2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2017 > Hannah's 10 different lives for 2017

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 182 comments This is the first year I have participated in the Goodreads yearly reading challenge as only just joined Goodreads this month (May) so a newbie to the group and Goodreads.

Yet already I have a list of a 50 books I want to read which I probably would never have heard about.

message 2: by Hannah (last edited Jun 28, 2017 11:34AM) (new)

Hannah | 182 comments For 2017 I aim to read 10 books.

Update: Challenge completed 28/6/17 :D

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik (bleepnik) | 852 comments Welcome, Hannah! Have fun with your reading this year. =)

message 4: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Nik wrote: "Welcome, Hannah! Have fun with your reading this year. =)"

Thank you :)

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments Welcome Hannah!
Goodreads has that effect on its members. If you are anything like me (and most people in this group (and Goodreads)), that list will grow exponentially :D

Good luck reaching your goal! And if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask :)

message 6: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Lisa wrote: "Welcome Hannah!
Goodreads has that effect on its members. If you are anything like me (and most people in this group (and Goodreads)), that list will grow exponentially :D

Good luck reaching your..."

Thank you and haha yeah have a feeling the list will grow and grow and grow and will probably never stop growing. Hopefully will reach the goal as already 4 books down.

One quick question is there any books you would highly recommend

message 7: by Lisa (last edited May 29, 2017 01:33AM) (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments What kind of stuff do you like to read?
One of my all-time favorites, and probably the one I always recommend first is The Little Prince.

Luckily, I've really enjoyed everything I have read so far this year :)
My favorites so far have been: American Gods, The Golem and the Jinni, Flowers for Algernon and A Monster Calls.
And if you enjoy non-fiction, I found But What If We're Wrong? Thinking About the Present As If It Were the Past really interesting.

Hope that helps :)

message 8: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Literally like to read pretty much anything but probably books which transport me into another world.

Same here, I have luckily enjoyed every book I have read so far this year :) My top 2 favourites so far will probably have to be Everything, Everything and The Hunger Games.

Yeah it helps lots think my list will be expanding pretty soon :)

message 9: by Hannah (last edited Aug 05, 2017 06:30AM) (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Book 1: A Game of Thrones
By George R. R. Martin
Completed: 2017
Rated: 5/5

As someone who is watching the HBO series while reading Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire), I would recommend those who are just watching the show need to read the books as there are obvious differences - the books have a ton more characters so there are tweaks between what happens in the book compared to the show [ different people die so when watching the show I would notice it but it didn't affect how good they are (hide spoiler)]

The one thing I thought that would annoy me would be the length of the descriptions but somehow the way GRRM writes them just further adds to atmosphere and makes it more realistic and easier to image and feel part of the world that is Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire).

Epic journey which leads your mind wondering what will happen next.

message 10: by Hannah (last edited Aug 05, 2017 06:47AM) (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Book 2: A Clash of Kings
By George R. R. Martin
Completed: 2017
Rated: 5/5

The second book of A Song of Ice and Fire, which carries on the epic journey which was started in the first book.

Review
Second book and GRRM carries on with the epic journey that started in book 1. Some of the plots in book 1 come to a end, others get further and further complex and to throw you off just a little bit there is the introduction of Davos Seaworth and Theon Greyjoy which have their own plots and storylines to fit in with the one (maybe more) major plots of A Song of Ice and Fire.

Davos Seaworth chapters can feel a bit dull compared to others but have a feeling that his chapters will get better in the following books.

message 11: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Book 3: Everything, Everything
By Nicola Yoon
Completed: 11/5/17
Rated: 4/5

I loved this book from beginning to end (or at least the near end). The only reason this book has 4 stars instead of 5 is the ending didn't feel like a complete ending. It feels like something is missing but I don't know what....maybe it because it feels like it could be carried on in another book but none the less well worth a read.

message 12: by Hannah (last edited Aug 05, 2017 06:13AM) (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Book 4: The Hunger Games
By Suzanne Collins
Completed: 26/5/17
Rated: 4/5

Gripping storyline, cannot wait to read the second part.

Review
Katniss in the The Hunger Games reminds me of me sometimes.... okay she is more badass than I ever will be but the way she fights for the ones she loves, tries to do her best but fails sometimes and feels that her fails have impacts on others. She tries to put on this outer hard shell to protect those around her or even herself but comes off that she has no emotion, so when does break down and cry you feel sorry for her. All of this makes Katniss such a relatable person especially to young women.

Well worth the hype that was around this book and will definitely be reading the rest of the trilogy and watching the movies.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments Hannah wrote: "Literally like to read pretty much anything but probably books which transport me into another world.

