Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Boneshaker (The Clockwork Century, #1)
This topic is about Boneshaker
Archives > [June] Boneshaker, by Cherie Priest - Part 3 [spoilers]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zaz (last edited May 29, 2017 12:30PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zaz | 3034 comments Part 3: 52-100% (chapter 16-end)

Notes:
- Each member is asked to end with a question for the next member.
- If the person above you forgets to pose a question then just pick a different one from above (make sure you indicate which one you're answering!)
- If some other question from above moves you then feel free to answer as many as you want. It is a discussion after all!

Part 3 Questions:
1. What did you think of the book? Did it deserve its award nominations?
2. Who was your favorite character and why?
3. If there was a dangerous area near where you live, would you want to visit it?
4. Do you plan on continuing the series and/or do you want to try another steampunk book?
5. Free discussion spot: discuss of what you want about the plot, the characters, comment other members' answers, etc.
6. Answer the question posed by the person above you!

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments 1. What did you think of the book? Did it deserve its award nominations?
I found it seriously "meh". The city and the environment was interesting, but the story wasn't interesting enough for me.

I really liked Lucy.

3. If there was a dangerous area near where you live, would you want to visit it?
Not sure, I don't think I'm that courageous.

4. Do you plan on continuing the series and/or do you want to try another steampunk book?
No I don't think I'm going to continue, but for my first steampunk I like the genre, so I might try it again!

My free discussion spot is also going to be my question: Were you surprise by Briar's revelation?
I was actually, I didn't expect that. But I also didn't really understand we she had to kill him!

message 3: by Ali (last edited Jun 29, 2017 08:52AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ali (alide_08) | 213 comments 1. What did you think of the book? Did it deserve its award nominations?
This one really fizzled out for me about half way through. I was absolutely enchanted by the first 100 or so pages, but then I felt like the pace quickened to a point that I was barely processing what was going on. The characters were very very flat. The dialogue for every character was totally interchangeable. I'm not really sure what the criteria is for the awards it was nominated for but the concept and the world building is typically what people go into Sci-Fi for and this was all world building and concept.

I guess Briar because for me she was the most distinct. I felt like all the white male characters Cly, Rodimer, Brink, Swankhammer etc. were totally interchangeable and without any real character traits. All the Chinese characters were even flatter besides maybe Fang. Character development is not Priest's strong suit.

On a whim, no. If I had a good reason, which I'm not sure Zeke did but Briar certainly did, perhaps.

I wasn't going to try the sequels but then I looked into them and they seem to have totally different main characters than the original. I'll probably read at least the second. I absolutely want to try other steampunk books.

5. Free discussion spot: discuss of what you want about the plot, the characters, comment other members' answers, etc.
Was anyone else super disappointed by Minnericht? Priest spent the whole novel building him up and it turns out not only is he not Levi (which would've been awesome) but he was pretty much an annoying copycat with no clear motives who was ultimately dispatched of pretty easily...?

6. Sophie's Question: Were you surprised by Briar's revelation?
I was super surprised like Sophie was. I think it was because killing Levi seemed totally out of character and, there doesn't really seem to be a reason why she killed him. I guess it was because he claimed the Boneshaker incident was an accident and really Levi built the Boneshaker to steal money from the banks and was going to take off with the money without Briar (?) There were also hints about him being controlling through out but during that dream sequence between Briar and Levi they seemed to be in love?

My question: How did you feel about the theme of interconnection and coincidence? Did you find it plausible that the characters were related in surprising ways?

message 4: by Zaz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zaz | 3034 comments 1. What did you think of the book? Did it deserve its award nominations?
There were some good ideas and the steampunk side was well developed, however the story didn't really work for me. Not a award quality in my opinion but there are awarded books that I really disliked or found boring and this one was better, so...

Probably Angeline, she was strong minded and seemed interesting. Lucy was nice too.

It'd depend if it's really dangerous (like toxic environment) or if you just need to be very careful. I like exploring and sometimes the areas aren't really authorized.

Not continuing the series, but I'll continue to read some steampunk here and there.

Sophie > no, I expected something like this as she obviously didn't want to discuss it, however I was surprised by her motivations (probably not in a good way).
Ali > I found who we was so lame and uninteresting! I expected something more, like him being involved in the boneshaker event for exemple.
One side I found a little strange in the book was the number of male characters who were HUGE men. I didn't really see the point of it, so it bugged me each time.

6. How did you feel about the theme of interconnection and coincidence? Did you find it plausible that the characters were related in surprising ways?
I found some of them nice but it was quickly too much, it seems all the town population knew at some point Briar's father.

message 5: by Ali (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ali (alide_08) | 213 comments I second, Zaz's comment about huge men and re-assert that Priest really wanted us to know that Cly was huge ...but so was Swankhammer. I'm still not certain they weren't the same person. Mostly the whole book was filled with interchangeable men .