All About Books discussion

Upcoming Monthly Reads > June 2017 - What will you be reading?

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments What books are you planning to read in June?

message 2: by LauraT (last edited May 29, 2017 12:37AM) (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13144 comments Mod
These my next books

Hanya Yanagihara Una vita come tante
Michel Bussi Tempo assassino
Philip Pulman The Golden Compass
Jonathan Safran Foer  Eccomi
Angela  Thirkell  Never Too Late
Eric Emmanuel Schmitt I dieci figli che la signora Ming non ha mai avuto
Lars Gustafsson Il pomeriggio di un piastrellista
Javier Cercas  Anatomia di un istante

message 3: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) Laura, I'll be interested to know what you think of Here I Am. I read the other two novels by Jonathan Safran Foer and loved them both.

My plans for June:

finish The Possessed
Big Sur - this is a re-read, but it will be the first time I read it in English
The Secret Adversary
Sixpence House: Lost in a Town of Books
The Bonfire of Berlin: A Lost Childhood in Wartime Germany
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume 4
1984 - re-read, my first time in English
Get Me Out of Here: My Recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder
Everything You Need
Waking Lions

A lot of books, but this month I'm less sure about what I'll read. I may end up changing my reading list completely.

message 4: by LauraT (new)

Marina wrote: "Laura, I'll be interested to know what you think of Here I Am. I read the other two novels by Jonathan Safran Foer and loved them both."

I'll let you know Marina; but it won't be early: I'll be going to Budaperst on the 18th; whan I come back I'll start it.

message 5: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) Then enjoy your trip! I've never been to Budapest but I think it must be a wonderful city!

message 6: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments I still don't know what I will read. By sure I will finish the complete stories by Franz Kafka and Danube: A Sentimental Journey from the Source to the Black Sea by Claudio Magris if I won't be able to finish them in May.

List of books I will read next:
Living to Tell the Tale by Gabriel García Márquez
Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann.

message 7: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments LauraT wrote: "Marina wrote: "Laura, I'll be interested to know what you think of Here I Am. I read the other two novels by Jonathan Safran Foer and loved them both."

I'll let you k..."

Enjoy your trip to Budapest!

message 8: by LauraT (new)

Thanks dely!

message 9: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie You guys know me pretty darn well by now. I am currently at a loss for what to read in June. Give me suggestions please; please consider books you think are really special and that you think will work for me. I will then see if they are available on audio. Fiction or non-fiction are fine.

message 10: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Chrissie wrote: "You guys know me pretty darn well by now. I am currently at a loss for what to read in June. Give me suggestions please; please consider books you think are really special and that you think will w..."

Difficult task! I have to think about it. I already know that there isn't an audiobook of Life and Fate (and it's a shame). I don't remember if there are audiobooks of the books by Tiziano Terzani but I recommend you whatever you can find by him (though there are a few that I liked more and some I liked less, but they are all worth to be read).

I will think about it and I will let you know if I find something.

message 11: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie You are right, dely, neither of them are available.

I am really disgusted b/c I want some special books.

message 12: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Chrissie wrote: "You are right, dely, neither of them are available.

I am really disgusted b/c I want some special books."

Don't you have a "wishlist" from where you can pick up a few books randomly?

I'm reading now Danube: A Sentimental Journey from the Source to the Black Sea and I see that it's also in your to-read shelf. I would have suggested this if it would have been better. I.e. if you already know a lot about history of the countries crossed by the Danube, then maybe you may like it. It's full of names and anecdotes about history and literature of those places but sadly the author gives for granted that the reader already knows everything so he doesn't explain big events, but details of big events. I'm not liking it and it's a torture to finish it, also because of the pompouse language: it's too difficult.

message 13: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Chrissie, I had a look to your to-read shelf and these are the books I would recommend:

Waiting for Gertrude: A Graveyard Gothic
The Notebook, The Proof, The Third Lie: Three Novels
A Woman's Life
The Life Before Us
Resurrection
Oblomov

I think you will like them.

message 14: by Petra (new)

Petra | 3246 comments Chrissie, I second Waiting for Gertrude: A Graveyard Gothic, if it's available in audio. Thinking back on the format of the story, I think an audio version would work well.....and it's a fun book.
For non-fiction, The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer is a great choice.
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal is witty, funny and interesting. There are, though, a few off-the-wall sections that may be "iffy".
I would recommend The Enchanted, if you're in the mood for a bit of mysticism. It's a great story with an almost (but not quite) magical element.
I enjoyed Room as an audio. It's a "love it or hate it" sort of book, from the reactions I've seen.

message 15: by Chrissie (last edited May 30, 2017 09:10AM) (new)

Chrissie dely wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "You are right, dely, neither of them are available.

