The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 25.2 - Shanna Redwind's Task: Market Gardening

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 30, 2017 05:14AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4347 comments Mod
25.2 - Shanna Redwind's Task: Market Gardening

My husband and I run a Market Garden farm. This means that summer is our busiest time, and we spend long days outside working in the field. We grow, tend and pick fruits and vegetables and then take the produce to local markets and sell it.
This is a 2 book task. Pick 2 of the options. REQUIRED: State in your post the options you chose.

Books with the main page genres of Graphic Novels/Manga/Comics are allowed for this task as long as they meet SRC requirements.

Option 1:
Summer is a busy times for most farmers, us included. Please be patient when you follow a slow moving farm vehicle on the road, and enjoy the countryside.
Read a book from this list of Agriculture books: Popular Agriculture Books or this list of Farming books: Popular Farming Books

REQUIRED: Include in your post the name of the list and the page on which your book was found.

Option 2:
During the summer months, I often spend 8 or more hours a day picking snap beans or other vegetables. This part of my job is often mind-numbingly boring and without my audiobooks, I think I would go insane. Select a book with an Audio edition that has a Narrator or Reader with their first and last initials in the words MARKET GARDENING. NOTE: You may read the book in any format, not just audiobook.

To help you get started, here's a list of audiobook readers:
Audio Book Narrators
When you find a narrator whose initials are in MARKET GARDENING, you can search Goodreads for that name. You will get a list of books that are narrated or read by that person.
You do not have to read a book that has been narrated by someone on the list - that's just to help you find some narrators.

REQUIRED: Include a link to the Audiobook edition with the narrator you are using as well as to the edition you read.

Example: If you read The Pillars of the Earth, you would also include a link to The Pillars of the Earth, showing the narrator Richard E. Grant, whose initials are in MARKET GARDENING.

If you read Americanah, you would also include a link to Americanah, showing the narrator Adjoa Andoh, whose initials are in MARKET GARDENING.

Optional task: Listen to this book or another book rather than reading it. Let us know if you enjoyed listening rather than reading.

Option 3:
We sell our produce at local Farmer's Markets where there is a large variety of vegetables available for sale. I enjoy the chance to interact directly with my customers, and I believe that my customers enjoy the chance to purchase vegetables directly from the farmer.
Read a book that contains a vegetable from this List of Vegetables in the title, subtitle or series. Plurals and possesives are acceptable, but no other variations. If the vegetable is a two word vegetable, both words must be together as found on the list.
The clarifying words after the vegetables (that are not part of the link) do not have to be included, and are not considered part of the list of vegetables.

Examples: Hannah's Journey (Amish Brides of Celery Fields #1), Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe.

Optional Task: Go to a Farmer's market and buy some fresh produce from a local farm. Let us know what you bought.

message 3: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 654 comments Reserved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4347 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

message 5: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Hi, I love my audible subscription! I have been listening to books since I used to have to get them in tape form from the library, then CD's, and now mainly Audible or Scribd. In my Audible library, I have this book I have been wanting to listen to, which is narrated by the author. We Learn Nothing. It doesn't list a narrator on GR, I'm assuming because the narrator is the author, but, I can also show the Audible page. Would this work?

My other option was A River Runs through It and Other Stories but GR doesn't have the audio edition listed. I'm guessing a librarian can add it. If those fail, I also have Americanah in my Audible collection.

Thanks!

message 6: by Shanna_redwind (last edited May 30, 2017 07:59AM) (new)

Shanna_redwind | 654 comments Terri FL wrote: "Hi, I love my audible subscription! I have been listening to books since I used to have to get them in tape form from the library, then CD's, and now mainly Audible or Scribd. In my Audible library..."

I haven't ventured into Audible yet. I mostly use Overdrive now, but I too started with tapes and moved to CDs. My phone is much more convenient now. (Hugely more convenient than the updated technology of the cd where I had to find my place again almost every time.)

You are good to go on either
We Learn Nothing (I've added Narrator as a role)

or River Runs Through It and Other Stories. I found an Audiobook version.

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7512 comments I LOVE the audiobook task!

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7512 comments Shanna for the narrator...if it is dual narrated - would the initials of one be sufficient?

looking at a book narrated by Noah Michael Levine , Erin Deward

E, D fit in Market GarDEning - but not the L in Levine...

message 9: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 20 comments Does it matter if the book (reader) I find for
option 2 made an "abridged" version?
Thanks

message 10: by Shanna_redwind (last edited May 30, 2017 08:59AM) (new)

Shanna_redwind | 654 comments Dee wrote: "I LOVE the audiobook task!"

