Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper - Patrick - 3.5 stars (4)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jgrace (last edited May 30, 2017 07:19AM) (new)

Jgrace | 2710 comments The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper by Phaedra Patrick
The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper - P.Patrick
Audio performance by James Langton
3.5 stars

Arthur Pepper does have some personal charm, but the actual charms of the story belonged to his late wife. One year after her death, Arthur isn’t doing too well. He likes his routines. He's in emotionally neutral, solitary, avoidance mode. But, it’s been a year, so he steals himself to clean out his wife’s closet. He discovers an expensive charm bracelet that he has never seen at any time during their long marriage. Each charm leads him to a different episode in his wife’s life before their marriage. The discovery pulls him back into the world of the living. It’s a mildly funny, sweet story, but fairly predictable. James Langton is not my favorite voice artist. Arthur Pepper gets himself into some truly awkward situations, but Langton managed to put a damper on the humor.

message 2: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 2050 comments I liked this one and found it sweet despite some of the outrageous circumstances Arthur found himself in.

message 3: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6879 comments Interesting. This is sitting in my tbr right now, here from the library.

message 4: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3775 comments This is on my TBR from other PBTers. Sounds like a mix between A Man Called Ove and P.S. I Love You.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8149 comments This is on my TBR too, and someone's prosperity list.

message 6: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6879 comments Amy wrote: "This is on my TBR too, and someone's prosperity list."

It's on my prosperity list :). It might be on someone else's, too, but I haven't gone and read all of the lists yet.