I am really disgusted b/c I want some special books."

Don't you have a "wishlist" from where you can pick up a few books rand..."

The Danube book does look good in the book description, BUT it is not available on audio and the pompous writing you speak of (and which I wasn't aware of) sounds bad.

Yeah I have a wishlist, but on that are books that are STILL not yet available on audio. I keep them there in case they turn up.....some day! I do have a few there that I can get, but they are there only halfheartedly.

I am going to go check your list in the next message and will return. I appreciate your help.

message 16: by Guy (last edited May 30, 2017 09:34AM) (new)

Guy Austin | 267 comments I am reading City of Dreams: The 400-Year Epic History of Immigrant New York by Tyler Anbinder

About 160 pages in and finding it very interesting, educational, and holding my attention. Not a quick read. I am getting through roughly 20 pages an hour. It is listed as 768 pages. However, some 168 are notes and Citations. It seems to be a very well researched non-fiction.

message 17: by Guy (new)

Guy Austin | 267 comments Chrissie wrote: "You guys know me pretty darn well by now. I am currently at a loss for what to read in June. Give me suggestions please; please consider books you think are really special and that you think will w..."

I was going to recommend Forty Autumns: A Family's Story of Courage and Survival on Both Sides of the Berlin Wall, but I see you have read it. And I see you enjoyed it as well.

I'll suggest Blood at the Root: A Racial Cleansing in America by Patrick Phillips It is pretty good. The history and the heart breaking reality is hard to believe, but sadly it is true.

message 18: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie dely wrote: "Chrissie, I had a look to your to-read shelf and these are the books I would recommend:

Waiting for Gertrude: A Graveyard Gothic
[book:The Notebook, The Proof, The Third Lie: Three N..."

I went through these. Only one of them is available. All are on my wishlist. I will be read the one by Tolstoy; that does look very good! Phew, one book so far. It is terribly annoying seeing books I want to read and cannot . That one on the cats looks marvelous. Sigh. Thank you dely.

message 19: by Chrissie (last edited May 30, 2017 10:28AM) (new)

Chrissie The cat one is NOT available to ME! Damn publication restrictions! I don't want to read about cancer. Reading about sick people scares me to death. My younger brother died of cancer. Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal i would try if it were available, but it is not. Room sounds like it might freak me out? I know it i son my lists but I have always been too scared to pick it up.

The Enchanted looks terribly creepy and me reading fantasy? I am asking for good ideas and this has been in my radar, so if you think it will work for me, I guess I should try it. Isn't it basically about the horrendous American judicial system? Or have I got that wrong? And do you seriously think Room would fit me? I don't usually read crime novels. Which of these two are better?

message 20: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Guy wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "You guys know me pretty darn well by now. I am currently at a loss for what to read in June. Give me suggestions please; please consider books you think are really special and that..."

Thanks, Guy. I have now added that and I can get it!!! You guys are really helping me.

message 21: by Petra (new)

Petra | 3246 comments I wouldn't classify The Enchanted as fantasy, yet it has mystical elements. I thought it showed more about 2 people with similar backgrounds (abusive childhoods) who turned out very differently (one on death row, one a law-abiding member of society). In between we learn of the other inmates (some truly horrible). It's such a different story that I am at odds about recommending it, yet it's a beautiful story, in its way. It's an oxymoron of a story: dark, yet with touching elements.

Room.......it's a love/hate sort of book. I think since you don't read many crime novels, I wouldn't recommend it for you.

message 22: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Guy wrote: "I am reading City of Dreams: The 400-Year Epic History of Immigrant New York by Tyler Anbinder

About 160 pages in and finding it very interesting, educational, and ..."

I forgot to say. i think I read that book about NY. If I remember correctly...... I got it from my Mom. Isn't it basically about the Jewish people in the city?

message 23: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Petra wrote: "I wouldn't classify The Enchanted as fantasy, yet it has mystical elements. I thought it showed more about 2 people with similar backgrounds (abusive childhoods) who turned out very differently (on..."

Petra, The Enchanted does sound like a better bet. What is its message would you say?

message 24: by Petra (new)

Petra | 3246 comments One choice or decision or assumption can make all the difference in one's life.

message 25: by Chrissie (last edited May 30, 2017 12:20PM) (new)

Chrissie Petra, I am going to go with The Enchanted. You have convinced me. Thank you.

message 26: by Pink (last edited Jun 29, 2017 11:22AM) (new)

Pink My plans are -

The Professor 3 stars
Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies 4 stars
The Waves
Decline and Fall 4 stars
The Oresteia 3 stars
The Two Gentlemen of Verona

Adding -
The Count of Monte Cristo currently listening
Exit West 3 stars

Chrissie. I tired to think of something to recommend you, but I was stumped. I'm having a hard time thinking of books for myself right now, perhaps it's the time of year. Anyway, I hope you like The Enchanted.

message 27: by Guy (new)

Guy Austin | 267 comments Chrissie wrote: "Guy wrote: "I am reading City of Dreams: The 400-Year Epic History of Immigrant New York by Tyler Anbinder

About 160 pages in and finding it very interesting, educa..."

