What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > the pendulum swinging from masculine to feminine through history

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura Inslo | 4 comments This is a large nonfiction book written by a Stanford Professor [I believe]. He analyzes how the feminine in religion was dominant before the judeo-christian era. And the pendulum swung very far toward the masculine and is only just now beginning to swing toward the feminine.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura Inslo | 4 comments sorry no. it's by a man.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather | 178 comments Something by Bart Ehrman, maybe? I've read quite a few of his books, though I will admit I'm behind, so it could be a later work of his.
https://www.goodreads.com/search?q=ba...

message 5: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments Bart D. Ehrman for Heather's suggestion.

message 6: by Kris (last edited May 30, 2017 07:41AM) (new)

Kris | 32130 comments Mod
Laura, around what year did you read this book?

The Chalice and the Blade: Our History, Our Future (1988) turned up while searching, but it's written by a woman.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura Inslo | 4 comments I read the book in the 90's, so it is not new. No it is not a book by him. It is not a christian book. It is more of a history book. thanks to all of you for trying.
Still hoping someone might know.

message 8: by Keith (new)

Keith | 222 comments Sounds like it might be a book by Robert Graves, maybe The White Goddess ? The subject rang a bell - it's discussed in Alan Moore's graphic novel From Hell, so I looked up the sources Moore was inspired by.

message 10: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1200 comments Is it possible you are thinking of When God Was a Woman

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura Inslo | 4 comments Everyone keeps trying but no one has hit the nail on the head yet.

message 12: by Keith (new)

Keith | 222 comments I suspect the problem is that there are quite a few books which could fit the description, because this idea about "mother goddess" cults being dominant in prehistory is quite a well-known one that has filtered into popular culture (cf. my example of From Hell). Can you tell us any more about it, e.g.:

-Was it one of the first books to propose this theory?
-Was it a history book aimed at a general readership, or a specialized academic textbook aimed primarily at historians and history students?
-Did it have illustrations? What was on the cover of the edition you read?
-What specific historical/archaeological information did the author cite in support of his view?

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37562 comments Mod
Laura, are you still looking for this or did you find it?