Contemporary YA discussion

What is your stand-out contemporary YA book?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 10 comments What is everyone's stand-out contemporary YA book? That one you can't forget about, that changed you in some way, the one you go back to over-and-over again?

For me, it has to be Eleanor & Park. I know it is held up as a beacon of contemporary YA literature but I think in this case it's warranted. I love the way it allows the reader to fall in love with the characters as they fall in love with each other. It's so simple but effective and I don't think I'll ever be able to forget it how I felt when I was reading it.

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 1054 comments Mod
I haven't listened to Eleanor & Park yet...I have it too. Another one I need to make time for.

My fav contemporary YA is To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1) by Jenny Han and Paper Princess (The Royals, #1) by Erin Watt .

They are opposites of each other. One is sweet and innocent and the other is a smutty teen soap opera.

message 3: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 252 comments Mod
I don't think I have THE contemporary YA book for me, but I like Kasie West & Morgan Matson's books a lot. I have yet to read anything by Jenny Han and also Paper Princess, so we'll see.

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Natália wrote: "I don't think I have THE contemporary YA book for me, but I like Kasie West & Morgan Matson's books a lot. I have yet to read anything by Jenny Han and also Paper Princess, so we'll see."
I think I still have all of them. If you want to listen to them just let me know.

message 5: by T.J. (last edited Jun 20, 2017 03:00PM) (new)

T.J. Burns | 4 comments I loved The Loose Ends List by Carrie Firestone The Loose Ends List by Carrie Firestone .

I read it a year ago, but I still finding myself talking about it on a regular basis.

Take a look at my 5-star review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 6: by Andrea (new)

TJ wrote: "I loved The Loose Ends List by Carrie Firestone The Loose Ends List by Carrie Firestone.

I read it a year ago, but I still finding myself talking about it on a regular basis.

Take a look at my..."

It sounds good. You should nominate it for our Aug. group read. I will be opening nominations tomorrow.

message 7: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Marsala (tre_tre) | 63 comments The YA book I love and can not forget about us "I'll Give You The Sun" by Jandy Nelson.
What a beautiful journey this story lead me on! I enjoyed the way it was written & presented, I loved the characters, & I especially connected with the heartfelt pain & love that was gorgeously & vividly painted with words throughout this book. I would definitely put it in my top 5 Fave books I read this year & recommend it to everyone interested in finding meaning in the destiny within their lives.

message 8: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne I haven't been reading a lot YA lately. But last week I read A Monster Calls. I loved it. It's sad and thought provoking.

I really liked Out of the Easy.