .
Gregor , Gargoyles! ♡〜٩( ˃́▿˂̀ )۶〜♡

Alternate "A" Aiken, G. A., Feel the Burn, Another book I genuinely feel eclipses 5 STARS
THE WALL:

PEARL: Paisley (Alpha Marked, #6) by Celia Kyle A Mate for the Beta (Grey Wolf Pack, #1) by E.A. Price My Defender (Bewitched and Bewildered #8) by Alanea Alder Rebecca (Alpha Marked, #4) by Celia Kyle Lorelei (Alpha Marked, #5) by Celia Kyle (5/5)

GEMINI: Gabriella (Alpha Marked, #2) by Celia Kyle The Alpha's Mate (Grey Wolf Pack, #2) by E.A. Price My Champion (Bewitched and Bewildered, #7) by Alanea Alder Immortal Ops New & Lengthened 2016 Anniversary Edition by Mandy M. Roth Noragami Stray God, Vol. 1 (Noragami Stray God, #1) by Adachitoka Id_entity Volume 1 by Hee Joon Son (6/6)

SUMMER: Scarlet (Alpha Marked, #1) by Celia Kyle Ultra Maniac, Vol. 05 by Wataru Yoshizumi My Brother's Keeper (Bewitched and Bewildered, #5) by Alanea Alder My Guardian (Bewitched and Bewildered, #6) by Alanea Alder Running from the Vampire into the Arms of the Wolf (Grey Wolf Pack, #4) by E.A. Price Rafael (Stone Society #1) by Faith Gibson (6/6)

FLAG: Julian (The Stone Society, #9) by Faith Gibson Light My Fire (Dragon Kin, #7) by G.A. Aiken Kiss of the Rose Princess, Vol. 1 by Aya Shouoto Gregor (Stone Society #2) by Faith Gibson (4/4)

message 6: by Jen (last edited Jul 02, 2017 11:48PM) (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments I'm interested in doing this one, too, but I've been really horrible at updating my challenges in recent months. So would it be okay if I sign up and then update at some unknown date in the [hopefully still in 2017] future? :-)

If yes, I'll use this post as my update post. :-)

But...I haven't decided on a word, yet. Maybe FATHER, since my Dad's 70th birthday would have been this July 3. Or maybe CANCER, since that's what my Dad's zodiac sign was. Or maybe both? We'll see. . .

I spelled both FATHER and CANCER (my Dad was a Cancer) between June 1 and June 24! (And then I replaced the three graphic novels I used by June 30!)

FATHER:
F: Falling Awake by Jayne Ann Krentz. Read 06/30/2017. ★★★★★ My review.
A: Amanda Quick's The Girl Who Knew Too Much. Read 06/22/2017. ★★★★ My review.
T: Taylor, Laini's Strange the Dreamer. Finished 06/09/2017. ★★★★ My review.
H: Harper, Molly's And One Last Thing ..., Read 06/21/2017. ★★★★ My review.
E: Estep, Jennifer's Spider's Bite. Read 06/19/2017. ★★★★★ My review.
R: Robin LaFevers's Dark Triumph. Finished 06/02/2017. ★★★★ My review.

CANCER:
C: Cherie Priest's Brimstone. Read 06/27/2017. ★★★★ My review.
A: All Night Long by Jayne Ann Krentz. Read 06/23/2017. ★★★★★ My review.
N: New York 2140 by Kim Stanley Robinson. Finished 06/14/2017. ★★ My review.
C: Coyote Road: Trickster Tales, The, ed. by Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling. Finished 06/29/2017. ★★★★ My review.
E: Estep, Jennifer's Web of Lies. Read 06/20/2017. ★★★★★ My review.
R: Red as Blood, or Tales from the Sisters Grimmer: Expanded Edition by Tanith Lee. Read 06/24/2017. ★★★½ My review.