Dee wrote: "Shanna for the narrator...if it is dual narrated - would the initials of one be sufficient?

looking at a book narrated by Noah Michael Levine , Erin Deward

E, D fit in Market GarDEning - but not..."

Yes, if there's a dual Narration, only the initials from one Narrator need to be used.

message 11: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 654 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Does it matter if the book (reader) I find for
Thanks"

It does not matter if it's an abridged version. They're not my personal favourite, but I won't hold it against them.

message 12: by Kim (new)

Kim | 626 comments This may be my first foray into the audiobook world if I choose to listen instead of read. These are the choices I'm looking at:

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

Any Other Name

Little Mercies

Please let me know if these are ok. I did verify that 20,000 Leagues meets the SRC requirements for a book with genre of Children's.

Thank you.

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7512 comments Kim wrote: "This may be my first foray into the audiobook world if I choose to listen instead of read. These are the choices I'm looking at:

[book:Any Ot..."

based solely on narrators - I'd go with Little Mercies if you decide to listen

message 14: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 654 comments Kim wrote: "This may be my first foray into the audiobook world if I choose to listen instead of read. These are the choices I'm looking at:

[book:Any Ot..."

I hope you enjoy the experience if you choose to try it. Almost half of my 'reading' is done by audiobooks. I use them in the car and when I'm housecleaning as well as when I'm working.

All three of those books are fine for this task.

message 15: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Shanna_redwind wrote: "Terri FL wrote: "Hi, I love my audible subscription! I have been listening to books since I used to have to get them in tape form from the library, then CD's, and now mainly Audible or Scribd. In m..."

Awesome. Thanks! I've heard of Overdrive, but, haven't looked into it yet.

message 16: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3596 comments Kim wrote: "This may be my first foray into the audiobook world if I choose to listen instead of read. These are the choices I'm looking at:

"

Since it doesn't make a difference WHICH edition we read/listen to ... The version I listened to was narrated by James Frain
Snippet from my review: James Frain did a fine job narrating the audiobook. There are many passages of scientific data, and he managed to sound excited even about those! I definitely got the sense of awe that Arronax and his companions would have felt at witnessing these things “that no man has seen before.”

(NOTE: I know we can READ either text or e-book rather than listen ... so I hope I'm interpreting that correctly in re listening to a different version than the one with the narrator whose initials fit the task.)

message 17: by Shanna_redwind (last edited May 31, 2017 04:53PM) (new)

Shanna_redwind | 654 comments Book Concierge wrote: I know we can READ either text or e-book rather than listen ... so I hope I'm interpreting that correctly in re listening to a different version than the one with the narrator whose initials fit the task.)

Yes, I agree that you should be able to listen to a different narrator than the one that you are using for the initials in the task.

message 18: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 20 comments Shanna_redwind wrote: "Kathy G. wrote: "Does it matter if the book (reader) I find for
Thanks"

It does not matter if it's an abridged version. They're not my personal favourite, but ..."

Me either. I want the whole book!

Thanks

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1466 comments Just want to confirm in case it disappears that Rotten to the Core is currently on page 49 of the Popular Farming list

Popular Farming Books Page 49

Thanks.

message 20: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3364 comments So I could read this book: I Hear the Sirens in the Street by Adrian McKinty whose audio version is narrated by Gerald Doyle for Option 2? i.e am I interpreting this option correctly?
Thanks,
Andy

message 21: by Shanna_redwind (last edited May 31, 2017 04:46PM) (new)

Shanna_redwind | 654 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Does it matter if the book (reader) I find for
Thanks"

Just another quick comment about using abridged versions:

An abridged audiobook can be used to establish the name of a narrator. However, if you are actually listening to an abridged audiobook for the task, you should check the Rules of the Challenge (https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...)

message 22: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 654 comments Lauren wrote: "Just want to confirm in case it disappears that Rotten to the Core is currently on page 49 of the Popular Farming list

Popular Farming Books Page 49

Thanks."

Verified

message 23: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 654 comments Andy wrote: "So I could read this book: I Hear the Sirens in the Street by Adrian McKintywhose audio version is narrated by Gerald Doyle for Option 2? i.e am I interpreting this option correctly?
Thanks,
Andy"

Yes, that book works, and you can read or listen to it, whichever is your preference.

message 24: by Helen (new)

Helen | 108 comments If I want to read a book with two narrators do both sets of initials need to be in MARKET GARDENING?

