Hooked on Books discussion

The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about The Kiss of Deception
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Johnni Quest (johnniquest) | 1226 comments Leticia and I are going to buddy read The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson. Feel free to join us if you like! We're shooting for 9 chapters per day. There will be spoilers in the discussion!

Schedule:
06/01- Chapters 1 through 9
06/02- Chapters 10 through 18
06/03- Chapters 19 through 27
06/04- Chapters 28 through 36
06/05- Chapters 37 through 45
06/06- Chapters 46 through 54
06/07- Chapters 55 through 63
06/08- Chapters 64 through 72

Leticia (leticiatoraci) | 388 comments Let's see if it goes according to plan:
Schedule:
06/01- Chapters 1 through 9
06/02- Chapters 10 through 18
06/03- Chapters 19 through 27
06/04- Chapters 28 through 36
06/05- Chapters 37 through 45
06/06- Chapters 46 through 54
06/07- Chapters 55 through 63
06/08- Chapters 64 through 72

Endlessbibliophile I've just started this book, maybe I'll manage to keep up with your pace ;)

Johnni Quest (johnniquest) | 1226 comments Marky wrote: "I've just started this book, maybe I'll manage to keep up with your pace ;)"

I'm not even sure, we'll be able to keep up with our pace haha

message 5: by Zahraa (last edited May 30, 2017 06:18AM) (new) - added it

Zahraa (laloolawati) | 34 comments Sorry guys, I'm participating in a readathon, and I chose this book for one of the rules, so I guess I'm not going to be participating with you guys, anyways, hope you guys succeed in reading it and you can keep up with your own pace. Bye☺️

Endlessbibliophile Well I'm already by chapter 40, but it's still awesome 😍 So I guess you will, Johnni 😊

Johnni Quest (johnniquest) | 1226 comments I was able to catch up today and finished chapter 27. I'm really enjoying it so far. You guys?

Leticia (leticiatoraci) | 388 comments I'm a bit behind on chapter 13. So far I love the book, the idea of a princess happily serving tables and dealing with a prince and assassin at the same time is quite entertaining. I hope I manage to catch up later.

Endlessbibliophile I finished and I'm satisfied... I found the book a little too stretched and sometimes confusing, but I believe that the second one will be better because of the discoveries that need to be made ;)

Leticia (leticiatoraci) | 388 comments On chapter 33 now, so I'm almost catching up.

message 11: by Syahransyah (new)

Syahransyah | 3 comments Wow..it's my favorite..I like it.

Johnni Quest (johnniquest) | 1226 comments Omgomgomgomgomgomg....
That thing. That thing that happened. Omg omg omg.

Leticia (leticiatoraci) | 388 comments I hadn't seen that twist coming. Now I'm completely confused.

Johnni Quest (johnniquest) | 1226 comments I had to flip back and reread some bits. I thought it was so cool how she used the different chapter headers to build up the twist.

Leticia (leticiatoraci) | 388 comments Finished now!

Johnni Quest (johnniquest) | 1226 comments Leticia wrote: "Finished now!"

How did you like it??

message 17: by Leticia (last edited Jun 14, 2017 09:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leticia (leticiatoraci) | 388 comments I'm quite divided about the book. I basically liked it but I found the (spoiler alert) twist between who was the prince and who was the assassin quite jarring and I'm still with a feeling it didn't really fit well. I'm curious about the next book of the series and at the same time in doubt if I should not try another book. And you? Are you going on with the series?

Johnni Quest (johnniquest) | 1226 comments I really liked it! I was totally stunned by the twist.

I flipped back and reread some chapters and was amazed by how she used the stereotypes of prince/rogue/princess love triangles to twist my understanding of the story.

Looking back at the chapters, I saw that sometimes the POV would downplay one of the boys' presence even though they were both there when something happened, I mean, it makes sense since they were usually soooo focused on Lia. (It makes sense that they wouldn't pay a lot of attention to the commoner next to them as much, you know.) So when one of the named POV chapters would talk about what happened, it made sense that you would associate it with the unnamed POV that was being used when something happened.

For me, it seemed like there was a lot of artistry behind it. I really can't wait for the next one.

message 19: by Leticia (last edited Jun 15, 2017 01:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leticia (leticiatoraci) | 388 comments (spoiler alert) Idk, to me, Kaden seemed the good boy from the start and Rafe the conflicted, tortured one. Of course, things were blurred somehow, but I still can't see Kaden as the assassin, even though I'm happy Rafe is the prince since Lia was in love with him anyway, but again I ask myself why would a nice looking guy refuse to see the Princess he had to marry, I can only think that he was too easily offended by her request to inspect him and acted out of pride? If so was it also wounded pride that made him go looking for her? In the end, it was all quite confusing for me. Perhaps I'm not the right audience for YA anymore lol.