Duration: June 1 - June 30, 2017 :-)
12/12 Completed:

Falling Awake by Jayne Ann Krentz The Girl Who Knew Too Much by Amanda Quick Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer, #1) by Laini Taylor And One Last Thing ... by Molly Harper Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1) by Jennifer Estep Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2) by Robin LaFevers
Brimstone by Cherie Priest All Night Long by Jayne Ann Krentz New York 2140 by Kim Stanley Robinson The Coyote Road Trickster Tales by Ellen Datlow Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2) by Jennifer Estep Red as Blood, or Tales from the Sisters Grimmer Expanded Edition by Tanith Lee

message 7: by Bobbie (last edited Jun 26, 2017 09:26PM) (new)

Bobbie | 29 comments Hi, like Robin I haven't done a challenge for a looooooong time. I would like to do this one. I haven't decided on a word yet.

June is a busy month for my family. Four birthdays & 2 Father's Day. I'm going to go for Flag Day, June 14. This was the day my daughter & best friend was born.

Fforde, Jasper, The Eyre Affair
Laurenston, Shelly, The Mane Event
Alanea Alder , My Commander
Greenburg, Lee & Janet Evanovich, The Shell Game

Davidson, Mary Janice, Me, Myself and Why?
Alanea Alder , My Protector
Yours, Mine, and Ours

The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1) by Jasper Fforde The Mane Event (Pride, #1) by Shelly Laurenston My Commander (Bewitched and Bewildered, #1) by Alanea Alder The Shell Game (Fox and O'Hare #0.25) by Janet Evanovich Me, Myself and Why? (Cadence Jones, #1) by MaryJanice Davidson My Protector (Bewitched and Bewildered, #2) by Alanea Alder Yours, Mine, and Ours (Cadence Jones, #2) by MaryJanice Davidson (7/7) =>completed 6/26/17

message 8: by Natalie (last edited Jun 22, 2017 11:45AM) (new)

Natalie A. 5/6 COMPLETED - I'll go with CANCER

(C)hloe Neill - Blood Games - IN PROGRESS

(A)fterbirth (First Blood) - Krystell Lake - COMPLETED 06/20

(N)ice Guys Bite (Elemental Assassin) - Jennifer Estep - COMPLETED 06/22
(C)hance, Karen - Reap the Wind (Cassie Palmer) - COMPLETED 06/13

(E)step, Jennifer - Unwanted (Elemental Assassin) - COMPLETED 06/21

(R)eynolds, D.B. - Deception (Vampires in America) - COMPLETED 06/16

Blood Games (Chicagoland Vampires, #10) by Chloe Neill Afterbirth (A First Blood Novel) by Krystell Lake Nice Guys Bite (Elemental Assassin, #15.5) by Jennifer Estep Reap the Wind (Cassandra Palmer, #7) by Karen Chance Unwanted (Elemental Assassin, #14.5) by Jennifer Estep Deception (Vampires in America, #9) by D.B. Reynolds

message 9: by Myst (new)

Myst | 108 comments Argh, I want to do these challenges, but they don't fit with my tbr this year (too many J's and K's). If I wasn't behind on the tbr I'd try to squeeze June or Flag in, but it doesn't look like it'll work.

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Studioso (nstudio68) Hi, I'm brand new to this group and to a reading challenge, so I might need some help here. I'd like to chose either

SUMMER or
SOLSTICE,

however, I do not know how to create a placeholder not do I know which books I'll be reading yet... can I still join?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Theming you in advance,
Nicole S.

message 11: by Krysta (new)

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments Jen wrote: "I'm interested in doing this one, too, but I've been really horrible at updating my challenges in recent months. So would it be okay if I sign up and then update at some unknown date in the [hopefu..."

The point of the challenges is to finish the books in June, however I would feel VERY hypocritical if I said you couldn't update at a later date.
So, how about striving to finish in June, but if you can't update the post until later, okay. But still try to at least get the right books read this month.

Is that fair?

message 12: by Krysta (new)

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments Myst wrote: "Argh, I want to do these challenges, but they don't fit with my tbr this year (too many J's and K's). If I wasn't behind on the tbr I'd try to squeeze June or Flag in, but it doesn't look like it'l..."

No worries!
July's challenge won't be so dependent on titles/authors. This was an easier challenge for me to write up for this month, as I am starting to get everything back up and running.
I'll put a little more thought.creativity in to the future challenges.

message 13: by Krysta (new)

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments Nicole wrote: "Hi, I'm brand new to this group and to a reading challenge, so I might need some help here. I'd like to chose either

SUMMER or
SOLSTICE,

however, I do not know how to create a placeholder not do..."

