Review Group discussion

Finished rounds > Group 146. Clean. Loralee Evans

Comments Showing 1-50 of 124 (124 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Emma, Group Admin (last edited May 30, 2017 11:48PM) (new)

Emma Jaye | 4058 comments Mod
The review group is the most successful group for peer reviews on goodreads. It hosts non-reciprocal reading/review rounds of ten authors with a variety of themes and genres, as well as ‘general’ rounds where any book is permitted, from non-fiction, to horror. When a round has ‘now forming’ in the title, there are places available, you can sign up. If it doesn’t, it’s full – look for another round.
The new amazon rules state that authors/publishers are no longer allowed to specifically supply published books in return for reviews on amazon. To comply with this new rule, we no longer insist members review on amazon. However, we are all in the same situation, we want reviews.
When sorting out groups, I prioritise those members who have fully participated in previous groups and don’t have multiple review connections with the other participants.

This is a clean round

Fiction and non-fiction, adult and children's books are acceptable.
No explicit violence or explicit sexual situations. If you have to wonder if an aspect of your book could be considered offensive, this is probably not the group for you!

If you are only willing to review your own preferred genre, make sure you join a genre round. Allocation is entirely random and there will NOT be any rearranging of the listing to accommodate personal preference. The ONLY circumstance in which you may duck out of giving a review is if YOU provide a stand-in reviewer.
Let’s be honest here – we don’t all like the same things but we all want reviews. The only way this group can function is if we trust each other to behave honourably. And it IS perfectly possible to give a fair-minded review of a text that does not coincide with our normal choice of reading matter. If you need a few hints/tips, please see this thread:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Now for the boring stuff, but please read it, it saves a lot of time if everyone is on the same wavelength.
Before signing up below with your goodreads author and goodreads book link in the thread below, please ensure that:
1. You have enough time to read and review 4 books within the time allowed.

2. Your book is currently available for sale on amazon (not pre-order) and it complies with the individual round theme, if there is one.

3. Your book is fit to be reviewed. If it is not, due to editing or other issues, you risk poor reviews. This is your problem, not that of the reviewers or the groups. For a small fee, the group admin will look at the first few pages of your book to advise. The number one error new authors make is not having their book beta read and edited, by non-family members.

4. You can submit reviews to goodreads, amazon.com and amazon.uk. Amazon has recently changed their criteria for reviewers to allow only those people who have spent $50 on amazon. If you are unsure about your amazon reviewer status, try posting a ‘test’ review before signing up.

5. You can provide (and accept) at least PDF files. Many authors can also provide mobi and epub files. You are not expected or required to buy the books you are allocated to review. Some authors borrow books via KU and others provide smashwords coupons. This is their choice. International Copyright laws apply. You cannot sell, or give away material you have received without the author’s express permission.

6. It is up to individuals what disclaimers they place in a review concerning receiving a book in exchange for a review. Note: reviews that state you received a copy ‘IN RETURN’ for a review will probably be removed/not allowed by amazon.com. ‘I received a free copy from the author without an obligation to review’ would be more acceptable if you feel the need to add a disclaimer.

7. You have completed your reading if you are currently in another review round in this group. You can be involved in the ‘one for one’ list whilst you are in a round.

8. You have an author profile set up before you join.

9. Your goodreads profile allows people to message you, i.e. your profile is not set to private.

10. You declare any relationship you have with another member in the round. Amazon will not allow reviews from the same household on the same book or if you are an editor, relative or close friend of another member.

11. You agree that your reviews will be unbiased and honest, whatever the star rating, and you will try to avoid ‘spoilers’. i.e. giving away the finale of a book.

12. You will not ask a fellow author to change a review of your book because you don’t agree with it. If you think you have a legitimate concern, talk to the mod of your round, NOT the other author. Personal attacks, or pressurising other members WILL NOT BE TOLERATED and will result in you being blacklisted.

