Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth, #1)
This topic is about The Fifth Season
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Fifth Season [July 2017]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 146 (146 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited May 30, 2017 08:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Schedule TBD

Edit: July 26th.

message 2: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

If nobody is in on books one or two I'll probably try to sneak them in to join book 3.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments I'm in on all 3 books. I was waiting to read this trilogy.

message 4: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments I'm wanting to read all 3 as well

message 5: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

OK are both of you fine with that proposed schedule?

message 6: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Are you both fine with July, Aug and Sept 26th?

Gelisvb | 76 comments Scott wrote: "Are you both fine with July, Aug and Sept 26th?"

I am interested too

message 8: by Samir (new)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments This is on my to read list so I might join in.

message 9: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments Yeah I'm fine with that

message 10: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan These books are so good! I can't wait for Stone Sky

message 11: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Books and dates added to the bookshelf.

message 12: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1914 comments I may jump in as well. Been meaning to read these for awhile. Have to see where my life is at in July.

Hacen | 883 comments I'm in :)

message 14: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sweet

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments Oh, I was hoping to read this one sometime soon because I have the second one and the third one on pre-order. Now I better love them!

I'm going to try to do this with you guys since it's next month, if my little forgetful brain remembers =)

message 16: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "Oh, I was hoping to read this one sometime soon because I have the second one and the third one on pre-order. Now I better love them!

I'm going to try to do this with you guys since it's next mon..."

Cool, I'll ping you if I remember.

message 17: by Solseit (new) - added it

Solseit | 1460 comments I am going to join this read!
I have been wanting to read this series for quite some time and I am going to be thankful for the schedule (else, who knows when I would start/continue)!

message 18: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Awesome. That is the advantage of scheduling out one book a month until it's done. You get a break to read other stuff but you're committed to finish. It's helped with cleanup my series while still reading new stuff.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments Thanks, Scott! I'm not getting all of my notifications so just saw your comment to me as I came over here to check the date again. *shakes fist at GR*

message 20: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

One week out.

message 21: by Gary (last edited Jul 19, 2017 03:17AM) (new) - added it

Gary Sundell | 105 comments Good thing I picked this up Monday during the ebook sale.

message 22: by Solseit (new) - added it

Solseit | 1460 comments I cannot wait to start!!!!

message 23: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments I really hope I'm able to finish Way of kings for this since its going to annoy me doing 3 books at once and I really want to read this book

message 24: by Eric (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eric (uppgreyedd) | 4 comments Got this yesterday because of the sale going on, then I found out about this. I've been wanting to do my first buddy read for awhile now, and now's as good a time as any!

message 25: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric wrote: "Got this yesterday because of the sale going on, then I found out about this. I've been wanting to do my first buddy read for awhile now, and now's as good a time as any!"

Nice, welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy the book and being part of the buddy read.

message 26: by Eric (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eric (uppgreyedd) | 4 comments Scott wrote: "Eric wrote: "Got this yesterday because of the sale going on, then I found out about this. I've been wanting to do my first buddy read for awhile now, and now's as good a time as any!"

Nice, welco..."

I got my fingers crossed and everything!

message 27: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7427 comments Mod
I think this is going to be a fun one for you all to discuss - it has a lot of cool nuances.

message 28: by Solseit (new) - added it

Solseit | 1460 comments I feel like I need to start the book - I do not really have a buffer read in between that would allow me to start on July 26!
I feel guilty for starting early but I am also hyped (and usually the hype wins)! Please don't hate me!

Robyn-Lee Samuels (thewritespace) | 26 comments I'm in... I'll probably read all three. Looking for new fantasy reads.

Robyn-Lee Samuels (thewritespace) | 26 comments Question: Are we reading book three before book two?

message 31: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments I may or may not start this a bit later to finish some stuff of what else is new

Kieron Looking forward to people's opinions on this one. I think I might be in a minority on this one.

message 33: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 1 star

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
Robyn-Lee wrote: "Question: Are we reading book three before book two?"