Glad you could join us!
Your original post (the one I'm replying to) can serve as your placeholder.
All you would need to do is click the little "edit" button on the bottom-right side of the comment and you can edit the text as often as you'd like!
Most of us don't know what books we will be reading yet or which word we will be attempting, and that handy-dandy "edit" button is a life saver!

If you're still not sure what you're doing, feel free to send me a message and I'll see if I can make a little step-by-step guide with pictures to send you.

message 14: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments Krysta wrote: "So, how about striving to finish in June, but if you can't update the post until later, okay. But still try to at least get the right books read this month...."

That works great, Krysta! I figure it won't be a problem to finagle the books I read in June into this challenge (or any other challenges I'm in). It's just the updating that I fall behind on, not the reading. :-)

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Studioso (nstudio68) @Krysta, thank you for the help and feedback! Greatly appreciate any and all help!

message 16: by Randi (last edited Jun 19, 2017 07:42AM) (new)

Randi I'll give this a try with a short word.

F A Fatal Grace/Louise Penny 6-4-17
L Louise Penny/The Cruelest Month 6-19-17
A Angels' Pawn/Nalini Singh 6-5-17
G

A Fatal Grace (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #2) by Louise Penny Angels' Pawn (Guild Hunter #0.6) by Nalini Singh The Cruelest Month (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #3) by Louise Penny

message 17: by Krysta (new)

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments We've officially begun!
Any books started on or after today can count towards this challenge!

message 18: by Jalissa (new)

Jalissa | 57 comments June 2017 Monthly Challenge – Spelling Summer

I'll go with either Flag or Pearl or both.

(0/4)
F
L
A
G

(0/5)
P
E
A
R
L

message 19: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments I completed the challenge! I read 12 books and spelled both FATHER and CANCER. :-) (My Dad was a Cancer.)

To see what all books I used, here is my post. :-)

message 20: by Krysta (new)

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments Jen wrote: "I completed the challenge! I read 12 books and spelled both FATHER and CANCER. :-) (My Dad was a Cancer.)

To see what all books I used, here is my post. :-)"

Way to go Jen!!!

message 21: by Robin (last edited Jun 26, 2017 05:08PM) (new)

Robin (robinpickell) | 1138 comments Completed up on message 5. I might exchange G. A. Aiken, Feel the Burn (Dragon Kin, #8) by G.A. Aiken for "A" in FLAG, but I'm not sure on time.

message 22: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments Thank you, Krysta!

Congratulations, Robin! Good luck (or Congratulations?) to the rest of you, too!!! :-)

message 23: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie | 29 comments Finished up on message 7, I had lots of fun, thank you.

message 24: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinpickell) | 1138 comments Jen wrote: "Thank you, Krysta!

Congratulations, Robin! Good luck (or Congratulations?) to the rest of you, too!!! :-)"

Thanx Jen, you're the best!

╭( ・ㅂ・)و ̑̑ ˂ᵒ͜͡ᵏᵎ⁾✩ Mom.

message 25: by Krysta (new)

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments Way to go everyone!
I'm hoping to get mine finished up today or tomorrow.

message 26: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments Krysta wrote: "Way to go everyone!
I'm hoping to get mine finished up today or tomorrow."

I know I'm "done," but because I used a few graphic novels to fill in some of the letters, I am using these last few days of June to read "real" books for those letters. One down, two more to go! :-)

message 27: by Krysta (new)

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments Jen wrote: "Krysta wrote: "Way to go everyone!
I'm hoping to get mine finished up today or tomorrow."

I know I'm "done," but because I used a few graphic novels to fill in some of the letters, I am using thes..."

Overachiever much! =D

message 28: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments LOL Krysta! Well, yes. ;-) I just have been trying to read a book everyday for the past week-plus, so it's theoretically doable. ;-)

message 29: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments Hi all! My plan to read "real" books for this challenge was successful! I replaced all three of the graphic novels that I used with 300+ page books! :-)

Congratulations to everyone else who successfully completed this challenge!

message 30: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments lol J.C. Congratulations to you, too! :-)