Same here, I have luckily enjoyed every book I have read so far this year :) My top 2 favouri..."

Everything, Everything is on my list even though I have a feeling it might not be for me, but I'll give it a try at some point :) And I should really read the Hunger Games books now that I've watched all the movies :D

message 14: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Lisa wrote: "Hannah wrote: "Literally like to read pretty much anything but probably books which transport me into another world.

Same here, I have luckily enjoyed every book I have read so far this year :) M..."

I thought I wouldn't love Everything, Everything due to the way it was laid out but in the end found that the way it was laid out brought something to the book which is hard to explain. Haha yeah you should and I probably should watch the movies but might wait until I finish the trilogy :)

message 15: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 3986 comments Good luck with your challenge Hannah! I have the feeling that you are gonna do great :)

message 16: by Nik (new)

Nik (bleepnik) | 852 comments Literally like to read pretty much anything but probably books which transport me into another world.

My top current recommendations:
- The Night Circus
- The Fairyland series

message 17: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Hannah wrote: "yeah have a feeling the list will grow and grow and grow and will probably never stop growing..."

You better believe it! Started on Goodreads this year and (seeing that I read about 2 books a month) have enough books on my TBR list to be reborn again and have a second life filled with reading lol

Welcome and happy reading!

message 18: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Ilona wrote: "Good luck with your challenge Hannah! I have the feeling that you are gonna do great :)"

Thank you, hopefully will exceed the challenge but thought it was a good number to start with since haven't read much other than a uni book :)

message 19: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Susy wrote: "Hannah wrote: "yeah have a feeling the list will grow and grow and grow and will probably never stop growing..."

You better believe it! Started on Goodreads this year and (seeing that I read about..."

Thank you for making me feel so welcomed. The one reason I love reading is the many lives I get fill part of. Currently have close to 70 books on my list so enough probably to do the challenge 7 times over :D

message 20: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Nik wrote: "Literally like to read pretty much anything but probably books which transport me into another world.

My top current recommendations:
- The Night Circus
- The Fairyland series"

Thank you for the recommendations, they have been added to the ever growing list.

message 21: by Hannah (last edited Aug 20, 2017 12:30PM) (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Book 5: The Secret Dreamworld of A Shopaholic
By Sophie Kinsella
Completed: 29/5/17
Rated: 4.5/5

Wow wow, I just couldn't put this book down today so much so I read nearly all of it in one day. It seems to have a way of gripping you that you want to find out what's going to happen next and how much more debt Miss Rebecca Bloomwood was going to get in and what unnecessary thing she was going to buy next to cover up the fear and sadness of the ever growing debt.

Loved the way the author added in the letters from the banks and department stores she had credit cards with as it added even more realism. Found it extremely hard to put down especially halfway through (only took 3 days to read from beginning to end). Definitely going to be reading the rest of the series.

Challenge update: Halfway through!!! 5/10 books read

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments Congratulations on reaching the halfway mark! Here's to five more great reading experiences (and hopefully many more) :)

message 23: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Lisa wrote: "Congratulations on reaching the halfway mark! Here's to five more great reading experiences (and hopefully many more) :)"

Thank you, surprised myself thinking I only started the challenge this month. Oh I think there will definitely be many more with all the wonderful recommendations everyone has given me today. How's the challenge going for you Lisa?

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments Hannah wrote: "Thank you, surprised myself thinking I only started the challenge this month..."

I've noticed that many people comment on finding themselves reading a lot more after joining this group.
It's going great! I started the year with a modest goal of 12 books, thinking I would only have time to read one per month, while balancing university stuff, work and so on. Hit that mark mid-March, and have since raised it twice, so I'm really surprised and excited :)

message 25: by Hannah (last edited Aug 05, 2017 06:55AM) (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Book 6: A Storm of Swords: Part 1 Steel and Snow
By George R. R. Martin
Completed 1/6/17
Rated 4/5

Review

'All men are fools, if truth be told, but the ones in motley are most amusing than the ones with crowns'

What is there to say.... well for one the amount of detail that goes into describing the scene it somehow makes you feel like you are in the world itself but think I rather stay this side for now... much safer that way. Yes it is a big story line and a cruel world where people die (a lot of people) but it just wouldn't feel right if it was shorten in anyway. There is the right amount of detail. Just a warning, DO NOT fall in love with the characters, you may end up heartbroken.

Now to read part 2 (In the UK this book is split into two parts due to it's size).

message 26: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Lisa wrote: "Hannah wrote: "Thank you, surprised myself thinking I only started the challenge this month..."

I've noticed that many people comment on finding themselves reading a lot more after joining this gr..."

