Jane Austen discussion

Spring JA Group Film Festival > Austenland 2013

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1473 comments Mod
Director: Jerusha Hess

Cast includes: Kerri Russell, Jennifer Coolidge, Bret McKenzie, J.J. Field, Jane Seymour

Based on book by Shannon Hale, with Shannon Hale as co-writer of the screenplay

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ I found my comment in this group when I rented the DVD in March

I hadn't thought to try my library for a DVD of Austenland before. I was really pleased to rent it but...I hated it. One of the lamest films I've seen in years. The tone was so uncertain you couldn't tell if it was really meant to tasteless or was sending up being tasteless. Parts of the airport scene were funny, but this was bad,bad,bad.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ What I did like was Kerri Russell's Austenesque apartment. & I thought Russell did the best she could with a bad script.

& J J Field didn't appeal to me at all.

message 4: by victoria_tonks (new)

victoria_tonks | 13 comments Well, I do like this film. A lot. One of my to-go movies when I am stressed out (and the book has been on my comfort read shelf for quite a while now). I laughed a lot (the theatrical!). But then, I adore JJ Feild and I did not really have any expectations. All I wanted was to be entertained and that was exactly what happened.

message 5: by Louise Sparrow (new)

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 300 comments I won't be nearly as reluctant to re-watch this as the previous group watch, I loved it, laughing all the way through.

The book on the other hand I did not appreciate, and I thought the film softened some of the worst aspects of it. My comments on it, if you're interested; https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I loved JJ Field in Northanger Abbey and I thought he was great in this, and I'm a fan of James Callis too.

Possibly though what made it for me was the attempts at 'being English' some of which I still don't actually get.

message 6: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 579 comments I didn't really like the book very much and the movie was even worse. I felt embarrassed for the heroine and didn't think she was a true Janeite. I thought I wrote a movie review but I guess I never got around to it. I'd give this one a pass if you're a true Janeite or Regency scholar.

message 7: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 467 comments I have to admit I’m giving this viewing a pass, too. I saw the movie once and felt it was a bit of a mess.

message 8: by Megan, Moderator & Ardent Janeite (new)

Megan | 724 comments Mod
Abigail wrote: "I have to admit I’m giving this viewing a pass, too. I saw the movie once and felt it was a bit of a mess."

Totally agree.

message 9: by Emilia (new)

Emilia Barnes | 257 comments I saw this ages ago, and don't remember it very well. I don't have access to it right now to rewatch it either. But I don't remember hating it. It was a passable comedy. I find both Kerri Russell and JJ Field to be charming leads in basically anything they're in. I quite enjoyed the theatre scene. Altogether, I wouldn't mind rewatching it, if I had the chance. Haven't read the book, either, but I would say that the movie didn't make me want to reach for it.

message 10: by Louise Sparrow (last edited May 29, 2017 09:59AM) (new)

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 300 comments Abigail wrote: "I have to admit I’m giving this viewing a pass, too. I saw the movie once and felt it was a bit of a mess."

But that's exactly the reason you should give it another chance... I still intend to do the same for Mansfield 99

message 11: by Louise Sparrow (new)

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 300 comments So I did just re-watch this with my mum, and neither of us could stop laughing all the way through, despite having seen it several times before. I suppose humour is a very subjective thing.

Perhaps because I’m English, but I find the ‘American’ Hollywood view of us hilarious… I suspect all the English actors in it saw it much the same way. Most of the actors are in fact British and completely hamming it up which I think was the right way to go, it smoothed over the worst aspects of the novel.

I can see why an American Janeite might find it a little insulting, but this book/film isn’t about true Austen fans. This Jane has an unhealthy obsession with Colin Firth (and a terrible taste in men), rather than a real appreciation of Jane Austen’s novels, although she has actually read them which can’t be said of her fellow participants. The others are after a very fake and slightly creepy romance with attractive men paid to romance them.

The things ‘Elizabeth Charming’ says makes the film for me, a lot of which appear to be down to the actress herself, based on a comment in IMDB and references the actress makes herself in the dvd special features.

The film loosely follows a Pride and Prejudice style plot, and is essentially a romantic comedy and whilst the comedy is more evident, there are definitely moments in it that make Jane’s final choice believable.

message 12: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ (last edited May 29, 2017 09:01PM) (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ Louise Sparrow wrote: "This Jane has an unhealthy obsession with Colin Firth...

Harumph! There is no such thing as an unhealthy obsession with Colin Firth as Darcy! ;) :p

The things ‘Elizabeth Charming’ says makes the film for me, a lot of which appear to be down to the actress herself, based on a comment in IMDB

I found Jennifer Coolidge Just Too Much in this - & I speak as someone who found her to be the only good thing about Two Broke Girls & loved her in Joey. I read a review somewhere that says she is better reined in and in smaller doses. I think this is true.

message 13: by Louise Sparrow (new)

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 300 comments Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕ wrote: "Louise Sparrow wrote: "This Jane has an unhealthy obsession with Colin Firth...

Harumph! There is no such thing as an unhealthy obsession with Colin Firth as Darcy! ;) :p
"

LOL you'll never convince me of that Carol, I've liked him very well in other things though.

message 14: by Louise (new)

Louise Culmer | 111 comments I thought the film was moderately funny, but the heroine didn't seem to be really that interested in austen, just in Colin Firth as Mr darcy. and I couldn't believe she let her friend talk her into giving up all her austen stuff. what kind of friend does that anyway?