J.D. Robb discussion

Bone Cold (The Malones, #1)
This topic is about Bone Cold
Monthly Book Discussion Library > Bone Cold by Erica Spindler - June 2017 (Spoiler Zone)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10171 comments Mod
Our June Book of the Month Poll winner is Bone Cold by Erica Spindler. We invite everyone to read and discuss this thriller with us! Open discussions will begin on June 15.

Many thanks to Jonetta for what promises to be another great read!

Synopsis:
Twenty-three years ago Anna North survived a living nightmare. A madman kidnapped her, cut off her pinkie, then vanished. Today Anna lives in New Orleans, writing dark thrillers under another name. She finally feels safe.

Suddenly Anna's quiet life takes a frightening turn. Letters start to arrive from a disturbed fan. Anna is followed, her apartment broken into. Then a close friend disappears.

Anna turns to homicide detective Quentin Malone, but Malone's more concerned with the recent murders of two women in the French Quarter. But after a third victim is found a redhead like Anna, her pinkie severed Malone is forced to acknowledge that Anna is his link to the killer and could be the next target.

Now Anna must face the horrifying truth her past has caught up with her.

I was pleasantly surprised to find this book is just $1.99 on Kindle! That's a plus. I've never read anything by this author before, but just realized that I also currently have an arc to read & review written by the same author.

message 3: by Charlene (last edited May 29, 2017 08:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 670 comments I'm going to log in to the library to check for availability. Looking forward to this one... Have it on order now, yay.

Charlene (charlenev) | 262 comments I found this one on Scribd...I'll be reading!

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments started this one yesterday and enjoying it a lot. looks like I might be continuing the series

message 6: by Jonetta (last edited Jun 24, 2017 06:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 12880 comments Mod
Settings
Southern California
New Orleans, Louisiana

Prologue
68 Chapters

Character List
(view spoiler)

Spoiler Info
(view spoiler)

Discussion Question #1
Discussion Question #2
Discussion Question #3
Discussion Question #4

message 7: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinmy) | 742 comments I'm hoping I have time to fit this one into June.

Mary Beth  | 179 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I was pleasantly surprised to find this book is just $1.99 on Kindle! That's a plus. I've never read anything by this author before, but just realized that I also currently have an arc to read & re..."

Sandra I just got this book from the library and reading The Other Girl also. I guess its going to be an Erica Spindler month. Both books look really good!

Mary wrote: "Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I was pleasantly surprised to find this book is just $1.99 on Kindle! That's a plus. I've never read anything by this author before, but just realized that I als..."

Sounds like it! Here's to hoping they are both good! :)

message 10: by Mary Beth (new) - added it

Mary Beth  | 179 comments Yes! Keeping my fingers crossed!

message 11: by Eve (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eve (everf) | 84 comments I've never read anything by this author before. But it looks like my library has many books by this author available, so I borrowed BONE COLD and plan to start with it this weekend.
I've been in a reading slump and nothing seems to be of my taste, so perhaps ES will save me ;) Hope she has good and capturing writing style!

Hope this gets you out of your slump, Eve!

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments Just finished reading this one and really enjoyed it. I had an idea of who it was before i was even half way through. However I was stilled shocked at the end. I am definitely going to continue on with this series.

message 14: by Eve (last edited Jun 04, 2017 06:18AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eve (everf) | 84 comments I started this one yesterday and so far its very good. The beginning was quite scary and difficult to read but not overly creepy, a'la Karen Rose.
I like that the storyline moves very fast. There's just a right amount of details and I like how the characters are introduced to the story. The characters sound interesting and well developed. Its this kind of book that grabs you from the start and keep you guessing right to the end.

message 15: by Mary (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mary Hogan | 1 comments Hi! I'm new to the group and decided to jump right in and read something new for the botm. I just finished it so I don't want to give it away for anyone. I'll save it for the discussion - didn't love it but didn't hate it. I'll probably get around to reading the rest of the series at some point to see where she takes it from here.

Hi Mary! Happy to have you join us! Open discussions will begin on the 15th. I haven't read it yet, but will start it soon.

Kristi | 215 comments I started it today. I should finish it up on my way to work in the morning.

I'm starting this now.

message 19: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 499 comments about 1/2 way in. liking it so far

message 20: by Judy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judy (bigfootgal) | 103 comments I just finished it. It was very gripping and I enjoyed it.

We'll be ready for open discussion on June 15.