Think I may have to join you on increasing the target goal for the challenge as now read 6 out of 10 books with still 6 months of the year left to go.

message 27: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Book 7: A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold
By George R. R. Martin
Completed 16/6/17
Rated 4.5/5

This book made me want to laugh then cry and it always takes you off guard on what is going to happen next... so many plot twists. You think you have the answers to questions from part one and some you do but others it's hard to tell. Definitely a book I couldn't put down ... you know it must be good when it distracted me and kept my nerves from shredding while waiting to know what my degree classification was (all good I will graduate with a upper second class with honours :D)

message 28: by Hannah (last edited Aug 20, 2017 12:42PM) (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Book 8: The Pirate's Wish
By Cassandra Rose Clarke
Completed 19/6/17
Rated 4/5
Seeing Ear Book 1

Please note that this rating is based upon me reading this book while editing and proofreading for the company I volunteer for so may not be fully accurate as I was having check for mistakes as well as read the book.

Review
While I haven't read the previous book 'The Assassin's Curse' mainly due to the fact I was given this book to proofread and edit for my volunteer work. However I was able to still understand the storyline and was able to understand why this book started the way it did. However I think at some point I will go back and read 'The Assassin's Curse' to get a better understanding of why Ananna was on the island at the start of 'The Pirate's Wish'.

message 29: by Trinity (new)

Trinity Go Hannah! You're almost at your goal :D

I'm glad you really liked Everything, Everything. I just read it this month and I know what you mean about it missing just a little something. Once it ended I kept looking at the next page saying that can't be it! But I did love it and the way it was written does have a big effect, I felt so much more connected to Maddy in that way.

Anyway, good luck!!! I hope you find many more books and series that you end up loving :)

message 30: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Trinity wrote: "Go Hannah! You're almost at your goal :D

I'm glad you really liked Everything, Everything. I just read it this month and I know what you mean about it missing just a little something. Once it end..."

Yaaay glad someone else thought it was missing a little something too, are you going to go see the movie based on the book? Yeah the writing made it feel more realistic. Hopefully The Sun Is Also a Star will be the same greatness.

Thank you for the good luck :)

message 31: by Trinity (new)

Trinity Yes I plan on seeing the movie! Are you?
I am hoping to read The Sun is Also a Star next month :)

message 32: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Yeah I am planning to see the movie but may have to wait until it comes out on DVD as think I missed it. Hope it goes well, hope to read it before summer is over :)

message 33: by Hannah (last edited Jun 21, 2017 05:23AM) (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Book 9: Mogworld
By Yahtzee Croshaw
Completed 21/6/17
Rated 4.5/5

I think this book would still be enjoyable even for non-gamers as the plot twists and turns with further sub plots added in just for fun. Kinda think of the sub plots as additional quests which had to the storyline of the main plot. (view spoiler)

Challenge update: 1 book to go :)

message 34: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Book 10: Rivers of London
By Ben Aaronovitch
Completed 28/6/17
Rated 4/5

So many things could have gone wrong with this book thinking it's a mixture of supernatural/magic and crime. Yet somehow Ben Aaronovitch made it work, I guess writing for Doctor Who was helpful when preparing to write this book.

There was never a dull moment as the story is completely unpredictable.

Challenge update: Challenge completed!! Now lets see how far I can pass it. :)

message 35: by Hannah (last edited Jun 28, 2017 01:52PM) (new)

message 36: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Book 11: The Home Crowd Advantage
By Ben Aaronovitch
Completed 1/7/17
Rated 3/5

Good little story which is an interesting addition to the series. Though I wish it was a little longer as it feels like it ends a little suddenly (hence the 3 stars) and feels like it could easily be carried on to be the same size as the Rivers of London. Well worth a read if you like the Peter Grant series.

Probably will be the shortest book I read this year as it is only 25 pages long.

message 37: by Hannah (last edited Aug 20, 2017 12:57PM) (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Book 12: Out of Sight, Out of Time
By Ally Carter
Completed 5/7/17
Rated 4/5
Seeing Ear Book 2

This is another book which I was proofreading and editing, but really did enjoy it, which made it easier and more enjoyable to work on. Think I will have to start the series from the beginning as looks like something I might enjoy.

Review
While I haven't read any of the books before this one mainly because I am slightly out the age range this aimed at, I was glad that I was given the opportunity to proofread and edit this book for my volunteer work as it's a great book that kept my interest which made it easier to do the volunteer work for.

It kept my interest so much that I have a feeling I will be going back and reading the rest of the series.

message 38: by Hannah (last edited Aug 20, 2017 01:08PM) (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Book 13: Life Of Pi
By Yann Martel
Completed 21/7/17
Rated 4/5

Probably my most favourite quote from the book would have to be: 'Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it, a jealous possessive love that grabs at what it can.'

