Review Group discussion

Finished rounds > Group 143. Out of this world.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 180 (180 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Emma, Group Admin (last edited Jun 04, 2017 04:38AM) (new)

Emma Jaye | 4044 comments Mod
The review group is the most successful group for peer reviews on goodreads. It hosts non-reciprocal reading/review rounds of ten authors with a variety of themes and genres, as well as ‘general’ rounds where any book is permitted, from non-fiction, to horror. When a round has ‘now forming’ in the title, there are places available, you can sign up. If it doesn’t, it’s full – look for another round.
The new amazon rules state that authors/publishers are no longer allowed to specifically supply published books in return for reviews on amazon. To comply with this new rule, we no longer insist members review on amazon. However, we are all in the same situation, we want reviews.
When sorting out groups, I prioritise those members who have fully participated in previous groups and don’t have multiple review connections with the other participants.

This is an out of this word round
This round is for adult fiction classified as scifi, fantasy, dystopian and paranormal/supernatural on amazon.

If you are only willing to review your own preferred genre, make sure you join a genre round. Allocation is entirely random and there will NOT be any rearranging of the listing to accommodate personal preference. The ONLY circumstance in which you may duck out of giving a review is if YOU provide a stand-in reviewer.
Let’s be honest here – we don’t all like the same things but we all want reviews. The only way this group can function is if we trust each other to behave honourably. And it IS perfectly possible to give a fair-minded review of a text that does not coincide with our normal choice of reading matter. If you need a few hints/tips, please see this thread:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Now for the boring stuff, but please read it, it saves a lot of time if everyone is on the same wavelength.
Before signing up below with your goodreads author and goodreads book link in the thread below, please ensure that:
1. You have enough time to read and review 4 books within the time allowed.

2. Your book is currently available for sale on amazon (not pre-order) and it complies with the individual round theme, if there is one.

3. Your book is fit to be reviewed. If it is not, due to editing or other issues, you risk poor reviews. This is your problem, not that of the reviewers or the groups. For a small fee, the group admin will look at the first few pages of your book to advise. The number one error new authors make is not having their book beta read and edited, by non-family members.

4. You can submit reviews to goodreads, amazon.com and amazon.uk. Amazon has recently changed their criteria for reviewers to allow only those people who have spent $50 on amazon. If you are unsure about your amazon reviewer status, try posting a ‘test’ review before signing up.

5. You can provide (and accept) at least PDF files. Many authors can also provide mobi and epub files. You are not expected or required to buy the books you are allocated to review. Some authors borrow books via KU and others provide smashwords coupons. This is their choice. International Copyright laws apply. You cannot sell, or give away material you have received without the author’s express permission.

6. It is up to individuals what disclaimers they place in a review concerning receiving a book in exchange for a review. Note: reviews that state you received a copy ‘IN RETURN’ for a review will probably be removed/not allowed by amazon.com. ‘I received a free copy from the author without an obligation to review’ would be more acceptable if you feel the need to add a disclaimer.

7. You have completed your reading if you are currently in another review round in this group. You can be involved in the ‘one for one’ list whilst you are in a round.

8. You have an author profile set up before you join.

9. Your goodreads profile allows people to message you, i.e. your profile is not set to private.

10. You declare any relationship you have with another member in the round. Amazon will not allow reviews from the same household on the same book or if you are an editor, relative or close friend of another member.

11. You agree that your reviews will be unbiased and honest, whatever the star rating, and you will try to avoid ‘spoilers’. i.e. giving away the finale of a book.

12. You will not ask a fellow author to change a review of your book because you don’t agree with it. If you think you have a legitimate concern, talk to the mod of your round, NOT the other author. Personal attacks, or pressurising other members WILL NOT BE TOLERATED and will result in you being blacklisted.

13. The new amazon.com review guidelines do not allow for free books to be supplied in return for reviews. Therefore, you are not obliged to review on amazon, just on goodreads. We all want reviews, its why we joined the group. It is bad taste to expect other people to review your book and then not do the same for other people in the group. People that DNF and/or don’t post reviews will find it difficult to get into a subsequent group.

14. Your goodreads details and the rounds you participate in will be recorded by the admin mod on a database. We do not retain details of email addresses etc.

The founding principle of the group is honest, non-reciprocal reviews, so please help maintain the integrity of the group by letting me know as you sign up if you have been reviewed by, or have reviewed another author in the group. Usually places are allocated on a first come, first served basis.
I will do my best to fit everyone into the group they request, but occasionally, particularly in the case of our more prolific good standing members, I may have to decline a member request to fit the maximum number of people into a particular round. I will always endeavour to start another round as soon as possible with that member in mind.
It is permissible to review an author more than once if a different book is available.
If you need anything clarified please ask, either by goodreads personal message to me or on the thread below, before signing up. It’s a pain to have to keep rearranging the list because people haven’t read the above.

