World, Writing, Wealth discussion

World & Current Events > Trump, Macron and arm-wrestling

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (last edited May 29, 2017 08:20AM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 13077 comments Progress, enlightened thinking and all that, but some things just don't change. I just love these guys crushing each others hands:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/201...
It now gives Putin's fondness with judo a totally new perspective -:)
Merkel was spared a competition, but I guess a short arm-wrestling warm-up can be a good starter for political routs.

US and EU might've not hit it off right. What do you think?

message 2: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2101 comments The interactions between Trump and Macron were silly, but in a fun way. One of Trump's weird strengths during the campaign was his ability to drag everyone down to the level he played at, so it was kind of funny to see Macron to take charge without sinking to that level.

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13077 comments This time they are kissing -:)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/artic...
I remember Brezhnev was a big kisser. I guess fashion never dies

message 4: by Philip (last edited Apr 27, 2018 09:34AM) (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 2902 comments Very interesting speech from Macron to joint congress. Not so entente cordial after all the photo ops

message 5: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5181 comments That was a very good speech. Macron began by talking about the historical connections between France and the US. He's for NATO and the WTO and the Paris Agreement and for strengthening means to prevent Iran from having nuclear weapons. He talked about the effects of fake news and terrorist recruitment via the Internet. He declared France's alignment with the US regarding the importance of freedom. He's a fine speaker.

message 6: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 2902 comments Scout wrote: "That was a very good speech. Macron began by talking about the historical connections between France and the US. He's for NATO and the WTO and the Paris Agreement and for strengthening means to pre..."

He gave a very 'world' view as seen from liberal elite Europe whilst trying to keep USA on side or at least Trump smiling at him. The analysis in the UK was that is was a very unveiled criticism of Trump's policies but not sure how it was spun in the USA media or realnews outlets that Trump seems to prefer.

message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9218 comments My guess is it did not go down well with Trump, and Trump will probably remember.

message 8: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5181 comments Especially regarding the Paris Agreement and support for NATO and for the Iran deal. Did you see what Netanyahu just revealed about Iran's nuclear program? I know. Start a new thread :-)

message 9: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9218 comments Yes, let's start a new thread :-)