Polls for Our Souls discussion

Discussion > Books that changed your worldview

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by chits (new)

chits (chitxwrites) Which books changed your way of thinking and worldview?

message 2: by annesofie (new)

annesofie (ananasofie) | 204 comments I can't really think of a book that actually changed my way of viewing the world, but even though it's only been like 3 months since I first read it, Anthony Doerr's All the Light We Cannot See has really stuck with me ever since. Since I've always been interested in World War II I tend to be always reading about it & going to museums whenever I have the opportunity. It used to be just reading & looking around but now I can't even think about WOII without having my mind automatically linking it to ATLWCS. Even the little things that don't have anything to do with WOII, like today, when I came across Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea in the bookshop and immediately thought of Marie-Laure. And I still — daily — think about the ending and if I will ever be okay with it. So I guess, if there's one book that changed my way of thinking, it would be this one.

She who must not be named (she_who_must_not_be_named) Wonder by R.J. Palacio

I've always been against body shaming, but I never realised how limited my thoughts were on the matter. Although the book doesn't really talk about it, reading what the character goes through because of his appearance got me thinking about how there is so much we can't control about are appearance and there are things we are born with which we are made fun of/shamed for. Wonder helped me realise that the term "body shaming" is not just limited to the whole fat-skinny thing.

message 4: by Andreas (new)

Andreas Aristodemou (andreasaristodemou) | 92 comments All the bright places and Perks of being a wallflower

Jacob the Bookworm (jacobthebookworm) | 31 comments Definitely Wonder by R. J. Palacio. It reminded me that it's good to not do the "popular" thing if it's also the wrong thing.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I alredy knew some about muslims but this book gave me a new pespective Sofia Khan Is Not Obliged by Ayisha Malik
Old Magic by Marianne Curley
Boys Don't Knit (in Public) (Boys Don't Knit, #1) by T.S. Easton Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore

message 7: by Cordelianne (new)

Cordelianne She who must not be named wrote: "Wonder by R.J. Palacio

I've always been against body shaming, but I never realised how limited my thoughts were on the matter. Although the book doesn't really tal..."

I had the same thing. You still judge people, while not trying to judge them and I had never thought about it in this way, so this was indeed very interesting to read.

message 8: by Tasya (new)

Tasya Dita (giselatasya) | 37 comments I'd say 13 reasons why. Yes, sending tape to people blaming them for your death isn't right, but hear me out. I know "be nice to other people" is basically the rule of life, but so many people either just do it in a passing or do it on big things they tend to forget doing it for people they see everyday yet they are not close with. Also, being nice don't have to be borrowing people books or giving people a ride, but sometime being there for someone can mean the world for someone. Hannah's problem is actually not big, but they accumulate together, pressuring her down, and no one there stand up for her or be there for her. It totally changes they way I interact with my friends, I never be one to meddle in my friend's business, but now I try to ask if I feel something is missing.

message 9: by Clare (new)

Clare | 18 comments Fight Like A Girl by Clementine Ford - It was absolutely eye opening and very inspiring, something that makes you want to do so much more.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness November 9 by Colleen Hoover Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher Looking for Alaska by John Green Lord of the Flies by William Golding

These are the books that actually affected the way I looked at the world.

message 11: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) The Beauty of Life William Morris the Art of Design by William Morris Miss Manners' Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior by Judith Martin The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1) by Marion Zimmer Bradley

The first book literally changed the way I look at the world; art and design are integrally linked with how we, as individuals and as a society, function efficiently or.............. not. The second and third books taught me more pertinent and applicable information about the successes and failures of humanity than any sociology course ever did. The last book changed my entire outlook on religion and spirituality.

She who must not be named (she_who_must_not_be_named) Tasya wrote: "I'd say 13 reasons why. Yes, sending tape to people blaming them for your death isn't right, but hear me out. I know "be nice to other people" is basically the rule of life, but so many people eith..."