13. The new amazon.com review guidelines do not allow for free books to be supplied in return for reviews. Therefore, you are not obliged to review on amazon, just on goodreads. We all want reviews, its why we joined the group. It is bad taste to expect other people to review your book and then not do the same for other people in the group. People that DNF and/or don’t post reviews will find it difficult to get into a subsequent group.

14. Your goodreads details and the rounds you participate in will be recorded by the admin mod on a database. We do not retain details of email addresses etc.

The founding principle of the group is honest, non-reciprocal reviews, so please help maintain the integrity of the group by letting me know as you sign up if you have been reviewed by, or have reviewed another author in the group. Usually places are allocated on a first come, first served basis.
I will do my best to fit everyone into the group they request, but occasionally, particularly in the case of our more prolific good standing members, I may have to decline a member request to fit the maximum number of people into a particular round. I will always endeavour to start another round as soon as possible with that member in mind.
It is permissible to review an author more than once if a different book is available.
If you need anything clarified please ask, either by goodreads personal message to me or on the thread below, before signing up. It’s a pain to have to keep rearranging the list because people haven’t read the above.

Your group moderator will be
Loralee Evans

Member Links
1.Loralee Evans
2.Himanshu Arora
3.Emily Williams
4.Kaye Newton
5.https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2...
6. James W. George
7.Ian G. Welch
8.Margaret Standafer
9.Janeen R. Brown
10.Alastair Henry

Book Links
1.Felicity~ A Sparrow's Tale
2.We Were Three
3.Letters to Eloise
4.Incision Decisions: A Guide to Getting Through Surgery, Recovery, and Your Hospital Stay
5.Just In Time: How To Find Joy and Synchronicity In Every Moment
6.My Father's Kingdom: A Novel of Puritan New England
7.Circumstantial Truth
8.Misty Lake in Focus
9.Unleash Joy: 30 Days to Clarity, Peace, and Long-Awaited Happiness
10.Budget Backpacking for Boomers

message 2: by Loralee (new)

Loralee (loraleeevans) | 834 comments Mod
Hello! I look forward to modding this group and participating in it.

In addition to the rules stated above (please read them!) it is a good idea not to post your personal email here for everyone to see. It's safest to message the people you are to review and who are to review you, and give them your email in a personal message. Doing so reduces the risk of spammers from getting your email.

Please make sure you read all the "boring stuff" as Emma called it, and as you sign up, indicate that you read and agree to the rules of the group.

As Emma said, this is a "Clean" review round.

"Fiction and non-fiction, adult and children's books are acceptable.
No explicit violence or explicit sexual situations. If you have to wonder if an aspect of your book could be considered offensive, this is probably not the group for you!"

Here is my book: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 3: by Himanshu (new)

Himanshu Arora | 34 comments Hi there
I am willing to participate in this section if allowed
We Were Three
Himanshu Arora

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen Callan | 14 comments I would love to join this group. My book title is Just In Time; How To Find Joy and Sunchronicity In Every Moment.
Here is my book: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

And on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/148270...

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen Callan | 14 comments I have read and agree to the rules and terms of the group.

message 6: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Harstad | 12 comments My book is Christian contemporary fiction with romantic elements, but clean. The mother was murdered/stabbed, but it wasn't shown. She describes it. Sound okay?

message 7: by James (new)

James George | 66 comments I would like to add "My Father's Kingdom" if able. Mod has already reviewed it.
I will post the links tonight. I have 2 reviews to write for 137 but have read the books and reviews will be posted shortly.

Nothing says "clean" like Puritan New England.

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily Williams | 89 comments Hi -

I would like to add my book Letters to Eloise to the review group if that's okay?

http://amzn.eu/6UCTj5Y
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...
There is romantic encounters but no explicit sex or violence.

Many thanks!
Emily

message 9: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Folks, I can say whether a book would or would not be suitable for this round. I haven't (and won't be) reading them. Besides, I write steamy stuff so I'm probably not the best judge!