I'm thinking of reading The Way of Kings which is narrated by Michael Kramer and Kate Reading.

Thank you

message 25: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 654 comments If there is more than one narrator, only the initials from one of the narrators needs to be in MARKET GARDENING.
The Way of Kings works.

message 26: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3364 comments Shanna_redwind wrote: "Andy wrote: "So I could read this book: I Hear the Sirens in the Street by Adrian McKintywhose audio version is narrated by Gerald Doyle for Option 2? i.e am I interpreting this option correctly..."

Thanks, I'll probably listen to it. I spend my time at the gym multitasking when I'm bored to death on the treadmill etc.

message 27: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela3265) | 979 comments Great task! I just want to verify that Romeo and Juliet: A Novel works for this task. It is read by Richard Armitage. There is no print edition. The SRC Rules state that audiobooks without a print edition are allowed as long as the task doesn't require a certain number of pages.

Thanks!

message 28: by Shanna_redwind (last edited Jun 04, 2017 06:27PM) (new)

Shanna_redwind | 654 comments Pamela wrote: "Great task! I just want to verify that Romeo and Juliet: A Novel works for this task. It is read by Richard Armitage. There is no print edition. The SRC Rules state that audiobooks ..."

I'm afraid that's not going to work. The SRC rules exclude Audiobooks with no print edition for all tasks.

Here's the rule that applies:

9. Audiobooks may be used for SRC tasks. Page numbers should be counted as described for ebooks above. Audiobooks that do not have a written word equivalent, either published in paper or digitally, may NOT be used for SRC tasks.
Audiobooks that are noted as being “abridged” may be used to meet the general 100+ page book requirement as long as they are at least 2 hours in length. Abridged audiobooks may NOT be used for tasks with defined longer page requirements as there are no direct print equivalents.

message 29: by Trish (last edited Jun 15, 2017 05:20AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2433 comments Morning.

Just wanted to double check that Grover Gardner is okay as a narrator for Option 2 (seems a perfect name for a Market Gardening task!). He's not one of those listed in the wiki page, but he seems to have narrated quite a few books, including the two I'm interested in: Shards of Honour, Barrayar

And for Option 3, I'm thinking The White Rose Murders (Sir Roger Shallot #1) - shallots are under bulb and stem veg.

message 30: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 654 comments Grover Gardner is fine, and as you said, perfect for the task. The list was just to help people find narrators, so they didn't have to use a guess and click method of discovering them. Other narrators that are not on the list are fine.

Your option 3 works fine as well.

message 31: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2433 comments Shanna_redwind wrote: "Grover Gardner is fine, and as you said, perfect for the task. The list was just to help people find narrators, so they didn't have to use a guess and click method of discovering them. Other narrat..."

Thanks, Shanna.

message 32: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments to clarify...there is a list with fruits in the link you posted for the List of Vegetables...are we just supposed to use the first list?

thanks

message 33: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 654 comments Nicole wrote: "to clarify...there is a list with fruits in the link you posted for the List of Vegetables...are we just supposed to use the first list?

thanks"

The word fruit here is being used in a botanical sense. A tomato, bell pepper and cucumber are the fruiting body of the plant, so you can use any of the lists on this page.

message 34: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Shanna_redwind wrote: "Nicole wrote: "to clarify...there is a list with fruits in the link you posted for the List of Vegetables...are we just supposed to use the first list?

thanks"

The word fruit here is being used ..."

Thank you! That's what I thought but I would rather be sure!

message 36: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments For option 2 are narrators from LibriVox alright? I have listen to a few books from these readers.

message 37: by Shanna_redwind (last edited Jun 22, 2017 06:48AM) (new)

Shanna_redwind | 654 comments The narrator must be listed on Goodreads as having narrated the book that you are reading or listening to. So, if the Librivox narrator is listed on the book page as having read the book, you're good.

Remember, that you don't actually have to listen to the version narrated by the reader you are using. You can read or listen to any edition of the book.

message 38: by Darlene (last edited Jun 28, 2017 01:40PM) (new)

Darlene | 658 comments For Option 2: the book I read is Don't You Cry by Mary Kubica. It was narrated by Kate Rudd (so far so good) and Kirby Heyborne - no H in Market Gardening.

Don't You Cry

Is this book acceptable as one of the narrator's initials fits the task?

Thanks for your help.

message 39: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 654 comments Darlene wrote: "For Option 2: the book I read is Don't You Cry by Mary Kubica. It was narrated by Kate Rudd (so far so good) and Kirby Heyborne - no H in Market Gardening.

