Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Mystery/Suspense?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Best (ambest) | 3 comments Looking for a new mystery or suspense read to dive into. Thanks!

message 2: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2943 comments Are you up to date on Micheal Connelly's Bosch? Or John Connolly's Bird Parker series?

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7794 comments Hi Amanda,

Give us some clues as to what you're partial to. Detective mysteries? Standalone thrillers? Who are your favorite authors?

A couple of suggestions:

In the Woods by Tana French
The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson

Also, at year end last year we did a "best of" listing. Maybe something there will strike your fancy.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

message 4: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7794 comments Barry wrote: "Are you up to date on Micheal Connelly's Bosch? Or John Connolly's Bird Parker series?"

Barry, I just finished the TV series from Amazon Prime and it is *awesome*. Captures the books perfectly.

message 5: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Carden | 125 comments Amanda wrote: "Looking for a new mystery or suspense read to dive into. Thanks!"
City of the Lost by Kelley Armstrong
Now You See Me by Sharon Bolton. My two favorite mysteries/suspense

message 6: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2943 comments I have been staying current on the Bosch series. It is very well done, and I had no expectations that it would be.

message 7: by Ann (last edited May 29, 2017 10:32AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Maureen: Since you like Now You See Me;
I suggest the Maisie Dobbs books by Jacqueline Winspear. They are historical, set in London and Maisie is a strong female character/ investigator.
Since you like City of the Lost I suggest the Sara Alt books, the first was a group read book in 2016. Trudy Nan Boyce is the author Out of the Blues is book one.

Maureen wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Looking for a new mystery or suspense read to dive into. Thanks!"
City of the Lost by Kelley Armstrong
Now You See Me by Sharon Bolton. My two favorite mysteries/suspense"

message 8: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Carden | 125 comments Ann, I've followed Maisie Dobbs since the beginning. I will certainly look into the other authors as they are new to me.

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Maureen: I have loved Maisie Dobbs since the beginning too;
What a character and a good way to understand more of the impact of the two world wars.
Have you ever read S.J. Rozan? Her Lydia Chin and Bill Smith series is really good and I love Marcia Muller's books. They are older series but favorites.
Maureen wrote: "Ann, I've followed Maisie Dobbs since the beginning. I will certainly look into the other authors as they are new to me."

message 10: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Carden | 125 comments I've read a lot of Rozan, but maybe not in recent years.

I think I have read all of Muller's books, but none of her husband's books.

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Maureen: What about these two, Dana Stabenow and Laurie R. King?

Maureen wrote: "I've read a lot of Rozan, but maybe not in recent years.

I think I have read all of Muller's books, but none of her husband's books."

message 12: by Maureen (last edited May 30, 2017 09:26AM) (new)

Maureen Carden | 125 comments I think I missed the last few years of Stabenow. I do need to pick her up.

Sadly (and I hope this doesn't get me kicked off GR) I am a freak of nature, and I don't really like Sherlock Holmes in any of his incarnations. Except for Robert Downy Jr. I am not that far gone.

message 13: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Carden | 125 comments I just put in a library request for the first Sara Alt book.

message 14: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3589 comments Maureen wrote: "I think I missed the last few years of Stabenow. I do need to pick her up.

Sadly (and I hope this doesn't get me kicked off GR) I am a freak of nature, and I don't really like Sherlock Holmes in a..."

I know what you mean about the freak of nature thing, but for me it's Agatha Christie. Never have cared for her and I've tried both Marple & Poirot.

message 15: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1364 comments Maureen wrote: "I think I missed the last few years of Stabenow. I do need to pick her up.

Sadly (and I hope this doesn't get me kicked off GR) I am a freak of nature, and I don't really like Sherlock Holmes in a..."

If you were getting kicked off GR for disliking Sherlock Holmes, I should also be kicked off. Yet I love some of the books in Laurie R. King's Mary Russell series. I perceive the series as being about Mary Russell who I think is a wonderful character. Oh, and I am a fan of Elementary, but it's precisely because he's different from the standard Sherlock Holmes.