Polls for Our Souls discussion

Games > UNPOPULAR OPINIONS BOOK TAG

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by annesofie (last edited May 29, 2017 06:39AM) (new)

annesofie (ananasofie) | 204 comments OKAY SO LET'S DO THE UNPOPULAR OPINION BOOK TAG BECAUSE IT'S FUN

basically i'm gonna put all the questions below here and yall can comment your answers

1. a popular book or series you didn't like (for me, all the bright places)
2. a book or series everyone else seems to hate but you love (me: an abundance of katherines)
3. a love triangle where the person ended up with the person you didn't want them to end up with, or just an otp in general you dislike (me: i don't really ship oscar and jude from i'll give you the sun, but i guess i'm usually quite easy with ships)
4. a popular book genre you hardly reach for (me: sci-fiiiiiiii)
5. a popular or beloved character you don't like (me: DRACO MALFOY and i'm not even sorry. and i think we all know he's from harry potter)
6. a popular author you can't seem to get into. (me: i have never read anything by either cassandra clare or rick riordan, but i haven't tried it so i don't think it counts. i'll go with jennifer niven, since everyone always seems to love her books but the only one of hers i've read is one of my least favourite books ever so idk)
7. a popular book trope you're tired of seeing (me: the dystopian trilogy with a badass girl in her teens as a main character who goes to fight the government. it was fun at first but now it's just so overused)
8. a popular series you have no interest in reading (throne of glass, twilight, divergent, matched.. so many actually. i suck.)
9. a book to movie or tv show adaptation where you prefer the adaptation. (me: the perks of being a wallflower. the book just didn't do its magic for me, but the film definitely did.)

comment yours, it's fun :)

Fazila 🌸  | 18 comments 1) All the bright places
2) Three Dark Crowns
3) I didn't really like Leo an calypso together from blood of Olympus, but I only said them because I'm fine with every relationships on the oks I've read. I actually love Leo I just dislike Calypso 😅
4) Contemporary
5) Jace from the mortal instruments
6) Stephenie Meyer
7) I don't actually know for this one I'm not really sick of anything I've read
8) Twilight
9) None - as of now

message 3: by Louise (last edited May 29, 2017 09:25PM) (new)

Louise | 100 comments 1. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children and kind of Cinder (read all the books and tought they were ok, avarge rating 2,5 from me)
2. Dark Swan by Richelle Mead and The Demon trappers by Jana Oliver(people dont hate it i guess, but they are never talked about)
3. Tessa/Will/Jem from the TMI at the time i read it i didnt like the outcome atleast
4. Sci-fi
5. Simon from City of Bones (Can you get more annoying?!?) Cinder in Cinder, scarlet in Scarlet and Kaz in Six of Crows
6. Marissa Meyer and Maggie Stiefvater
7. To read from Strong female characters pow, that fixes and sacrifices everything for everyone. Why cant we get more strong males?
8. The Raven Boys

message 4: by Tyler J (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) | 80 comments 1. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
2. I don't actually have one for this exactly, so closest I have is a series I love but no one talks about or reads, Killer Pizza by Greg Taylor
4. Romance, but I want to change that and try some romance books
5. Snape, and no i'm not sorry, he's a bully
6. Ransom Riggs
7. I really haven't read enough to know
8. Twilight, Divergent
9. A Christmas Carol. I can't read the book, like seriously it just makes me feel dumb as it's so hard to read, but I like watching adaptations of it

message 5: by Sadie (new)

Sadie (SadieMonkey0) | 5 comments 1. I'll Give You the Sun
2. The Heroes of Olympus
3. Can't think of anything
4. Romance
5. Kaz from Six of Crows don't know why just didn't like.
6. ahhh, don't know
7. The Girl on the Train
8. Vampire Diaries
9. none.

message 6: by Erica (last edited May 30, 2017 03:05PM) (new)

Erica | 28 comments 1. The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Charlie's writing style in the letters annoyed me so much.

2. Probably Matched. Given that I read this book maybe 3 years ago, I don't know if I'll still like it if I reread it, but I just remember that I really enjoyed this book. (But I wasn't the biggest fan of the sequels).