Don't You Cry

Is this b..."

Yes, if the book has more than one narrator, only one of the narrators needs to fit the criteria.

message 40: by Nicola (last edited Jul 02, 2017 11:37AM) (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Shanna_redwind wrote: "The narrator must be listed on Goodreads as having narrated the book.."

I've been trying to find a suitable audio/book for this and unfortunately so far several of the books that I have found audiobooks for don't have any listing on Goodreads. For example Time's Arrow which is showing on Amazon as having two different narrators for two different versions (one of which would fit the task) but has no listing on Goodreads. There is actually a version showing under the audiobook filter by Brilliance Audio although there are no narrator details included in the book details. The narrator is listed on the Brilliance Audio site (and would also fit the task) but according to your ruling above that is not acceptable correct?

There will be no books accepted for this task unless they are showing up on Goodreads itself and the narrator is included in the viewable book details?

Edit: I've just looked at some of the books you've verified as being acceptable for this task to see how the narrator details are inputed and I can't see any narrators showing up as viewable but they are in the 'Edit Details' part so that is all that is needed?

message 41: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15608 comments Mod
The audio CD version of Time's Arrow: Or the Nature of the Offense does show the reader right there in the author line, as do all of the other books that are listed in post 2.

message 42: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7512 comments Nicola - people who are GR librarians can also add roles - which is what a narrator would fall under - into the audiobook edition

message 43: by Nicola (last edited Jul 03, 2017 07:09AM) (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Sandy wrote: "The audio CD version of Time's Arrow: Or the Nature of the Offense does show the reader right there in the author line, as do all of the other books that are listed in post 2."

Yes I can see them if I go digging into the 'Edit Details' section as I said but I can't see them when I look at the book as it displays 'as is' on Goodreads. If you can then there must be some difference with my display.

I just see this:
Audio CD
Published January 5th 2016 by Audible Studios on Brilliance Audio (first published 1991)
Original TitleTime’s Arrow
ISBN 1511308575 (ISBN13: 9781511308571)
CharactersOdilo Unverdorben
Literary AwardsMan Booker Prize Nominee (1991)
Other Editions (45

message 44: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7512 comments are you using the app?

the narrator should be where the author is listed - so you should see

title:
by: author name, narrator name (if in the record)

message 45: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3596 comments Nicola wrote: "Sandy wrote: "The audio CD version of Time's Arrow: Or the Nature of the Offense does show the reader right there in the author line, as do all of the other books that are listed in..."

Nicola when I open the link to Time's Arrow: Or the Nature of the Offense

I see this RIGHT UNDER the title:
by Martin Amis, Graeme Malcolm (Reading)

Graeme Malcom is the narrator

This information is NOT in the details ... it's immediately under the title of the book.

message 46: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Dee wrote: "are you using the app?

the narrator should be where the author is listed - so you should see

title:
by: author name, narrator name (if in the record)"

No I use the website. The app is rubbish :-)

message 47: by Nicola (last edited Jul 06, 2017 03:35AM) (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Nicola wrote: "Sandy wrote: "The audio CD version of Time's Arrow: Or the Nature of the Offense does show the reader right there in the author line, as do all of the other books tha..."

I don't see it. What I see is what I posted. I have to go into the Edit Details part to see that. Bizzare.

Nm though, Time's Arrow will clearly work so thanks all for th clarification!

message 48: by Book Concierge (last edited Jul 06, 2017 02:32PM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3596 comments Nicola ... just for giggles.... on the website try a different audio book and see if you see the information

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

At the very top of the page, next to the cover image you should see:

Tigers in Red Weather
by Liza Klaussmann (Goodreads Author), Katherine Kellgren (Goodreads Author) (Narrator)

Kellgren is the narrator....

(NOTE ... this narrator would NOT work for the challenge ...)

message 49: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments I can't seem to link it properly at all but if Mindy Kaling is listed as a narrator of her own book for the audio version, I can read that- correct? I just have to figure out how to link to the audiobook edition. the link list is just twenty of the same item and no indication of the version. Any idea how to fix that?

message 50: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15608 comments Mod
Nicole wrote: "I can't seem to link it properly at all but if Mindy Kaling is listed as a narrator of her own book for the audio version, I can read that- correct? I just have to figure out how to link to the aud..."

yes, that works.

Go to the book. Go to the "all editions." Then go to the pulldown at the top and enter "audio cd." Click on it. That should bring up the audio version. Copy the ISBN and paste it in to add the link to your post. That should work.

« previous 1