Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Raine (new)

Raine (rainelu) | 220 comments THE NEST is my kind of book. I marked it as a new favorite. I really liked everything about it; mainly because the books I like best have to do with family dynamics and this one deals exactly with that - the dynamics of siblings where money and emotions are involved.

The premise is that there are 4 siblings from a fairly well to do family in New York - The Plumbs - Leo (oldest,) Jack, Bea, and Melody. Their father set up a trust fund for them that was not to be touched until the youngest (Melody) turns 40 with the exception that their mother (Francie) can dip into it (father has since passed) if she needs to for a good reason.

Well, that happens, and The Nest (as the siblings call it) is left as a lot less than it was originally. Melody's 40th comes and goes, and we have the story of the siblings and how their life changes due to the demise of The Nest and how this hurts (?) their lives in general.

I didn't find this book hilarious or a train wreck at all. Maybe because I understand dysfunction as a middle-child, black sheep myself!

The author really digs into the characters and their relationships. Also, the secondary characters (husbands, business partners, lovers, children) are also very well written and described.

Recommended!

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5549 comments I have this on my Tbr ... great review.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8188 comments I enjoyed it as a perfect summer pool read.

message 4: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 2053 comments I enjoyed this one, too.