Aussie Readers discussion

Just for Fun! > Favourite Australian winter location

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Baz (new)

Baz MW (bazcatt) | 91 comments I'm interested to know where other Australians venture locally for their winters.
Do southerners migrate north for their winter getaways?
Do northerners migrate south to try and remember what it feels like to wear a hoodie?

For some silly reason I decided to move to and buy a house in Brisbane when I am a strong advocate for cold weather (my partner is from Manchester and loves the climate here though).

3 hours west of Brisbane is the wine growing region of the Granite Belt and a beautiful little town called Stanthorpe.
Winters are brutal, it snows (yes, snow in QLD) and every year they celebrate Christmas in July. We try and make it a tradition to go and enjoy a warm fireplace, wineries and wintry Xmas dinner every July.

Which domestic location do you try and get to for your winters?

message 2: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) Baz, I was living in Brisbane also for about a decade and have become a bit weak, so my favourite place is by a warm fire in any location. But, when I lived in Melbourne I loved to hit the Mansfield area, its on the way to the snow fields and has beautiful bed and breakfast places all of which are warm and cozy on the inside. Have a meal at the Yarck Hotel at some stage, they have a great kitchen.

message 3: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 69445 comments Mod
My brother's mother in law lives in Stanthorpe Baz and they visit often :) How did you go with the floods recently? We were stuck in Q'ld trying to get home!

We usually go a little north - Coffs Harbour is a favourite place, also the Gold Coast now and then.

message 4: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 7970 comments We love the NSW Southern Highlands in winter for the crisp cold air and because it's cold enough to have a log fire and rug up to go outdoors. Reminds me a bit of my UK childhood!

message 5: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1861 comments A lot of my friends tend to head to the snow in NSW in winter. If you like the Granite Belt (wonderful wines) you could keep going along the New England highway to Glen Innes, Armadale ect. It is a nice road trip that me and friends do often over Easter.

Personally, if I had all the time in the world, I would head straight for North Queensland and go diving ;)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 3432 comments My favourite place in winter is cosy on the couch with a quilt, a book and the ducted heating on.

message 7: by Merv (new)

Merv Bonnell | 16 comments Rainbow Beach QLD, quiet little town on the coast, beautiful beach, very nice in winter.

message 8: by Baz (new)

Baz MW (bazcatt) | 91 comments Brenda wrote: "My brother's mother in law lives in Stanthorpe Baz and they visit often :) How did you go with the floods recently? We were stuck in Q'ld trying to get home!

We usually go a little north - Coffs H..."

Yes we were fine. We got some severe winds (bye bye gazebo), but our house is elevated on stilts thankfully

B the BookAddict wrote: "My favourite place in winter is cosy on the couch with a quilt, a book and the ducted heating on."

It's only when winter comes back that I remember that this is the most underrated place in the world haha

message 9: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 69445 comments Mod
Bad luck about the gazebo but thankfully your house was okay!

message 10: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3161 comments Love winter!

We enjoy going to the snow, or pretty well anywhere.

A couple of favourite places: Ningaloo station, Hotham.