3. Rowaelin from Throne of Glass. Cannot stand the two of them, especially not together.

4. YA contemporary. I'll read adult contemporary, but it's hard for me to get into YA contemporary.

5. Hagrid and Snape (Harry Potter). I have so many arguments for hating Snape (one literally he abused everyone so much), but I don't like Hagrid because I feel like he sort of used Harry and them and tried to get them to break the rules and wizarding laws for him and his dangerous creatures, which I feel was sort of selfish.

6. Not really sure tbh.

7. Love triangles between the annoying girl main character, her best friend, and some random dude that she met a week ago. Bonus material is that I always ship her with her best friend but she ends up choosing the other guy.

8. The Raven Cycle and The Winner's Curse (though I'm considering picking this one up someday, but it's not likely I will). Both just don't interest me and I think how much hype both have make me want to read it less.

9. As much as I adore the books, I think that the Lord of the Rings movies are so much better than the books. They really made me so much more interested in Middle Earth and put more depth into the characters in my opinion.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura | 1 comments 1. Throne of Glass - i liked the first two well enough but just hearing about the direction of the series, i don't see myself ever even trying to pick it up again.

2. i can't think of anything? i don't really read a lot of books that people seem to hate? i mean there's a lot of hate for tmi now but loads of people still love it, so i'm not sure that counts???

3. is it cheating to say will/jem/tessa? considering all that all places out in the very end? because like i didn't like it at the end of the actually trilogy when i originally read the book. i'm usually pretty good at choosing the two people who end up together in love triangle so i usually don't have the problem

4. contemporary, sci-fi, new adult

5. will herondale from the infernal devices - i honestly only like him when he's with jem because he's less of an asshole then, but like i'm indifferent to him every other time

6. rick riordan (i mean i haven't tried, so does it count? but like i don't see myself ever trying to pick up his books) and also john green (i've only read tfios but i'm probably never going to touch a john green book again)

7. is it annoying to say love triangle?? though i'm sure that's actually died out on it's own now. but i also hate the bad boy who's secretly a good guy deep down and is only putting on a facade to keep people out (i.e. jace herondale, will herondale, etc. etc.) it's seriously old now.

8. a court of mist and fury trilogy, series - whatever it's called

9. 13 reasons why - i enjoy both the book and the show but like the show went to places the book didn't and did such an amazing job showing us the other characters and i really enjoyed that. i would also say mockingjay if i'd ever watched it since i didn't like the book but i didn't watch the movie so i can't say. but with two parts, i'm sure it could have done a better job with developing storylines that the book glossed over because it tried to do too much in not enough pages and didn't focus enough on things it should have.

message 8: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) | 8 comments 1. SIX OF CROWS UGH
2. Hmm... Uprooted?
3. Throne of Glass - I wanted Celaena to end up with Sam
4. Science fiction or dystopia
5. Kaz Brekker *shudders*
6. I hated everything I read by Leigh Bardugo
7. "The Chosen One" who magically gains special abilities and is now a Gifted Goddess
8. Twilight
9. Divergent - mostly the second installment

message 9: by Alaa ❀ (new)

Alaa ❀ (alaasa221) | 7 comments 1.twilight or divergent
2.the red queen series
3.the endgame ship in the last 2 books of the selection (I won’t say who they are because spoilers)
4.thrillers
5.snape from Harry Potter or Nesta and Elain from Acotar (though these two are controversial)
6.I haven’t tried Cassandra Clare or Rick Riordan but yeah I don’t think that counts so I guess Stephenie Meyer
7.I’m not sure
8.the after series
9.13 reasons why,I didn’t like the book but enjoyed the show! The perks of being a wallflower was also a great movie,I liked it equally as much as the book.and I also liked the divergent movies but didn’t like the books

message 10: by Isabel (new)

Isabel (isabelmarua) 1. Miss peregrine's home for peculiar children. I even asked for the whole series for Christmas a few years ago because it sounded amazing. The first book was truly so so boring to me (what were those characters?) and I yet have to finish the other two.
2. Can't really think of one.
3. I don't come across a lot of love triangles in books...
4. Adult fantasy. It's too complex, too many names, vague storylines and I hate reading about battles. I do like some YA fantasy though not all.
5. Harry Potter (hahaha). He's soooo not the most interesting or fun character. I don't hate him but there are a lot of characters better than Harry.
6. Gillian Flynn. Psychological thrillers and murder mysteries are not what American authors are best at (please change my opinion by giving me some book suggestions). If you want to read these genres please just move right over to Scandinavian authors. Way spookier, more daring, deeper and such good plots. Oh and a great portion of female leading characters.
7. Mental health issues or addiction used in books to make a character more interesting. Don't write about these topics unless you are educated on them and it really adds to the story.
8. Game of thrones.
9. Lord of the rings and Harry Potter.