Your group moderator will be
E.M. Swift-Hook

Member Links
1.Melonie Purcell
2.E.M. Swift-Hook
3.Leo McBride
4.A.D.T. McLellan
5.Claire Buss
6.Christian Nadeau
7.A.A. Bavar
8.R. James Stevens
9. https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6... reviewing for book's authors
10. Gloria Piper

Book Links
1.Shield of Drani
2.Trust A Few: Haruspex Trilogy: Part One
3.Tales of Wonder
4.Horn-Horn
5.The Gaia Effect
6.Seeds of Hatred
7.Az - Revenge of an Archangel
8.Clarity
9.Haunting Weir

message 2: by Christian (last edited May 28, 2017 02:21PM) (new)

Christian Nadeau | 61 comments Sign me up. My novel is titled "Seeds of Hatred". It's Dark/Epic fantasy, 183k words. I'm currently reviewing "Shield of Drani" by Melonie Purcell in the one on one forum.

https://www.amazon.com/Seeds-Hatred-S...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 3: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Links please!

message 4: by Melonie (last edited May 29, 2017 10:29PM) (new)

Melonie Purcell | 79 comments Pick me! Pick me! I will post my links as soon as I get to a real computer. It is Shield of Drani.

Shield of Drani
Shield of Drani (World of Drani Book 1) by Melonie Purcell

I agree to the rules and am generally a good kid. When people are looking anyhow.

I've reviewed E.M., but not that book. I really hope I get to read it. I'm almost done with book three in her other series. SOOO good. And if you need to move me to 143, I've been reviewed by Darrel and I have reviewed Scott. Probably better leave me here :-D

message 5: by Melonie (new)

Melonie Purcell | 79 comments PS- I have no preference for which round you add me too.

message 6: by V.R. (last edited May 28, 2017 07:15PM) (new)

V.R. Craft | 11 comments I would like to join. My book, Stupid Humans, is a comical science fiction novel. I was in a previous round back in January.

message 7: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

V.R. You'll have to check your review links yourself, I'm setting up 5 groups at the moment, that's 50 authors, some who have given and received hundreds of reviews. I can't check them all!

This might help. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 8: by E.M. (last edited May 29, 2017 05:48AM) (new)

E.M. Swift-Hook | 2680 comments Mod
I would love to be included too, please Emma - Melonie has reviewed my other books but not this one.

E.M. Swift-Hook
Trust A Few: Haruspex Trilogy: Part One

Oh - and I have not only read and agreed with the rules, I have also administered them several times ;)

message 9: by A.A. (new)

A.A. Bavar (aabavar) | 90 comments Hi Emma,

Please add me to the list.

Author: A.A. Bavar
Book: Az - Revenge of an Archangel

Thanks.

message 10: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Any clashes A.A.?

message 11: by R. (new)

R. James | 10 comments Sure, I'm game!

Author: R. James Stevens
Book: Clarity

message 12: by A.A. (new)

A.A. Bavar (aabavar) | 90 comments Hi Emma,

No clashes as of yet. Thanks.

message 13: by E.M. (new)

I have already reviewed that book by AA, Emma :) and I don't see that he has any others...

message 14: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

A.A. and R. Welcome aboard.

message 15: by Emma (new)

Emma Miller (sunmuse) | 25 comments Sign me up please!!! I have read the rules. I have no review conflicts. I have a fantasy novel.

Authors: Kari L. Ronning & A.M. Gagnon

Title: Haunting Weir

message 16: by Emma, Group Admin (last edited May 30, 2017 01:02AM) (new)

Welcome Emma. Can you sign up with your author profile? it makes it easier for the other authors to find you.

I don't know if you are Kari or A.M. out of the books authors.

message 17: by Claire (new)

Claire | 43 comments I'd love to get involved with a review round - I've been waiting for an out of this world theme.

Author: Claire Buss
Book: The Gaia Effect

Let me know if you need anything else.
Cheers, Claire

message 18: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Welcome Claire.

message 19: by Melonie (new)

Melonie Purcell | 79 comments Emma, if you can't make it work with me in there, just leave me out. I'll do other review rounds. I'm super cute and all, but probably not worth the headache. Not when I'm sober at any rate.

message 20: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

You're all right Melonie, We have enough room.

message 21: by Chrys (new)

Chrys Cymri | 396 comments Mod
Hi Emma

Hmm, I'd like to be in this group, but this might cause another headache?

