The F-word discussion

BOOK DISCUSSIONS > Book Exchange?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Kilpack (chillpack) Hey All, I searched but couldn't find any info in this group, so pardon me if this has been discussed or already exists here: Is there a feminist book exchange that any of y'all know about or participate in? Is this a possible venue for that type of exchange?

I check out most books from the library, but a lot of feminist literature that I'm looking at lately is only available for purchase, which can feel very limiting. I want to see if there's anything out there where folks can swap books.

message 2: by El (new)

El | 756 comments Mod
Hi Chelsea! Not sure if such a thing exists, but it's a good idea. I feel a lot of feminist literature is still sort of "underground", meaning a lot of it is sort of difficult to get a hold of.

There's an independent bookstore here where I live that sells some pretty obscure titles - I don't get there very frequently since it's not a neighborhood I get to very often, but if anyone knew of a feminist book exchange, it'd be them. I'll try to get there soon to ask around.

I'm sort of in the same position myself with availability of other feminist literature though. I don't have a lot of money to buy the books I want to read, so I do the best I can through the library. Unfortunately I find mailing books can also be a bit more expensive than I am able to afford right now. :(

This is a good idea though!

message 3: by MauTinNyanko (new)

MauTinNyanko (mautinnyako) | 3 comments I know this post is a few months old, but I think a book exchange would be a great idea to get off the ground. We could help each other learn as much as we can.

Details would have to be worked out such as shipping, etc.

Another possible way to lend books would be to go the digital route. If someone has an electronic version of a book(s), they could upload them or lend them to others.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I've found a lot of older feminist books through Scribd (monthly subscription - cancel or pause anytime). They're in PDF but readable.

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo | 27 comments I'd be happy to pass on a copy of the December read "lab girl". Anyone living in Berlin interested? Else, I'd also ship it somehow, but I'm not sure whether that'll save money. Within Germany, we have the "Büchersendung", though. first come, first serve.