If your book is deemed unsuitable by any member, the mod has the final say. If a book is found to not to meet the groups criteria you will still have to review your allocated books. However, from the descriptions that have been given, everything seems fine. Explicit usually involves body part descriptions!

I'll start adding the links now.

I take it as no one has mentioned any previous review links, everyone is fine to review anyone else.

James give me a shout when your reviews are posted and I'll add you.

message 10: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Karen, you need to claim your author profile before you can join.

message 11: by James (new)

James George | 66 comments Hi Emma
Loralee has reviewed my book.
Thanks

James

message 12: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Standafer | 98 comments I would like to join, have read all the rules. Of the three books/authors listed so far, I have reviewed Loralee's Felicity books and have not been reviewed by anyone.

My book, Misty Lake in Focus Misty Lake in Focus

Margaret Standafer Margaret Standafer

message 13: by Alastair (new)

Alastair Henry (alhenry) | 10 comments I too would like to join.

Here is my book: Budget Backpacking for Boomers

message 14: by Janeen (last edited May 29, 2017 05:27PM) (new)

Janeen Brown (janeenbrown) | 3 comments I'm interested in participating in this round, I've read the rules and understand.

My book, Unleash Joy is non-fiction self-help, targeted to overwhelmed women. Stress management is my #1 keyword: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

A little about me: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

Danger Brown is my husband (he may participate also).

message 15: by James (last edited May 29, 2017 04:17PM) (new)

James George | 66 comments Hi Emma

I think I've realized my earlier post caused confusion. When I said "mod has already reviewed it" I meant I have a conflict with Loralee. I know you're not the "Clean Book Kommisar" but that does sound like an interesting premise for a novel.

Anyway, my reviews in the other rounds are all done. I've read and agreed to the rules. Here are my links. Thanks much.

JG

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

message 16: by Kaye (new)

Kaye Newton | 18 comments I would like to join and have read all the rules. My book, "Incision Decisions" is a non-fiction guide to getting through surgery.

https://www.goodreads.com/search?q=in...

Thanks,
Kaye

message 17: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Janeen, It would be far better if you and your husband participated in different rounds. Amazon often flags reviews from people at the same IP address. We have had problem with couples in the same group on several occasions.

message 18: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Whew, that was quick, only one place left.

PLEASE mention any review clashes asap. If I have to go back and rearrange after I've set up the group I get very cranky.

GRRRRRRR. ;-)

message 19: by Ian (new)

Ian Welch | 65 comments HI, am I just in time to be too late? If not please add my name to the list. My book is Circumstantial Truth, no explicit violence or sex.
Circumstantial Truth
Cheers
Ian

message 20: by Loralee (new)

Ian should be good to fill the last spot, right Emma?

Ian, you haven't reviewed anyone or been reviewed by anyone on this list before, is that right?

message 21: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

He's only been in one group before, 112 and there are no clashes with this round.

I'll set up the group ASAP, but I have a few to do this morning so bear with me.

message 22: by Glen (new)

Glen Weissenberger (glenweissenberger) | 33 comments Emma, it still possible to join this CLEAN review group?

I have loved being in this group, and just finished my latest book, a popular nonfiction movie review book about magic and Hollywood, named "Reel Magicians: The Art and Science of Magic in Hollywood Movies"

Here is the Amazon link, as I am having linking problems and the cover isn't affixed here in Goodreads (???)

https://www.amazon.com/Reel-Magicians...

I don't know if there is any flexibility to sneak into this round; I would love to if I can, as it clearly doesn't fit any other category!

But yes or no, I wish you all great reading, and look forward to the next time I can join you!

Thank you, Emma, for your consideration!

All best,

Glen Weissenberger

message 23: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

I'm afraid this one is full. There will be a general starting at the end of the week.

message 24: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Ready, steady, go!