YES
Everyone hears the word suicide and they automatically hate the book,but I felt this book was about understanding how she got to that state of mind where she felt she had no one and nothing to live for .If someone had just been nice to her, things would have been very different.

message 13: by Alex (last edited Jun 01, 2017 01:35PM) (new)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

message 16: by Emilija (new)

Emilija (coffeechatter) | 3 comments These are not necessarily books that changed my world view, but these are the ones that have stuck with me and think about on a regular basis since I first read them.
Rotters by Daniel Kraus Genesis by Bernard Beckett Willow by Julia Hoban The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) by Brandon Sanderson Choker by Elizabeth Woods Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma

message 17: by *TANYA* (new)

*TANYA* | 8 comments Anything Sandra Brown. She's the one author that I can remember always go to for a good book. I was 12 or so when I would borrow my aunts books not knowing I wasn't suppose to read them. Lol.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

message 19: by Fishface (last edited Jun 11, 2017 12:21PM) (new)

Fishface Changed my worldview?

Drawing Down the Moon: Witches, Druids, Goddess-Worshippers, and Other Pagans in America
Opened my eyes to a whole world going on right under my nose.
The Education of Koko
Removed all my remaining sense of being different and better because I'm a human.
Badd Newz: The Untold Story Of The Michael Vick Dog Fighting Case
Changed my mind about a lot of things, from how criminal prosecution works to "no-kill" animal shelters.
Stalking the Wild Asparagus
Since I first read this one, everywhere I look, I see more food than I can possibly eat.
Woman on the Edge of Time
Showed me how thin and fragile the line between reality and delusion can be.
Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders
Showed me how fuzzy and permeable the line is between good and evil. There's so much going on in this book that I get something different out of it every time I re-read it, but if I had to sum it up in one sentence, that would be it.
Aftermath: The Remnants of War
I no longer look at the ground under my feet the same way after reading this book. Let's put it that way.

message 20: by L.C. (new)

L.C. Perry | 120 comments Ishmael An Adventure of the Mind and Spirit by Daniel Quinn

Sooo interesting and definitely changed how I viewed the world

message 21: by Asounani (new)

Asounani | 22 comments I think that all the books that I have read change my way of thinking and my worldview, some of them more than other but they always change something in me.

message 22: by Pixye (new)

Pixye The Secret

the secret. It changed my world. it's amazing. READ IT!!!!!

message 23: by Brittney (new)

Brittney Andrews (beabookworm) (brittneyandrews) | 1 comments 1. The Unintended Reformation: How a Religious Revolution Secularized Society

2. The Handmaid's Tale

message 24: by nourhan (new)

nourhan (nourhan_) | 8 comments the book thief, to kill a mockingbird

message 25: by Rima (new)

Rima Ben Hammadi | 159 comments nourhan wrote: "the book thief, to kill a mockingbird"

to kill a mockingbird est un chef d'oeuvre .... awesome choice ..

message 26: by ink (new)

ink (broiledink) | 7 comments poetry by warsan shire and nayyirah waheed. a million little pieces by james frey. that book really did it for me.

message 27: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 11 comments The History of Britain in 21 Women - Radio 4 author

The Glimpse - Claire Merle - discussing where the border between sanity and insanity are drawn

message 28: by Dilinna (new)

Dilinna | 31 comments Collen hoover books esp Hopeless and It ends with us and Emma Scott's books esp Full tilt really opens my mind to more than myself and to the world in general

message 29: by Bel (new)

Bel Cat | 15 comments To Kill A Mockingbird By Harper Lee

message 30: by C (last edited Jul 30, 2017 12:22AM) (new)

C (fightingfromafar) His Dark Materials

For some reason reality felt more fragile, at least for a while after I finished reading,, and it also had me questioning the basis on which religions are founded (as I read it at a very young age, it was one of the first books to truly challenge the worldview with which I grew up)

message 31: by Gary (new)

Gary Germinal by Emil Zola changed me is a significant way. I once was always looking to the images that a book provides and after reading Germinal I realized that the drama in the conflict within the book is by far a greater thing to take note of while reading. Zola created "Naturalism" and I see his vivid description as a vehicle to madness. Once safely removed from the reality of my own situation I see struggle as a key component to non-bias critique of a book. Only when I see someone in duress can I appreciate what he or she had to go through. In the beginning I read to open the door of the world. Now I read to hide from the world around me in so much as seeing differently provides me with a necessary tool to cope with daily conundrums.