Play Book Tag discussion

May 2017: 2004 > Going Postal - Pratchett - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jgrace (last edited May 29, 2017 01:06PM) (new)

Jgrace | 2711 comments Going Postal (Discworld, #33) by Terry Pratchett
Going Postal - Pratchett
Audio performance by Steven Briggs
4 stars

I’ve read a few of Pratchett’s stand alone novels, but this is the first discworld book that I’ve attempted. Since it is listed as # 33 in the series, I might have expected to have trouble following the silly plot. Not at all. It helped to have Steven Briggs’ excellent audio performance. Listening, I could just sit back and enjoy the show; the slapstick comedy, the wordplay, the satire, the social commentary, and the surprisingly heartwarming story. It was a real treat.

The book made me laugh, but it wasn’t hard to get the underlying message. I kept thinking about Neil Gaiman’s tribute to Sir Terry, and his comments about the underlying anger that was the engine for Pratchett’s writing. This was a fun book, but there was anger fueling the foolishness.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/artic...

“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”

“And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.”

Freedom may be mankind’s natural state, but so is sitting in a tree eating your dinner while it is still wriggling.”

message 2: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Great quotes! I really need to read something by Pratchett. I think the first Discworld is on my TBR.