START DATE: 30. May 17

END DATE: 23 Aug 17

Round 1 – post your review by 21-Jun-17
Round 2 – post your review by 12-Jul-17
Round 3 – post your review by 02-Aug-17
Round 4 – post your review by 23-Aug-17

As AUTHORS you send your book file to:

146-01__ Loralee Evans
Alastair Henry for round 1
Janeen R. Brown for round 2
Margaret Standafer for round 3
Ian G. Welch for round 4

146-02__ Himanshu Arora
Loralee Evans for round 1
Alastair Henry for round 2
Janeen R. Brown for round 3
Margaret Standafer for round 4

146-03__ Emily Williams
Himanshu Arora for round 1
Loralee Evans for round 2
Alastair Henry for round 3
Janeen R. Brown for round 4

146-04__ Kaye Newton
Emily Williams for round 1
Himanshu Arora for round 2
Loralee Evans for round 3
Alastair Henry for round 4

146-05__ Karen Callan
Kaye Newton for round 1
Emily Williams for round 2
Himanshu Arora for round 3
Loralee Evans for round 4

146-06__ james W. George
Karen Callan for round 1
Kaye Newton for round 2
Emily Williams for round 3
Himanshu Arora for round 4

146-07__ Ian G. Welch
james W. George for round 1
Karen Callan for round 2
Kaye Newton for round 3
Emily Williams for round 4

146-08__ Margaret Standafer
Ian G. Welch for round 1
james W. George for round 2
Karen Callan for round 3
Kaye Newton for round 4

146-09__ Janeen R. Brown
Margaret Standafer for round 1
Ian G. Welch for round 2
james W. George for round 3
Karen Callan for round 4

146-10__ Alastair Henry
Janeen R. Brown for round 1
Margaret Standafer for round 2
Ian G. Welch for round 3
james W. George for round 4

As REVIEWERS you will receive books for review from:

146-01__ Loralee Evans
Himanshu Arora for round 1
Emily Williams for round 2
Kaye Newton for round 3
Karen Callan for round 4

146-02__ Himanshu Arora
Emily Williams for round 1
Kaye Newton for round 2
Karen Callan for round 3
james W. George for round 4

146-03__ Emily Williams
Kaye Newton for round 1
Karen Callan for round 2
james W. George for round 3
Ian G. Welch for round 4

146-04__ Kaye Newton
Karen Callan for round 1
james W. George for round 2
Ian G. Welch for round 3
Margaret Standafer for round 4

146-05__ Karen Callan
james W. George for round 1
Ian G. Welch for round 2
Margaret Standafer for round 3
Janeen R. Brown for round 4

146-06__ james W. George
Ian G. Welch for round 1
Margaret Standafer for round 2
Janeen R. Brown for round 3
Alastair Henry for round 4

146-07__ Ian G. Welch
Margaret Standafer for round 1
Janeen R. Brown for round 2
Alastair Henry for round 3
Loralee Evans for round 4

146-08__ Margaret Standafer
Janeen R. Brown for round 1
Alastair Henry for round 2
Loralee Evans for round 3
Himanshu Arora for round 4

146-09__ Janeen R. Brown
Alastair Henry for round 1
Loralee Evans for round 2
Himanshu Arora for round 3
Emily Williams for round 4

146-10__ Alastair Henry
Loralee Evans for round 1
Himanshu Arora for round 2
Emily Williams for round 3
Kaye Newton for round 4

Please remember the commitment you are making to your fellow group members. If you pull out after the start date for any reason it is the other members who will be faced with the problem of finding a replacement, or missing out on reads/reviews, through no fault of their own. Please don’t ask the moderators to chase after replacements as we just don’t have the time.

It is the responsibility of the author to get their book to their readers in a format the reviewer can manage. Everyone must be able to provide and accept PDF. You may buy or borrow the books you are due to read if you wish, and I’m sure the author will appreciate the verified review, but IT IS NOT COMPULSORY. There are no set dates for the start of each round. You can each work at your own pace, within the limits of the round deadlines.