This books seems to get mixed reviews of people either loving it and giving it four or five stars and people who hate it. I thought to begin with I was going to be someone in the middle (3 stars) who didn't hate it but didn't love it, but boy was I wrong. In the end I ended up slightly loving it (hence the four stars).

(view spoiler)

message 39: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Book 14: Nero and the Burning of Rome
By Tacitus
Completed 22/7/17
Rated 3/5
Seeing Ear Book 3

Rated 3 out of 5 as felt it jumped around a bit but that could have been due the fact I was proofreading and editing it.

message 40: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Book 15: Cinder
By Marissa Meyer
Completed 30/7/17
Rated 4.5/5

Interesting twist to a fairytale I grow up with and loved as a child. I couldn't help falling in love with Iko so was sad near the end of the book when (view spoiler).
Going to be a series that I carry on reading.

message 41: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Book 16: The Woman in White
By Wilkie Collins
Completed 31/7/17
Rated 2/5

Sadly the first book this year that I have read that felt like being rated 2/5 stars.
Pushed through to end but struggled to pick this book up and would even feel sleepy reading just a few pages, it just never grabbed my interest which is a shame. Most likely this book was gripping when it was first published in 1859, but sadly since then all the surprises written are no longer surprises. Glad I pushed through and read it though so time wasn't wasted on the 672 pages.

message 42: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Wow, respect! Don't know if I had managed to finish 672 boring pages.....

message 43: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Susy wrote: "Wow, respect! Don't know if I had managed to finish 672 boring pages....."

Thanks and believe me it was a struggle but pushed on hoping it would get better.

message 44: by Hannah (last edited Aug 20, 2017 01:28PM) (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Book 17: Two Viking Romances
By Anonymous
Completed 3/8/17
Rated 3/5
Seeing Ear Book 4

Nice little interesting book to introduce you to the world of medieval viking romance.

message 45: by Hannah (last edited Sep 02, 2017 06:15AM) (new)

Hannah | 182 comments July Reading Summary

Coming soon :D (hopefully by mid September)

message 46: by Hannah (last edited Aug 10, 2017 07:11AM) (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Book 18: Desert Flowers
By Paul Pen
Completed 8/8/17
Rated 5/5

Review
I received this book via Netgalley thanks to the publisher; AmazonCrossing in exchange for an honest opinion.

After reading this book I was left with an emotional ache, one that was tingled with sadness and happiness that clashed together, a definite sign that this book is an absorbing and addictive general fiction novel which deserves five stars and more.

After getting halfway through the book, I found it near impossible to put down and only would put it down as tiredness overtook me. I just had to keep reading to find out what was next as the twists and turns of the theme played with your mind. At one point I wasn't sure who to believe, I kept going back and forth between believing Rick and then the parents (view spoiler)

I know for sure after reading this book, I will be reading other books by Paul Pen and hoping that they are as gripping as Desert Flowers.

message 47: by Hannah (last edited Aug 20, 2017 01:15PM) (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Book 19: Attack of the Giant Robot Chickens
By Alex McCall
Completed: 10/8/17
Rated 4/5
Seeing Ear Book 5

Not sure I want to hear or read any more chicken jokes for a while... so many but some made me chuckle or is that cluck :D

message 48: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Lol

message 49: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Book 20: A Jot of Blood
By Katherine Bayless
Completed: 15/8/17
Rated 3/5

Review

Thanks to Netgalley and Scry Media for allowing me to read this book early

Okay not going to lie but the first thing that drew me into reading this book was the slightly surreal consequence that I also live in a place called Coventry which also has something similar to an academy (it has an university). So at points I found myself imagining that the Coventry I live in was the one in the book.

I found myself getting stuck in and not wanting to stop and only stopping when the battery on the Kindle died. It was helped by the fact that the characters are well developed and Lire, Zach and Cal all have different magical powers which makes it more interesting and more realistic.

Looking forward to part 2 of this series to see how it is carried on.

message 50: by Hannah (last edited Aug 23, 2017 06:30AM) (new)

Hannah | 182 comments Book 21: Revenge of the Robot Chickens
By Alex McCall
Completed: 23/8/17
Rated 4/5
Seeing Ear Book 6

Review

Revenge of the giant robot chickens is the sequel/follow on book from Attack of the Giant Robot Chickens and is still filled with the chicken jokes/puns that me chuckle in the first book.

In this book however you get the story told by mainly Rayna (also known as the Ambassador) with a few inserts (chapters) from Jesse. This made for a nice change.

Well worth a read.

« previous 1