Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Awards > Awards and correct language editions on award lists

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David (dpcossio) | 27 comments Dear Librarians,

I am working on the Ramon Llull awards, given for novels writen in Catalan language.

https://www.goodreads.com/award/show/...

Although this award is for Catalan novels, there are two of them whose editions on the list are not Catalan, but Spanish (1992 award) and English (2008, 2005, 1998, 1969 awards)

Given that this list is above addressed to Catalan readers and students of Catalan language and literature, without speaking above the fact of the need of respect towards all languages and cultures, I.wonder if you can tell me how to switch to a Catalan edition as a 'default' edition of the book, at least for its appereance on this list.

As some more books need to be added and that I will be working in the near future on awards for other languages, some of them from national minorities, I would be greatful if you could let me know how to tackle this issue.

Best regards with thanks,

David.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6543 comments Thank you for working on this award. It isn't possible to designate an edition for the award, but the award will display across editions on the book page, so it will also display for the Catalan edition. The edition that shows on the award page is the Goodreads default edition, which is the edition most shelved by GR readers. Only a GR author has the capability of designating another edition.

You are welcome to expand the description of the award if that would make it clearer, and to add a link to the award website, if there is one.

message 3: by David (new)

David (dpcossio) | 27 comments Thank you, Elizabeth.

Regarding your suggestion of editing the description of the prizes, I wonder if there is the possibility of writting several descriptions, each of them in a different language. For now, the only description is in Catalan. However, I think it could be interesting to add description in, at least, Spanish and French (as Catalan has these two languages as neighbours) and English (as there are more and more translations availables into this language).

David.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6543 comments David, if you wanted you could provide translations of the Catalan description in those other languages. The description that is there is very minimal.

message 5: by David (new)

David (dpcossio) | 27 comments Thank you, Elizabeth. Then, there would not be any problem to provide this short explanation in several languages.