What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Gothic romance set in 1800s. Spoiler ahead... [s]

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited May 28, 2017 03:20PM) (new)

Heather | 179 comments I believe the heroine is an upper class, not noble woman, who is wooed and won by an older nobleman. He gives her a really strange engagement ring, very heavy with a large black stone in it. She moves to his house, which is supposedly haunted by a woman wearing black. She sees this woman in the yard from time to time. At some point, I think she has a son. There is a local man who becomes a friend and confidante when she begins to believe she is going crazy.

Spoiler Alert**

She isn't going crazy. The woman is her husband's mistress. Her husband is trying to kill her. The book ends with the friend, the heroine and her son (?) escaping in a carriage from the burning house.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39296 comments Mod
When did you read it or about when was it published? Author female or male? Remember the cover? Set in what country or region?

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather | 179 comments I read it in the mid to late '70s to early '80s, the author was female, and it was set in England. It was a paperback with a dark cover, but I can't remember any details about it.

message 4: by CrazyUnicorn (new)

CrazyUnicorn | 218 comments Maybe one of Victoria Holts books. Or her other pen name Philippa Carrs books.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather | 179 comments I know it wasn't Victoria Holt. I'll check Phillippa Carr.

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35167 comments Mod
Author Philippa Carr - mentioned by Luci

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather | 179 comments I went through the Philippa Carr books, and while I remember reading some of them, it wasn't one of them. I also went through Phyllis A. Whitney, Dorothy Eden, Jane Aiken Jones and Madeline Brent. So far, no luck. I did remember reading some of theirs, too.

message 8: by Holly (new)

message 9: by Heather (last edited May 29, 2017 09:25PM) (new)

Heather | 179 comments Holly wrote: "Maybe check this list? https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/8..."

I think I may have found it. I've ordered a copy of the book, and will see. It may be Greygallows.

Thanks for the suggestion!

message 10: by Kris (last edited May 30, 2017 06:41AM) (new)

Kris | 35167 comments Mod
Moved to the "Possibly Solved" folder. Please come back and let us know if your request is solved or if you're still looking for the book. Good luck!

Added a spoiler alert to the topic header.

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather | 179 comments Definitely Greygallows! Solved!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Greygallows (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Philippa Carr (other topics)