Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Boneshaker (The Clockwork Century, #1)
This topic is about Boneshaker
Archives > [June] Boneshaker, by Cherie Priest - Part 2 [spoilers]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zaz (last edited May 29, 2017 12:29PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zaz | 3034 comments Part 2: 0-52% (end of chapter 15)
Part 3: 52-100% (chapter 16-end)

Notes:
- Each member is asked to end with a question for the next member.
- If the person above you forgets to pose a question then just pick a different one from above (make sure you indicate which one you're answering!)
- If some other question from above moves you then feel free to answer as many as you want. It is a discussion after all!

Part 2 Questions:
1. Do you enjoy the book?
2. Are the 2 points of view working with you? Which one do you prefer?
3. Is there an event or an information that surprised you?
4. What do you think of the steampunk elements so far? Are they something you find interesting, exotic, etc?
5. Answer the question posed by the person above you!

message 2: by Zaz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zaz | 3034 comments 1. Do you enjoy the book?
I find the world building interesting and there are some good ideas. The story and the characters aren't really working well with me, so I'm on the "ok" side rather than the "good" one.

I think they seem younger than their ages so it disturbs me a little. I'm also more interested in the other characters than these 2. So far, I prefer the mom.

All the intro part about how everything happened. Otherwise, almost everything about the "locals" is surprising.

4. What do you think of the steampunk elements so far? Are they something you find interesting, exotic, etc?
The book is actually more heavy on steampunk than what I'm used to with the genre, which is quite pleasant. Most of the ingredients are here and I like the addition of the masks and special items.

5. My question: Do you think that the 2 main characters could have better prepared their trip?

Michelle (mich2689) | 476 comments 1. Do you enjoy the book?
Yes so far. The world building is interesting and I want to know more about what's been happening inside and the people living there.

Yeah it's nice to see the story from two perspectives. Like Zaz, I prefer the mom. I think Zeke is a little annoying.

I was surprised at what the people living inside have built for themselves to make the place habitable for them.
I was also surprised that just as they were talking about how Maynard's is the safest spot there, they get attacked. I wonder how the rotters got there.

I think this is very steampunky. I've barely read any steampunk so this is very new to me but I'm enjoying it.

5. I definitely think they could have been better prepared, especially getting better masks. They really underestimated the rotters and the other dangers inside.

My question: Dr. Minnericht's character is a mystery so far. Who do you think he really is?

Sophie (sawphie) | 2924 comments I started answering the questions last week, but completely forgot and closed the tab! I have finished the book now.

1. Do you enjoy the book?
I wasn't really drawn into it from the beginning.

I liked them, especially as I was listening to the audiobook and there were 2 narrators (and great ones!). I liked how she used them to create a bit of suspense. I usually love multiple perspective though.
I definitely prefer Briar, although as Zaz mentioned she feels younger that she actually is.

I don't remember when they were talking about that, but it surprised me a bit when they were talking about the civil war and not really knowing what happened there. When thinking about it it's not that surprising considering the communication medium of the time, but at the moment it sparked my interest ;)

I liked the descriptions of some of the machines they were using, like the Daisy (I hope it's the right spelling as I listened to it).

Dr. Minnericht's character is a mystery so far. Who do you think he really is?
It is a little bit difficult to answer since I finished the book, but I think it crossed my mind that he might be Blue before they first mention this possibility.

My question: If you were in the main characters' situation, would you trust these weird strangers living in a dead city?

message 5: by Ali (last edited Jun 22, 2017 03:17PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ali (alide_08) | 213 comments 1. Do you enjoy the book?
I seem to be in the minority so far but I'm super into this book. I agree with what everyone is saying about the flatness of the character development and the "too young feeling" especially when it comes to some of the dialogue. For me, this book is best enjoyed like an action movie (think the Mummy or National Treasure). It's best not too think about it too deeply and just enjoy it for the light romp that it is.

Briar is the more interesting character and she has twice as many chapters as Zeke. I'd be perfectly happy if the whole book was from Briar's perspective, and actually think it would build some of the suspense.

This is my first steampunk novel so the best part for me is the integration of the surreal elements into a really historically rich backdrop.

I still can't decide if the zombie element is totally necessary. It feels a little hokey.

Overall, I'm really impressed with Priest's creativity. My favorite gadgets are Lucy's arm, (Can someone explain to me why she's leaking oil out of her head when it appears that only her arm is mechanical?), and the air purification systems. My least favorite part is the dirigibles. Dirigibles are overplayed and uninteresting in my opinion.

5.Sophie's question: If you were in the main characters' situation, would you trust these weird strangers living in a dead city?
So far it doesn't seem like Briar and Zeke have a choice but to just go with the flow. Both are pretty woefully unprepared to deal with what's going on in Seattle. I think I would probably get swept right along too. I do, however, think they're relying a little too heavily on that "sign of Maynard" free pass they seem to have going. There's bound to be someone who doesn't like Maynard.

My question: Do you buy Briar's supposed non-involvement in the Boneshaker incident?