I've been reviewed by Melonie (I can offer her other books) and I've reviewed EM and AA and, from what I can see, they don't have any books I haven't already read. My feeling is that I might have to go into a corner and sniffle to myself...

message 22: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

I think you're right, sad to say. There is only one spot in each group whers two authors don't meet. E.g. author 1 will not review, or be reviewed by, author 6.
And as you'd need two, its not going to be possible.

message 23: by Chrys (new)

Fine, I'll go find a corner. Maybe with some chocolate.

message 24: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

I'm starting a general later in the week, if that reduces the blues.

message 25: by Chrys (new)

Okay, chocolate placed on hold...

message 26: by E.M. (new)

I have some spare marshmallows if you'd like some Chrys.... ;)

message 27: by Chrys (new)

Only if I also get to wear the sombrero!

message 28: by E.M. (new)

that could be arranged - just need to find it first...

message 29: by Leo (new)

Leo McBride (leomcbride) | 115 comments I'd be keen to join in with the anthology Tales of Wonder. It includes a story by E.M, so if that's a concern, I can offer up Tales From Alternate Earths instead.

message 30: by Emma, Group Admin (last edited May 31, 2017 09:47AM) (new)

Have you got any other review clashes Leo? have you had a look to see if you'd fit in to the one remaining spot in 142?

message 31: by Brent (new)

Brent Harris | 23 comments I might try to snag that last spot in review group #142, but seeing how I'm also offering Tales of Wonder and Tales from Alternate Earths, I don't know if I would fit.

message 32: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

You know we'll be happy to have you, where you can squeeze in.

message 33: by Leo (new)

Leo McBride (leomcbride) | 115 comments I looked in 142 - but I've been reviewed in there by Scott Spotson, Darrell Nelson and Gloria Piper, so thought that might be a bit tricky.

message 34: by E.M. (new)

I don't think Leo can fit as the only spot I don't bump is occupied already - but you did mention a general round opening up. I can decamp my book there if that helps and Leo could then have my spot here?

message 35: by Leo (new)

Leo McBride (leomcbride) | 115 comments No other clashes here as yet, though I do have Clarity lined up for a future review.

message 36: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

have you reviewed each other? Is E.M in both books you are offering?

message 37: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

If it isn't possible it makes more sense for Leo to move. Otherwise you'll be reading in one group and modding in another.

message 38: by E.M. (last edited May 31, 2017 10:13AM) (new)

I have one book of Leo's I am not in that I could still review... I have reviewed all the rest. So he could run with 'Tales of Wonder' and I could review another one :)

message 39: by Leo (new)

Leo McBride (leomcbride) | 115 comments I'm happy to fit wherever suits or step aside as needed :) Whatever suits for the group, happy to oblige.

message 40: by E.M. (new)

Oh - No.. can't do that. Ugh. That would mean people I'm reviewing, reviewing my short story in the same round .... So would have to be Alternate Earths

message 41: by A.D.T. (new)

A.D.T. (adtmclellan) | 15 comments Oh damn. Was about to show interest but looks like it's pretty booked up already. Well, next time!

message 42: by E.M. (new)

We still have space here ADT :) Just debating if one person with their previous reviews and reviewers already in the group will fit or not.

message 43: by Leo (new)

Leo McBride (leomcbride) | 115 comments It sounds like it might be easier for me to bow out and let ADT take the spot, and for me to hop in another time. Quite happy if that's the case :)

message 44: by E.M. (new)

Well, I count 4 spots left in this group, Leo and if you are happy to run with Alternate Earths and let me review Tavern (if it still exists if not then Tower ;) ) you both would fit. Unless I am missing something....

That said, you could jump in the General round when it appears and go with Wonder maybe, if you prefer to do so.

message 45: by Leo (new)

Leo McBride (leomcbride) | 115 comments Yeah, that'll do grand, Alternate Earths it is. Tavern is no more, so it would be Tower for you, which is perfectly fine :)

message 46: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Erm, so where do I put Leo? I be confused.

ADT, have you got any review relationships with anyone else in the round?

message 47: by E.M. (new)

If you put Leo in at #3 - as he said he needs to review Clarity anyway - and bump R James and Claire down I think that will work. Emma :)

And I have the paperback of Tower already - just not got round to reading it yet, Leo ;)

message 48: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

I'll add ADT too.

message 49: by R. (new)

R. James | 10 comments Just an FYI, I have already reviewed Tales of Wonder - not sure how the matchups were going here, but didn't want to mess up the schedule if that was the case.

message 50: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Hold on while we have a mods meeting. This is an odd situation with anthologies being involved.

« previous 1 3 4