Books of Literature by Nobel Prize Winning Authors: 2020 Challenge discussion

2017-18 challenge > Chosen book for 1980-89

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments Post here your choice and also your review.

message 2: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments A Gathering of Old Men by Ernest J. Gaines

Another book from the American south, Louisiana bayous in this case.
The old men in the novel are a group of old black men who gather together to help an old friend after a white man has been killed. In the course of one day they gain their dignity and the respect of the white sheriff. It is a wonderful book, written from the perspective of a variety of characters. I loved it.

message 3: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments Rosemarie wrote: "A Gathering of Old Men by Ernest J. Gaines

Another book from the American south, Louisiana bayous in this case.
The old men in the novel are a group of old black men wh..."

sounds good. On my TBR list

message 4: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments The Inhabited Woman is the book I read for this decade. A surprising find; my review

What a great book. The soul of an Indian warrior woman from the time of the Conquistadors inhabits the mind and body of a modern day Nicaraguan woman, Lavinia, during the Somoza dictatorship.

Lavinia becomes self aware and aware of the incongruities of the life lived by the rich when along side are the desperately poor. She undergoes personal transformation.

A story that questions many things written by a woman who lived in this time and place and saw the land, the people, the struggle, with the heart of a poet and wrote a book worthy of her heart.

message 5: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments That sounds fascinating. How did you discover this book?

message 6: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments Rosemarie wrote: "That sounds fascinating. How did you discover this book?"

It was on another book group; classical female authors. They chose another book but this was one put forward and I thought this sounded interesting.

message 7: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments Thanks. Our public library actually has a copy in Spanish, which I can read very slowly, or a little faster depending on the writing style. But I won't be reading it until next year. I have a pile of my own books to read.
Have you read any books by Isabel Allende?

message 8: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Thanks. Our public library actually has a copy in Spanish, which I can read very slowly, or a little faster depending on the writing style. But I won't be reading it until next year. I have a pile ..."

I have read Daughter of Fortune which I really enjoyed