Bright Young Things discussion

Group Reads Archive > Six months in 1945: FDR, Stalin, Churchill & Truman -- From World War to Cold War by Michael Dobbs (June 2017)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ally (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) | 1653 comments Mod
Welcome to the July non-fiction group read of...

Six Months in 1945: FDR, Stalin, Churchill, and Truman--from World War to Cold War by Michael Dobbs

Enjoy!

message 2: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 1002 comments Mod
I've started listening to it. So far, my main impression is how very ill FDR was by this time.

message 3: by Jennifer W (new)

Has anyone else gotten their hands on this one? I'm not very far into it, but I feel like I'm developing a sense of who FDR and Stalin were. Haven't really been introduced to Churchill yet.

message 4: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 162 comments Jennifer W wrote: "Has anyone else gotten their hands on this one? I'm not very far into it, but I feel like I'm developing a sense of who FDR and Stalin were. Haven't really been introduced to Churchill yet."

I have the book from the library, but have to finish a few other books first.

message 5: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1526 comments I haven’t gotten it yet.

message 6: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 162 comments I'm just about fifteen pages into the book, in the section about FDR. I feel like the author has a very engaging way of writing so far. Dobbs is trying to show the world leaders as real people with strengths, weaknesses, problems, and pressures as he introduces each one.

message 7: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1526 comments I've ordered it but it may not come until the 29th.

message 8: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (goodreadscomdawn_irena) I think I read this one a couple of years ago but I am getting it out again . It was a good one I had gotten on Audiables with Whyspersync . So I will join in .
Dawn

message 9: by Jennifer W (new)

I'm not making a ton of progress with this one, but I chip away every so often. I didn't realize that the quote of "a riddle wrapped in a mystery wrapped in an enigma " was from Churchill and was about the Russians.

message 10: by Val (new)

Val Jennifer W wrote: "I'm not making a ton of progress with this one, but I chip away every so often. I didn't realize that the quote of "a riddle wrapped in a mystery wrapped in an enigma " was from Churchill and was about the Russians."
I'm not making much progress either, although that is only partly because of the book; we have a heatwave at the moment and it is too hot to concentrate.
Churchill was very good at including soundbites in his speeches, that one is fairly typical. 'Iron Curtain' is his too: 'From Stettin in the Baltic to Trieste in the Adriatic an iron curtain has descended across the Continent.'

message 11: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1526 comments My book finally came today. Will start it either tonight or tomorrow.

message 12: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 162 comments I finished the book last night, and enjoyed it. I found that the second half of the book went faster since there were fewer new people at Potsdam to introduce. Dobbs has a lively, colorful style that was easy to read. I thought he especially did a good job explaining how much Russia had sacrificed, their grabs for land and reparations, and showing Stalin as a person and a politician.

Dobbs also has two more books about the Cold War that he wrote earlier, going further back in time with each book in the trilogy. His first book was Down with Big Brother: The Fall of the Soviet Empire about the 1970s and 1980s. The second book was One Minute to Midnight: Kennedy, Khrushchev and Castro on the Brink of Nuclear War about the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962. And the third book was our group read, Six Months in 1945: FDR, Stalin, Churchill, and Truman--from World War to Cold War about the 1940s when the Cold War began.