There are two schedules for this series. Some who have already read the first two are starting the third one when it comes out.

message 34: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kieron wrote: "Looking forward to people's opinions on this one. I think I might be in a minority on this one."

I'm assuming you didn't like it?

Kieron Scott wrote: "Kieron wrote: "Looking forward to people's opinions on this one. I think I might be in a minority on this one."

I'm assuming you didn't like it?

I'm just not sure if it's for me Scott. That is why I'm interested to see other peoples opinions.

message 36: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Jul 24, 2017 10:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kieron wrote: "I'm just not sure if it's for me Scott. That is why I'm interested to see other peoples opinions."

I started at lunch today because the next three days are going to be packed for me and I doubt I'll get more than a handful of pages read any of the.

The first chapter is a little rough. The world is a bit confusing at first and her phrasing at first had me re-reading sentences or even paragraph. I was really wondering if I was going to see this through.

Then chapter two I got used to her style and things started to click. The book is really sad to this point and chapter two had me reeling for the main character. I love books that leave me empathetic towards the characters because it's tough to do.

message 37: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

OK, I identified what's bothering me about the writing style. I'll put this into a spoiler but the only thing it's spoiling is the difference in writing style between chapters 1 and 3 compared to 2. When she flipped styles back to chapter 1 style after chapter 2's different style it was very obvious.

(view spoiler)

message 38: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

OK, forget everything I wrote. I totally get why she chose that perspective. Chapter 3 was incredible. What an epic and empathetic POV and chain of events. I'm all in.

(view spoiler)

message 39: by S.E. (new) - rated it 5 stars

S.E. Zell | 11 comments Scott wrote: "OK, forget everything I wrote. I totally get why she chose that perspective. Chapter 3 was incredible. What an epic and empathetic POV and chain of events. I'm all in."

The second person chapters are some of the most visceral and heart-wrenching. It threw me off at first, too, but then I began to really get into it.

Another thing that fascinated me about this book was the insanely lush descriptive language. She somehow manages to keep momentum while showing you the world she has created in vivid detail. It's a gift.

Kieron I listened to it on audio, so maybe that was part of the problem. I nearly gave up on it at the start and was giving it 2 stars up to about 75% and. now have it at 3 stars.

message 41: by S.E. (new) - rated it 5 stars

S.E. Zell | 11 comments Kieron wrote: "I listened to it on audio, so maybe that was part of the problem. I nearly gave up on it at the start and was giving it 2 stars up to about 75% and. now have it at 3 stars."

I started reading it last year in January and only got through the first 50 pages. Then I picked it up again in August and devoured the whole thing.

The same thing has happened with the Obelisk Gate. Her writing style definitely takes some getting used to.

message 42: by Solseit (new) - added it

Solseit | 1460 comments I am a bit thrown off as well. I am through chapter 2 and now the book makes a bit more sense but I fear it will go back to be not so clear soon.
I am not in love with it right away but I hope it will grow on me!

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments Oh reading this thread I'm thinking about rereading the book.

message 44: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Jul 24, 2017 04:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

She does seem to shift gears every chapter but once i figure it out and it clicks wow its good.

message 45: by S.E. (new) - rated it 5 stars

S.E. Zell | 11 comments I think the nice part is that each plot line has similar pacing, so you never really favor one over the other; despite the shift in POV, you're still invested in all of the characters.

message 46: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Great reviews Mayim and SE.

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments Thank you Scott. I think it was my best read that year.

message 48: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 1 star

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
The "f" not being capitalized in the thread title was bothering me so until I start tomorrow, that's my only contribution to this thread.

You're all cheaters.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments I'm with you Jenna. I'll also start tomorrow.
They are cheating!! 😡

message 50: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Guilty as charged. In my defense my boss's boss is in town and so the next three days and nights I'm going to be lucky if I get 50 pages total read. So come Friday Jenna will be on the same page as I'm on and Laura will be writing her review if history holds serve.

« previous 1 3