Charlene (charlenev) | 262 comments I finished this one over the weekend...will come back to chat after the 15th.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 670 comments I don't think I'll be ready by 15th, but it's nearby. Will catch up with you as soon as I can.

message 24: by Jonetta (last edited Jun 14, 2017 10:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

The character list is in message #6. Do NOT open the Spoiler Info section until you finish the book.

Character List

message 25: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 499 comments finished and I had it figured out almost right away. waiting for the go to talk

It's a GO!

This is now a spoiler zone

Anna/Harlow is abducted as a child and witnesses the apparent murder of her six-year old friend Timmy. Did you ever suspect that Timmy was still alive?

message 28: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 499 comments I did as everytime Timmy was mentioned they said they never found a body so that right there had me thinking Timmy was the one. However I never imagined that he was raped and tortured by Kent. The author was very good at directing suspension to Terry. I also thought Minny was not a real person but one of a split personality because how Minny mail any letters if she was being held hostage.

message 29: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 499 comments question where do you think the name "Bone Cold" came from?

Jonetta wrote: "Anna/Harlow is abducted as a child and witnesses the apparent murder of her six-year old friend Timmy. Did you ever suspect that Timmy was still alive?"

It was never mentioned in my edition that Timmy's body was never found. There was no mention at all of what happened to him beyond Harlow's witness of his suffocation. It made me suspicious after awhile and I believed he was the one after Anna.

Susan wrote: "question where do you think the name "Bone Cold" came from?"

Anna described herself as feeling "bone cold" fear after seeing Ben on occasion, which I believe he was Adam in those moments. She also used that descriptor when she was being chased after leaving the club.

Did you ever believe Terry murdered the three women (Nancy Kent, Evelyn Parker & Jessica Jackson)?

Charlene (charlenev) | 262 comments Jonetta wrote: "Did you ever believe Terry murdered the three women (Nancy Kent, Evelyn Parker & Jessica Jackson)?"

nope...too easy. I actually had this one figured out about halfway through - I almost never do that! After that, I just kept reading to make sure I was right.

message 34: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 499 comments Did you ever believe Terry murdered the three women (Nancy Kent, Evelyn Parker & Jessica Jackson)?

I waffled back and forth at first no no way. Then yes and back to no again. I like how the author was able to shift around the possibilities of doubt

Charlene wrote: "nope...too easy. I actually had this one figured out about halfway through - I almost never do that! After that, I just kept reading to make sure I was right. ..."

I figured out the split personality situation really early on but wasn't sure if the person murdering the women was the same as the person who kidnapped Jaye and was terrorizing Anna. For a time, I believed Terry murdered those women but never believed he was the one after Anna.

Susan wrote: "Did you ever believe Terry murdered the three women (Nancy Kent, Evelyn Parker & Jessica Jackson)?

I waffled back and forth at first no no way. Then yes and back to no again. I like how the autho..."

So did I (waffle back and forth):)

Kristi | 215 comments I knew from the moment Ben talked about having a patient with multiple personalities during their lunch that he was the one stalking Anna. When Minnie talked to Jay through the door I figured she was another of his personalities. I just didn't realize he was Timmy. I don't think I even considered that Timmy may have still been alive.

I never believed that Terry murdered the women. I just figured he was an abusive alcoholic and a bit of a jerk, but not a murderer.

I had the same instincts about Minnie, too. I believed soon after Jaye was abducted that she was one of Ben's personalities.

I figured Ben was a split personality when he had headaches and memory lapses, symptoms often associated with this disorder.

Because I figured that out early, I filtered everything through that hypothesis and couldn't prove it wrong. Because he had no obvious connection to Anna, I just assumed he was Timmy.

Speaking of Ben...what did you make of him initially? Did your opinion of him change throughout the story? Did you think him a good guy?

Charlene (charlenev) | 262 comments Kristi wrote: "I knew from the moment Ben talked about having a patient with multiple personalities during their lunch that he was the one stalking Anna. When Minnie talked to Jay through the door I figured she w..."

me too...I didn't guess about Timmy either!

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 670 comments Jonetta wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "Anna/Harlow is abducted as a child and witnesses the apparent murder of her six-year old friend Timmy. Did you ever suspect that Timmy was still alive?"

It was never mentioned in m..."