I gave the book four stars, but I rarely give five stars to any book. And I'll probably read the next book, though not right now. I still want to finish the Infernal Devices trilogy I started before this book with the recommended May reading.

Johnni Quest (johnniquest) | 1226 comments It sounds like Rafe's kingdom is even more strict about the rules of court than Lia's was. I wonder if that's why he didn't see her. Like it's just not done or something. It did seem to me like the reason he originally went after her was because of wounded pride. Like when "The Prince" was talking to the man who trained him (I cannot remember his name right now) he kind of said that was why he was going after her.

I'm really intrigued to see if the next book has any of the twists in it like the first one or if it is more straight forward at this point.

Leticia (leticiatoraci) | 388 comments I was thinking of starting book two of this series last Saturday but the translated copy was so badly done I'll probably read it in English. Let me know when you are going on with this series.

Johnni wrote: "It sounds like Rafe's kingdom is even more strict about the rules of court than Lia's was. I wonder if that's why he didn't see her. Like it's just not done or something. It did seem to me like the..."

Johnni Quest (johnniquest) | 1226 comments None of my bookstores jave it in right now so I'll order a copy on Friday.

Leticia (leticiatoraci) | 388 comments Oh, somehow I lost track of this discussion. Did you order/read it?

Johnni Quest (johnniquest) | 1226 comments I haven't! I keep forgetting.

Johnni Quest (johnniquest) | 1226 comments JK, I just ordered it. Will be here on the 1st haha

Leticia (leticiatoraci) | 388 comments Great, I'll probably just get the ebook then we can buddy-read.

Johnni Quest (johnniquest) | 1226 comments Sounds good to me :)

Shannon Beasley | 9 comments I just started the second book today! Wondering how it's all gonna pan out for Lia...

Leticia (leticiatoraci) | 388 comments I ended up ordering the paperback because the price difference was around 2 dollars and for this, I rather have a physical copy. It will be here on 3 of August. But feel free to start before me.

Johnni Quest (johnniquest) | 1226 comments Awesome, Shannon!

I just got mine today, Leticia. I'm working on a few books at the moment, so waiting til this weekend works great for me! Want to start on Saturday?

Leticia (leticiatoraci) | 388 comments Good idea. I'm still finishing This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1) by Victoria Schwab , so this will be fine.

Johnni Quest (johnniquest) | 1226 comments Leticia wrote: "Good idea. I'm still finishing This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1) by Victoria Schwab, so this will be fine."

I will look and see how many chapters there are tonight and see what the breakdown will look like :D

Leticia (leticiatoraci) | 388 comments After we finish The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2) by Mary E. Pearson , I plan on reading Gemina (The Illuminae Files, #2) by Amie Kaufman .
I f you want we can buddy read that one too.

Johnni Quest (johnniquest) | 1226 comments I just re-read that one so I'm not quite due for another hahaha

We'll have to find another one for after that.

Johnni Quest (johnniquest) | 1226 comments It looks like there are 64 chapters for The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2) by Mary E. Pearson ..

8 chapters a day breaks down perfectly to 8 days. Does that sound good?

08/05- Chapters 1-8
08/06- Chapters 9-16
08/07- Chapters 17-24
08/08- Chapters 25-32
08/09- Chapters 33-40
08/10- Chapters 41-48
08/11- Chapters 49-56
08/12- Chapters 57-64

message 36: by Leticia (last edited Aug 05, 2017 03:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leticia (leticiatoraci) | 388 comments Yeah, awesome, let's begin! I'll probably be going a bit faster now on the weekend so feel free to read forward if you have the time.

Leticia (leticiatoraci) | 388 comments How are you doing? Every time I read about the komizar I can only visualize him this way:

I know he's not Klingon but this is what comes to my mind lol

Leticia (leticiatoraci) | 388 comments Ops! I read until late yesterday, and I finished it now. I heard this book is slow paced, but I liked it even more than the first book. I could not put it down. I liked all the intrigue, cultural background of the Vendans and the Komizar was a great villain!

Johnni Quest (johnniquest) | 1226 comments Leticia wrote: "Ops! I read until late yesterday, and I finished it now. I heard this book is slow paced, but I liked it even more than the first book. I could not put it down. I liked all the intrigue, cultural b..."
Gah, this week has been insane and doesnt look like its going to be letting up. I'm sneaking in
Minutes to read anywhere I can!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.