Green Group discussion

Animals > Feeding Wildlife: yes or no?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Hilliard (goodreadscomphilliard) | 2 comments I go bird watching in the parks all year long. Often I see people feeding pigeons, ducks, squirrels and stray cats. This does not benefit wildlife, especially if white bread is given. Do you feed and why? Don't you know you are causing poor health in these creatures? Please let me know your thoughts.

message 2: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy | 1572 comments Mod
My answer for the examples you give here is a resounding no to feeding those animals. I would never do it.

message 3: by Brian (new)

Brian Burt | 426 comments Mod
Jimmy wrote: "My answer for the examples you give here is a resounding no to feeding those animals. I would never do it."

I second the motion... with the caveat that my wife and I do enjoy putting out seed in bird feeders hung from the lower branches of trees in our back yard. Please reassure me that this isn't harmful? I must confess I don't think we ever researched this.

message 4: by Jimmy (new)

Bird feeders as far as I know are fine. Just follow the basic rules like taking them down before bears come out.

message 5: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Hilliard (goodreadscomphilliard) | 2 comments Brian wrote: "Jimmy wrote: "My answer for the examples you give here is a resounding no to feeding those animals. I would never do it."

I second the motion... with the caveat that my wife and I do enjoy putting..."

I feed birds too but only in winter. Never white bread. I take the feeders down by May when birds can easily find food.

message 6: by Jimmy (new)

Hummingbird feeders should be kept clean or the birds will get sick.

http://www.hummingbirds.net/feeders.html

I prefer planting native flowers for hummingbirds.