It was never mentioned in the Large Print version that I read, either. So, no, it never occurred to me about Timmy, although I did guess about Minnie very early on.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 670 comments Since I'd figured that Terry was one of Ben's patients, I wondered r Ben got information about Anna from Terry somehow, but then realized that they were all about the same age. Since Kurt had to be an adult all those years ago, I wondered if he passed on the story about Anna to someone in the next generation. I think it would have spoiled the entire story for me if my version had mentioned that Timmy's body was never found. I was certain he had died back then.

I never picked Terry for the second and third murders; I knew that Ben was split-personality right at the beginning, for whatever reason. But I'd at first believed that Ben was imagining his mother was still alive, that he, unlike Terry, also hated his mother. I didn't get the good one-bad one reference from the Alzheimer's patient exactly right until things came together later in the story.

Charlene wrote: "Since I'd figured that Terry was one of Ben's patients, I wondered r Ben got information about Anna from Terry somehow, but then realized that they were all about the same age. Since Kurt had to be..."

This book certainly gave us enough details and suspects to weave several conspiracy theories:)

For a hot minute, I also thought Ben's mother might have been a figment of his imagination.

message 44: by Vera (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vera Maslow | 446 comments Anna/Harlow is abducted as a child and witnesses the apparent murder of her six-year old friend Timmy. Did you ever suspect that Timmy was still alive?

I didn't suspect that at all, which is what threw me on figuring everything out. In my copy it also did not say anything about the body never being found, so I did think he was dead the whole time.

Did you ever believe Terry murdered the three women (Nancy Kent, Evelyn Parker & Jessica Jackson)?

I went back and forth. It didn't quite ring for me that he did, though so much fit for him being the one that killed the women. During the interrogation is when I thought it could be. I never thought he was the one behind Jaye's kidnapping and stalking Anna though. So I also went back and forth with whether it was all the same person and connected or not.

Speaking of Ben...what did you make of him initially? Did your opinion of him change throughout the story? Did you think him a good guy?

I thought he was odd. I figured the split personality of him pretty quickly. I just couldn't figure why he would be the culprit. I thought he might be the one to have been doing everything for a time because during the black outs, but it was the motive that was elusive so kept throwing my suspicions around. Even so much as to think Adam was really a brother, friend or family member of Ben and not a personality. Though by the time in the book they were saying a possible brother I had leaned heavily on this being a personality and not a separate person anymore. In the end I did still like the "Ben" personality and think he was a good guy.

Quentin comes from a long line of policemen and isn't all that enamored of being a detective. Despite those feelings, what did you think of his investigative skills? Did he cross a line in getting involved with Anna? Your overall opinion of him?

Vera wrote: "I went back and forth. It didn't quite ring for me that he did, though so much fit for him being the one that killed the women. ..."

That kind of sums it up for me, too. I wanted to buy into him being the one but deep down, my heart wasn't in it.

Vera wrote: "In the end I did still like the "Ben" personality and think he was a good guy. ..."

Yeah, I thought he was, too, especially after learning the odd things about him were because of his other evil personality.

I never really suspected Terry...it just felt too "set up" to be him. I did figure he was cheating on his wife and I felt all along that he was one of Ben's patients. I figured Ben out fairly early...several clues led to his obvious split-personality issues. Also wondered if Minnie was one of them. What I wasn't sure about was why Ben was doing it. I did not suspect that Timmy had survived as it was pretty clearly indicated that he was dead. So I did not make the connection of Ben/Timmy. I wondered about the possibility of twins when his poor mother talked about the bad one and the good one. But still - was pretty sure it was Ben all along.

Jonetta wrote: "Quentin comes from a long line of policemen and isn't all that enamored of being a detective. Despite those feelings, what did you think of his investigative skills? Did he cross a line in getting ..."

I liked Quentin. I thought he did a decent job given the info he had to work with. I felt bad for him when he had to help lock Terry up - he was very torn about it. I liked that he was loyal enough to keep digging trying to figure out if someone other than Terry could have done it. Did he cross a line with Anna? Probably...but I liked them together. Thought the author did a good job with it all.

message 50: by Vera (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vera Maslow | 446 comments Jonetta wrote: "Quentin comes from a long line of policemen and isn't all that enamored of being a detective. Despite those feelings, what did you think of his investigative skills? Did he cross a line in getting ..."

Even though police work wasn't his dream I think he was a good detective and did put himself into his work. I never felt he was half hearted in it. I also did like him and Anna together, I wasn't quite expecting the way they jumped into bed when they did though and maybe that was crossing a line, but I liked how the author handled the relationship. It didn't feel cheesy or forced and it made sense.