Don't hate me for my opinions. Always down to discuss ❤️

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather | 69 comments 1. Girl On A Train-hated it. 2. Twilight-I know, I know. So problematic, but I think of it as a beautiful train wreck(also a bit sentimental for me as my daughter and I read the books and watched the movies together) 3. Dresden and Susan (not together now, thank goodness, but they were and I hated it) You're not good enough for Harry, Susan! 4. YA, particularly YA contemporary. All the angst, the cheating, lying, drama. I didn't like this nonsense when I was in highschool. I certainly don't want to have to read about it now. (Rainbow Rowell and John Greene I'm looking at you) 5. Anne from Anne of Green Gables and Captain Ahab from Moby Dick. My 2 least favorite characters from my 2 least favorite books. 6. Cassandra Clare, Veronica Roth (I think that's who wrote Divergent series), Susan Collins(Hunger Games writer) 7. Cheating or abusive situations romanticized. Yes, I know Twilight (that's mostly for nostalgia though) 8. Matched, Selection series, anything by Rainbow Rowell or John Greene. 9.True Blood -for me the Sookie Steakhouse series really went off the rails after book 8 plot holes, character inconsistency just a mess. The TV series at least kept the characters consistent plus he kept LaFayette(he's killed in book 2) and Sookie's powers are much better in the series.

message 12: by Rida (new)

Rida Imran  (ridaimran) | 40 comments 1. The Darkest Minds, Cinder, Miss Peregrine's school for peculiar children
2. The ballad of songbirds and snakes
3. can't think of any right now
4. horror and thrillers
5. Feyre (ACOTAR)
6. Rainbow Rowell
7. Bad brooding dangerous boys as love interest
8. Throne of glass, Dark Artifices, Ender's game
9. Never Let Me Go, season 2 of Umbrella Academy

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael | 50 comments annesofie wrote: "OKAY SO LET'S DO THE UNPOPULAR OPINION BOOK TAG BECAUSE IT'S FUN

basically i'm gonna put all the questions below here and yall can comment your answers

1 The Sword of Kaigen
2 The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind
3 N/A
4 Romance
5 Felisin Paran
6 Terry Pratchett
7 Teenaged girls who beat on everything they meet
8 Divergent, Twilight
9 The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers, The Return of the King

message 14: by Kat (new)

Kat | 16 comments 1. a popular book or series you didn't like // Harry Potter

2. a book or series everyone else seems to hate but you love // I can't think of one

3. a love triangle where the person ended up with the person you didn't want them to end up with, or just an otp in general you dislike // I dislike Ruth Galloway and Nelson from Elly Griffith's book series and Strike and Robin from Robert Galbraith's series because they are used as devices for the authors to sell more books when the crime stories are just dull.

4. a popular book genre you hardly reach // Sci-fi

5. a popular or beloved character you don't like // Harry Potter

6. a popular author you can't seem to get into // J.K Rowling her pseudonym included

7. a popular book trope you're tired of seeing // In a series when the crime story is mediocre and the author uses the will they/won't they trope to invest reader's interest for the next book.

8. a popular series you have no interest in reading // Mo Hayder's Jack Caffery series.

9. a book to movie or tv show adaptation where you prefer the adaptation // Harry Potter (The movies were kinda atmospheric and the books kinda boring for me)

message 15: by Celia (new)

