Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > Q1. How did you experience the novel?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 1845 comments Mod
How did you experience the novel? Did it engage you right away or did it take a while to get going?

message 2: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 1845 comments Mod
When I read the blurb I was really excited about reading a novel that messes with time and I expected great things from it, however when I actually started reading the book I found the technique jarring.

Some parts work really well particularly conversations where you can read them backwards and forwards and they still make sense, other parts seem to lack cohesion as the reader was taken backwards to a specific event and then told the story forwards. I also felt that several things were inconsistent with the way the narrative was being told.

message 3: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 3896 comments Mod
I found the 165 pages to laborious to read. I agree with Book; the conversations that you could read backwards could make sense but it slowed you down to have to stop and read them backwards. I also felt that it was inconsistent. I also didn't think it was original because the idea of writing life backwards from old age to youth was done by F. Scott Fitzgerald and in his acknowledgment in afterwards, this is never mentioned. The other; WWII, Germany, doctors was unique to this author and he credits Primo Levi and the book, Nazi Doctors.

message 4: by John (new)

John Seymour I thought it was an interesting idea that might have made an interesting short story, but was really tedious in a novel length treatment. His fascination with reverse bodily functions just got really old. The first conversation - a quick greeting - he does with the sounds written out phonically backwards. When I saw that I thought "I'm not reading 165 pages of this nonsense. So thank goodness he only did that once.

Unlike Book, I very quickly disliked the book jacket blurb because it made the last half of the story entirely predictable.