Sir Walter Scott Appreciation discussion

The Heart of Mid-Lothian > week 5: Chapter 26-31

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 319 comments Mod
Post here

message 2: by Tracey (last edited May 29, 2017 01:10AM) (new)

I have noticed the names Scott gives to his characters and reminds me very much of Dickens. For instance; Mr. Whackabairn the school master.

1. What do you think of the suggestion of Mr. Saddletree to ask for 1/2 day off for the school to go see the hanging of Effie?

2. Jeanie sets off on foot from Edinburgh to London which is approximately 670 miles. Could you imagine such a journey? Plot a journey from where you live to 670 miles or 417km and imagine doing this trip. This is a very courageous journey amidst unknown perils.

3. What do you feel for Madge Wildfire? Pity? Revulsion?

4. What is the difference between her and her mother?

5. What do you think of George Robertson after hearing Madge's tale?

message 3: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 270 comments Mod
I feel pity for Madge and revulsion for her mother. Madge has lost her mind due to the loss of her baby and abandonment by George.
I don't think Jeanie knew how far away London was in miles, only that it was far. And nothing was going to stop her.

message 4: by Tracey (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "I feel pity for Madge and revulsion for her mother. Madge has lost her mind due to the loss of her baby and abandonment by George.
I don't think Jeanie knew how far away London was in miles, only t..."

I also feel the same way about Madge and her mother. Her mother is almost a witch like figure in the story. I really don't think much of George. He is a philanderer who uses women and seems very dissolute by the life choices he has made.
Do you think the story is based on a true story of a woman called Helen Walker who did what Jeanie did to save her sister's life? Or is that a made up tale?

message 5: by Lori (last edited May 31, 2017 02:37AM) (new)

Lori Goshert (lori_laleh) | 46 comments I think I remember hearing that Jeannie's character was based on a real person.

I wanted to go skim through this book again so I could participate in the discussions, but I don't think I'll be able to. We're moving back to the US next Tuesday (after 8 years in Prague) and I'm super busy!

But I love this book. It's one of my favorites.

message 6: by Tracey (new)

Lori wrote: "I think I remember hearing that Jeannie's character was based on a real person.

I wanted to go skim through this book again so I could participate in the discussions, but I don't think I'll be ab..."

Lori, good luck with your move. I understand international living having lived in the UK, Canada and the US and such upheavals do take time and energy. I read mainly children's books when I am undergoing stressful changes. Whenever you are ready I am sure your Goodreads friends will be glad to hear from you.

message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori Goshert (lori_laleh) | 46 comments Thanks! We're staying with my mom right now and trying to get settled in.

message 8: by Tracey (new)

Lori wrote: "Thanks! We're staying with my mom right now and trying to get settled in."

When we first moved to Canada we stayed with a family for 6 weeks until our home was ready and we only knew them via the internet. (they homeschooled and I did and we went to the same church). They had 5 very gregarious girls, a husky dog, several cats and a pot bellied pig all on 1 acre of land. At the time I felt overwhelmed but looking back I remember it as one of the best times of my life. My 2 children certainly enjoyed it (aged 7 and 2 at the time). It appears to me that there is indeed a time and season for all things and that when changes occur, don't fight it or expect anything of anyone (most especially oneself) but just let it play out as it will.