Celia Buell (celiareadsbooks) | 35 comments 1. a popular book or series you didn't like
Book: All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven by Jennifer Niven (same as OP I guess)
Series: City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare and the Shadowhunters series in general
2. a book or series everyone else seems to hate but you love
The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass series, but I admit I almost didn't read past the first one
3. a love triangle where the person ended up with the person you didn't want them to end up with, or just an otp in general you dislike
TBH probably Draco Malfoy and Astoria Greengrass from Harry Potter, because we never see her in the books. I wanted him to end up with an actual character.
4. a popular book genre you hardly reach for
horror
5. a popular or beloved character you don't like
Severus Snape from Harry Potter. Nothing excuses treating kids the way he did, and his redemption arc is honestly trash.
6. a popular author you can't seem to get into.
Cassandra Clare
7. a popular book trope you're tired of seeing
beginning of cozy mystery: cop suspects woman MC
middle of cozy mystery: cop pleads with woman MC to stop her own investigation
end of cozy mystery: cop is the only male the woman has ever talked to, therefore 💏
8. a popular series you have no interest in reading
again, Shadowhunters, the Mortal Instruments, and anything by Cassandra Clare. Also, Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth and Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman .
9. a book to movie or tv show adaptation where you prefer the adaptation.
there have only ever been two adaptations I feel this way about, and those feelings are STRONG
1. The Princess Bride by William Goldman - the book goes on far too long, and I honestly hate all the S. Morgenstern nonsense annotations. I've grown up with the movie and it's one of my favorites, that will never change.
2. Caging Skies by Christine Leunens to 2019's Jojo Rabbit. I won't spoil the plot since this isn't as well known, but let's just say, that movie absolutely deserved the "best adapted screenplay" award it won in the Oscars this year, and mad props for Taika Waititi for actually adapting that into something worth watching. I never say this but I'm so glad I saw the movie first.

message 16: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 303 comments 1. a popular book or series you didn't like: THRONE OF GLASS, CITY OF BONES, THE BOOK THIEF

2. a book or series everyone else seems to hate but you love: ARTEMIS, UPROOTED, WUTHERING HEIGHTS

3. a love triangle where the person ended up with the person you didn't want them to end up with, or just an otp in general you dislike: JANE EYRE AND MR ROCHESTER (She could've done better!)

4. a popular book genre you hardly reach for: ROMANCE, CONTEMPORARY

5. a popular or beloved character you don't like: KAZ BREKKER, TIGGER

6. a popular author you can't seem to get into: VE SCHWAB, LEIGH BARDUGO

7. a popular book trope you're tired of seeing: THE "STRONG WOMAN" WHO IS STRONG BECAUSE SHE ACTS MASCULINE
and AN ABUSIVE BOYFRIEND IS FINE BECAUSE HE'S HOT

8. a popular series you have no interest in reading: RED QUEEN, SHATTER ME

9. a book to movie or tv show adaptation where you prefer the adaptation: FIELD OF DREAMS, JURASSIC PARK

message 17: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) | 8 comments Audrey wrote: "1. a popular book or series you didn't like: THRONE OF GLASS, CITY OF BONES, THE BOOK THIEF

2. a book or series everyone else seems to hate but you love: ARTEMIS, UPROOTED, WUTHERING HEIGHTS

3. a..."

I LOVE UPROOTED SO MUCH

message 18: by seo eun (last edited Sep 06, 2020 06:56PM) (new)

seo eun Lee | 3 comments 1) Eleanor and Park
2) I don't have one
3) Rowaelin . From the very start of the Throne of glass,
I was team Chaol.
And also Alina and Mal from Shadow and bone.
4) Ummmm.... sci-fi I think.
5) The Darkling. I really don't see what other people see in him.
6) Maggie Stiefvater. I hated Shiver and it was better than Shiver
but I didn't like The raven boys, too.
7) YA contemporary about teens who have diseases that can't be
cured or very rare.
8) Twilight, Divergent etc
9) Ummmm Mazerunner I think.

Charlie ~ Happy Pride Month! (strangelittlereader) 1. a popular book or series you didn't like
AFTER GAH I HATE. Also couldn't get into Aretmis Fowl.

2. a book or series everyone else seems to hate but you love Twilight.

3. a love triangle where the person ended up with the person you didn't want them to end up with, or just an otp in general you dislike
MOON SHOULD HAVE BEEN WITH WINTER

4. a popular book genre you hardly reach for
Scifi. I like a few but it's soo hard to get into.
5. a popular or beloved character you don't like
Draco Malfoy, Jacob Black. I hate them both.

6. a popular author you can't seem to get into.
Veroica Roth? i have no plans to read any more of her books. I have a sort of detachment from them.

7. a popular book trope you're tired of seeing
Abusive Boyfriend, Not Like Other Girls, Good Girl/Bad Boy.

8. a popular series you have no interest in reading
Fallen, Fifty Shades Of Grey,

9. a book to movie or tv show adaptation where you prefer the adaptation.
Percy Jackson.

Lol jk, maze runner