Books of Literature by Nobel Prize Winning Authors: 2020 Challenge discussion

2017-18 challenge > Chosen book for 1900-09

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments Post here your choice and also your review.

message 2: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments Do you mean the book I read for this year's challenge?
I read Kim, which was the group read.

message 3: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Do you mean the book I read for this year's challenge?
I read Kim, which was the group read."

No, I am setting up the threads for the 2017-2018 cycle which will begin in July. For you and I it will be our silver challenge or second cycle.

message 4: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments My choice for this decade is The Old Wives' Tale. I chose this book because I have read others by this author and enjoyed them, but this is one I have not read. If you want to buddy-read this with me post here. Otherwise post your own choice if you want to do the challenge.

message 5: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments I read The Old Wives Tale a few years ago and I know you will enjoy it. It is one of my favourite Bennett books.
My husband and I are going on holiday for 2 weeks at the end of June. We are taking the train from Toronto to Prince Rupert, via Jasper. Then to Whitehorse and Yellowknife by plane. I am so excited. I will plan my reading when we get back home in time for Canada Day.

message 6: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments I am going to read The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux. This book is out of my comfort zone (Gothic novel) but I enjoyed Dracula, so maybe I will enjoy the book. From what I have read, the book is quite different from the musical.

message 7: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I am going to read The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux. This book is out of my comfort zone (Gothic novel) but I enjoyed Dracula, so maybe I will enjoy the book. From what I have read, the bo..."

I have put both of our choices up as books of the month and anyone who wants to buddy read them with us, please post here. Thanks.

message 8: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I read The Old Wives Tale a few years ago and I know you will enjoy it. It is one of my favourite Bennett books.
My husband and I are going on holiday for 2 weeks at the end of June. We are taking ..."

That should be great fun. Enjoy!

message 9: by Rosemarie (last edited Jul 23, 2017 08:48PM) (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments I have read about 80% of The Phantom of the Opera and find the book engrossing. I have never seen the musical, so I don't know know how faithful it is to the book.
But I have a feeling they have romanticised the Phantom.

I have just finished the book. It is a good example of a gothic novel, with some very imaginative scenes that take place in the lower level of the opera house. On the whole, it is a very sad story about Erik, an unfortunate man who just wanted to have a normal life but couldn't because of his appearance.