No, This is focused very broadly. They discus Jews, but as of yet it is still in the early 1800's. It covers the major topics of each time period and group. Including the Dutch who started it. Jews have been mentioned and I suppose it will, some point, become more discussed in latter years.

message 28: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Guy, hmmm, what is the book that I read then? It could be that you have not come far enough. I am speaking of how I saw the entire book. I do remember it being very much a deep thorough study, full of statistics and details. Parts of it were rather dry. I don't have the book here where I am so I cannot check the title, but it sure sounds familiar. I hope you are enjoying it.

message 29: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Pink wrote: "My plans are -

The Professor
Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies
The Waves
Decline and Fall
The Oresteia
[book:The..."

I am going to check out what you are reading.

message 30: by Chrissie (last edited Jun 18, 2017 02:14AM) (new)

Chrissie I want to thank dely and Petra and Guy and Marina who helped me find books to read this month. I actually found two more that also look interesting.

I have three books carried over from last month, the one I am currently reading, another non-fiction book and a fiction.

Fiction:
Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley 3 stars read
The Enchanted by Rene Denfeld 1 star read
Resurrection by Leo Tolstoy 3 stars read
Non-fiction
On the Road: the Original Scroll by Jack Kerouac 3 stars read
Memories, Dreams, Reflections by C.G. Jung 3 stars read
The Latehomecomer: A Hmong Family Memoir by Kao Kalia Yang 5stars read
Life Stories: Profiles from The New Yorker 4 stars read
Blood at the Root: A Racial Cleansing in America by Patrick Phillips 4 stars read
One Man's Meat by E.B. White 4 stars read

For more books read this month see message 45.

message 31: by Alice (last edited May 31, 2017 10:33AM) (new)

Alice Poon (alice_poon) Pink wrote: "My plans are -

Pink, Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies is a thought-provoking must-read. Great book!

message 32: by Alice (new)

message 33: by B the BookAddict (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments I just want my reading mojo back!

message 34: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Bette , I feel for you and hope you get it back. My slump was pretty short lived , just a week , thankfully. Have you tried reading an old favorite?

message 35: by Alice (new)

Alice Poon (alice_poon) Just take it easy Bette. It'll come back :)

message 36: by Paul (new)

Paul (paa00a) | 202 comments I've got a couple of books on reserve at the library that I'll read, plus, now that I've finished the Dark Tower series, I want to read through the graphic novel versions. I also need to get back on the ball with reading nonfiction books I actually own, so I've listed a couple that I've been wanting to pull down from the shelf.

Universal Harvester
Lincoln in the Bardo
The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger BornLynched: The Power of Memory in a Culture of Terror
All the President's Men

message 37: by Paul (new)

Paul (paa00a) | 202 comments Alice wrote: "Pink, Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies is a thought-provoking must-read. Great book!"

Agreed. It really explains the broad sweep of history in a way that makes a lot of sense.

message 38: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 344 comments Chrissie - glad you are reading The Late Homecomer since you loved The Song Poet so much. Let me know how they compare!

message 39: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Colleen wrote: "Chrissie - glad you are reading The Late Homecomer since you loved The Song Poet so much. Let me know how they compare!"

Yep, that is exactly what I want to see!

message 40: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie B the BookAddict wrote: "I just want my reading mojo back!"

I feel for you, Bette.

message 42: by B the BookAddict (last edited Jun 01, 2017 01:15PM) (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments Angela, I tried an earlier Anita Shreve whose writing I love but even that felt lacklustre.

message 44: by Pink (new)

Pink Alice wrote: "Pink, Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies is a thought-provoking must-read. Great book!"

I'm reading this now, it very comprehensive and I'm enjoying it so far.

message 45: by Chrissie (last edited Jun 30, 2017 12:09PM) (new)

Chrissie Well I need to plan more books. I have chosen these:

Fiction
All the Rivers by Dorit Rabinyan 3 stars read
A Parchment of Leaves by Silas House 5 stars read
The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford 1 star read
A Far Cry from Kensington by Muriel Spark 5 stars read

Non-fiction
Hons and Rebels by Jessica Mitford 4 stars read
Tolstoy: A Biography by A.N. Wilson DNF 1 star
James Baldwin: A Biography by David Leeming 3 stars read
Essays of E.B. White by E.B. White 4 stars read

What I do not read this month I will move over to next month.
See message 30 for other books read this month.