All reviews must be posted to GR. We also encourage members to post on amazon .com and .uk. When you have posted your reviews, please post the three links to your reviews, not the book page in this thread.
The mod of each round will record whether members have posted reviews on amazon. I set up all the groups, and for the good of all, members who persistently fail to post reviews or DNF reviews to amazon, will find me less than willing to add them to subsequent groups.

Postings to other sites are by agreement by both author and reviewer.

If I’ve missed something that results in you being asked to review someone who has already reviewed you, please let me know asap.

To exchange book files, my advice is to use PM to give email addresses to each other (save the chance of spammers getting your addies from this open forum). Happy reviewing, everyone :)

message 25: by Loralee (last edited May 31, 2017 08:20PM) (new)

Hello!

I will be moderating this round. If you have questions, ask me. If I don't know how to help, Emma will.

This group is in the business of giving honest, non-reciprocal reviews. As such, you may sometimes get less than stellar reviews. That's how things are sometimes.
Once a review has been posted, please do not contact the reviewer. If you think someone has been unfair or abusive in a review, please let me or Emma know. Do not message or email the reviewer directly. (Note Rule 12 above)

As Emma said, it's best to PM the people you are to review and who are to review you, and exchange emails that way, thus reducing the risk of being spammed.

Once your reviews are done, post links directly to the reviews here. Don't post links to the book pages.

Again, if anyone has questions, send me a PM, and I'll do my best to help.

~Loralee

message 26: by Loralee (last edited May 31, 2017 10:55PM) (new)

I have gotten Emily's book finished. Here are my reviews:

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Amazon US: https://www.amazon.com/review/R1636MK...

Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2K81...

I tend to get my reviews done quickly. Don't think you have to rush your own. So long as your reviews are in before the deadline, you're just fine.

Everyone, make sure you get your books to each other soon. Alastair, could you PM me when you're able? Ian, will you do the same?

message 27: by Loralee (new)

This may be a good time to remind everyone of #5, being able to send and accept PDFs. You can send and receive mobis and epubs if both sender and receiver agree to it, but everyone needs to be able to send and receive at least PDFs.

Note also the last two sentences of #5: "International Copyright laws apply. You cannot sell, or give away material you have received without the author’s express permission."

I personally delete all stories I read from this group once I'm finished with them, just to be safe.

I'm sure you're all aware that plagiarism is a serious offense, and if caught, people get in big trouble, not to mention that their writing careers are pretty much ruined. I have a friend who, back in 2014, discovered that she had been plagiarized. She was able to sue the offender, and though it's 2+ years later, the battle is still going through the courts, and the person who stole her work (and at least one other person's) is finished as a writer.

Okay, mod getting off her soapbox now.

message 28: by Glen (new)

Glen Weissenberger (glenweissenberger) | 33 comments Glen wrote: "Emma, it still possible to join this CLEAN review group?

I have loved being in this group, and just finished my latest book, a popular nonfiction movie review book about magic and Hollywood, name..."

Emma wrote: "He's only been in one group before, 112 and there are no clashes with this round.

I'll set up the group ASAP, but I have a few to do this morning so bear with me."

Emma, thank you!

message 29: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

You are very welcome. if anyone wants to give me a little more of a concrete 'thank you' I have a free book on amazon at the moment. It's 100% NOT CLEAN, but you don't have to read it. Every additional download helps.
http://amzn.to/2poqNrY

message 30: by Loralee (last edited Jun 03, 2017 11:17AM) (new)

I've finished Kaye's book now. Here are the reviews:

Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R6OTR...

Amazon US: https://www.amazon.com/review/RFU35BQ...

message 31: by Loralee (last edited Jun 02, 2017 05:19PM) (new)

I have finished Just In Time and We Were Three.

Here are my reviews for Just In Time:

Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3I7P...

Amazon US: https://www.amazon.com/review/RHD937Z...

