The Read Around The World Book Club discussion

June 2017 Kenya > Chapter 10 - 19

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 338 comments Mod
Just flicking through the pages it seems that the chapters contain defined paragraphs and odd little snippets. Curious lay-out was what I thought when I flicked through to split it into chapters.

message 2: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 338 comments Mod
I thought I had quite a good idea on colonial history with regards to East Africa, but holy cow, reading it like this has floored me. It is never mentioned how many Africans died in the Burmese (senseless) stage of WWII that was a stupid idea right from the outset. 500,000 Africans were enlisted into this war. Most of which did not understand what they were even fighting for. The post war brutality of the colonial power was even more shocking. People who made people disappear for the crown. How chilling is that. I can only imagine what role Hugh Bolten played and part of me does not want for Issaiah to find out.
Slightly confused about A. not mentioning to Odidi's old friend that he is dead. She has seen the car though.

I have to say that I am gripped by the story but the writing style in parts is annoying me a lot. When she let's go of the over stylising, she has a beautiful voice and this part has been a lot better than the first part.

message 3: by Milena (new)

Milena Widdowson My thoughts on this part of the book:

For me so much of this book is about searching for belonging, feeling a part of something real and rooted- this theme really speaks to me on a personal level.

The physical journey Ajany goes on to find her brother's missing years was incredibly moving for me.

I loved the mobile library camel with the Enid Blyton contrast.

The range of settings, in place and time, struck me so very vast in the part of the book. Such huge contrasts too like lots of snapshots of different elements of society.

The graphic, horrifically powerful description of government murder was gut wrenching for me, especially with the contrast of the young Nyipir and his desperation to find his father. I just can't get my head around how people in power are able to kill 'for the greater good' and how easy it is for people to be manipulated into terrible acts.

The mention of neighbours/family/friends reporting on each other in order to save their own lives is so sadly familiar throughout history in so many countries. The question of what a person will do to stay safe and alive is a huge one.

The wisdom, beauty and sadness of the lines, 'The body of a human cannot live without kindness. When it meets hatred, it stops trusting its life.'