Here are my reviews for We Were Three:

Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2YSS...

Amazon US: https://www.amazon.com/review/RECIISF...

My four reviews are now done. Please don't think you have to get your own reviews done quickly. As long as your reviews are submitted within the deadline, it's fine.

Again, if you have not yet, please contact your eight people soon, the people you are to review, and the people who are to review you if you have not already done so.

message 32: by Loralee (new)

If anyone has trouble getting in contact with the people they are to review, or who are to review them, will you please let me know via PM?

message 33: by Ian (new)

Ian Welch | 65 comments Loralee wrote: "Ian should be good to fill the last spot, right Emma?

Ian, you haven't reviewed anyone or been reviewed by anyone on this list before, is that right?"

A belated reply, no I haven't reviewed or beeb reviewed by anyone in the group.

message 35: by Emily (new)

Emily Williams | 89 comments Hi - I have finished Kayes book Incision Decisions.

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-re...
Amazon Uk: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-...

Thank you :-)
Emily

message 36: by Loralee (new)

Thanks Margaret and Emily for your reviews!

message 37: by Emily (new)

Emily Williams | 89 comments Hi - I have finished reading Karen Rose Callan's book Just in Time.

UK - https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3I5D...

US - https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-re...

Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Many thanks!
Emily

message 38: by Loralee (last edited Jun 07, 2017 08:35AM) (new)

Thank you, Emily! You're halfway done!

message 39: by Emily (new)

Emily Williams | 89 comments Really enjoying this! It's nice to read something completely different. Thank you for reading my novel :-) x

message 40: by Karen (last edited Jun 12, 2017 07:46AM) (new)

Karen Callan | 14 comments HI...I just completed reviews for My Father's Kingdom.

amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-re...

amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-...

Thank you,
Karen Callan

message 41: by Kaye (new)

Kaye Newton | 18 comments I finished Misty Lake in Focus. Here are my reviews:

amazonhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-re...

amazon UKhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1U9O...

Goodreads https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

Thank you,
Kaye Newton

message 42: by Loralee (last edited Jun 12, 2017 09:57PM) (new)

Karen, thanks so much!

Kaye, thank you, also!

Thanks so much for reading and reviewing, ladies!

message 43: by Kaye (new)

Kaye Newton | 18 comments Hi! Here are the new links to my Goodreads reviews. For some reason, I had a little trouble editing my original post, so just reposted below:

I finished Just in Time. Here are my reviews:

amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-re...

Amazon UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2KD7...

I finished Misty Lake in Focus. Here are my reviews:

amazonhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-re...

amazon UKhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1U9O...

Thank you,
Kaye Newton

message 45: by Loralee (new)

Kaye, that works fine. Thanks!

James, thanks for your reviews!

message 46: by Emily (new)

Emily Williams | 89 comments Hi - I've finished and reviewed Circumstantial Truth

UK - https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R23C3...

US - https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-re...

Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Emily

message 47: by Loralee (new)

Thanks Emily! You're nearly finished with your reviews!

message 48: by Alastair (new)

Alastair Henry (alhenry) | 10 comments Hi Loralee
I read my Round 2 book before my Round I because it has more pages and I won't have as much free time for reading in July as I have now.

Here are my reviews for We Were Three.

Amazon.ca: https://www.amazon.ca/review/create-r...#

Amazon.uk: https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1ST5...

Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/review/R3HGFX7...

message 49: by Karen (new)

Karen Callan | 14 comments Loralee wrote: "Karen, thanks so much! Your goodreads link was perfect! Will you post links to your individual amazon and amazon UK reviews? The links in your post currently take us to a list of reviews rather tha..."

Hi Loralee,

The new links are edited in my previous post now for My Father's Kingdom.
Thank you,
Karen

message 50: by Loralee (new)

Alastair, thank you for your reviews, including the extra one for Canada!

Karen, thank you!

« previous 1 3