Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Stone Sky (The Broken Earth, #3)
This topic is about The Stone Sky
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Stone Sky [September 2017]

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Aug 29, 2017 03:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Two schedules. The first for people looking to read this on it's release date August 15th. The second TBD after scheduling the first two books.

Schedule 1: August 15th
Schedule 2: September 26th.

message 2: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 6949 comments Mod
I'll have to figure out how to set up folders when I get back to my desktop on Tuesday. I'm sure it's not a process lol. Thanks for setting this one up - I am in for the release date BR.

Mayim de Vries | 2832 comments I cannot WAIT for this to come out.

message 4: by Shelly K (new) - added it

Shelly K I'm in for this, I just need to read the first two books first. I LOVE Jemisin but delayed starting this series until closer to the release date for The Stone Sky so I can binge read the works of it. So pumped!!!

Kenan (sevly) | 35 comments In for the release date read as well! Gonna be great!

message 6: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Alright! Put me down :) I have it on pre-order, so I'm in for release date!

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Already preordered too so I am in.

message 8: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3517 comments Mod
Bumping as a buddy read for this book starts 15th August.

message 9: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4417 comments Mod
I'm in for the second reading schedule since I haven't started the series yet.

Solseit | 1456 comments I am in for the second read as well! Super hyped!

Mayim de Vries | 2832 comments I'm just starting [crowd of excited exclamation marks goes here]. Anyone else?

Kenan (sevly) | 35 comments Hey Mayim, we release-date readers have started over on the other thread

Mayim de Vries | 2832 comments Of course, you are right Sevly, thank you! (blame my excitement)

message 14: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

I was updating the bookshelf and noticed the date has been set already for this second read on the 26th. Should the bookshelf say 16th?

message 15: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Niki Hawkes wrote: "I was updating the bookshelf and noticed the date has been set already for this second read on the 26th. Should the bookshelf say 16th?"

The 16th in this thread was a typo on my part which I've fixed. We started all three books on or around the 26th.

message 16: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cool beans. Thanks! :)

message 17: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

How do you feel about the two separate threads? I'm thinking with the reads so close together, one would've been okay. It's my super organization vs practicality lol.

message 18: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Niki Hawkes wrote: "How do you feel about the two separate threads? I'm thinking with the reads so close together, one would've been okay. It's my super organization vs practicality lol."

One would have been good. I don't think there's a way to merge them now.

message 19: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nope... chalk it up to an experiment I guess. I suppose we could just redirect the sept discussion to that thread. Maybe.

message 20: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Niki Hawkes wrote: "Nope... chalk it up to an experiment I guess. I suppose we could just redirect the sept discussion to that thread. Maybe."

It's all good. I'll probably check the August thread as I read along.

message 21: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

My library E-copy is going to come due prior to the start date of the 26th so I'm going to have to start early. Best guess ten days from now on the 17th.

message 22: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

So much for that. It came due way faster than I thought. I'm going to start Sunday night.

message 23: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Through the interlude after chapter two. This picks up right where it left off and the interludes in this book are a great addition. (view spoiler)

message 24: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Through chapter 9. I don't know why it took me until now to think of this but (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14740 comments I'm back at clicking spoilers sometimes... I thought your comments about (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2832 comments just popping in for the joy of discussion, Scott are you loving the book?

message 27: by Mayim (last edited Sep 12, 2017 09:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mayim de Vries | 2832 comments also, you are a genius [regarding your spoiler]

message 28: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott wrote: "Through chapter 9. I don't know why it took me until now to think of this but [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 29: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Niki Hawkes wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

Mayim wrote: "also, you are a genius [regarding your spoiler]"

Thanks Mayim I'm loving it as much as the first two. Niki it hasn't really been revealed yet. Something in the telling gave it away to me. I wasn't completely convinced I was right so thanks to both of you for the affirmation. I love books with secrets like this that are slow reveals. In book one (view spoiler)

message 30: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Iain wrote: "I'm back at clicking spoilers sometimes... I thought your comments about [spoilers removed]"

You had it earlier than I did.

message 31: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Another one I picked up before the reveal in the last book but was excited it was true was about Alabasters fate. She's had so many good nuggets like that making this a great series.

message 32: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments I'm avoiding spoilers but I'll be joining in on the 26th.

message 33: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

Mayim wrote: "also, you are a genius [regarding your spoiler]"

Thanks Mayim I'm loving it as much as the first two. Niki it hasn't really been revealed yet..."

(view spoiler)

message 34: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (last edited Sep 12, 2017 10:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

This is why I try not to comment on threads for books I've already read. People (ahem... me in this case) don't realize what tiny indications could ruin the experience for someone (I'll admit I'm waaaay more touchy about that kind of stuff than most). I hope I didn't destroy the discovery process for you.

message 35: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Niki Hawkes wrote: "This is why I try not to comment on threads for books I've already read. People (ahem... me in this case) don't realize what tiny indications could ruin the experience for someone (I'll admit I'm w..."

No worries I was 99% sure I was right at this point.

message 36: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chapter 10 was simply epic.

(view spoiler)

message 37: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Phew. 😬😁

message 38: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Syl Anagist One (between chapters 10 and 11)

(view spoiler)

message 39: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Sep 14, 2017 06:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Done, total 5*

Review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

(view spoiler)

Hacen | 881 comments I had this down for the 16th by accident so I've already started 😣

message 41: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hacen wrote: "I had this down for the 16th by accident so I've already started 😣"

That was my fault. I put the 16th here by mistake. I had to start early and finish due to the library book coming due so I would just roll with it. Enjoy I loved it.

Timelord Iain | 14740 comments I think I'm going to start on the 23rd/24th... I have 2 books coming out on the 26th and want to read...

Timelord Iain | 14740 comments So much for starting early... I'll be starting at work tonight... needed to squeeze The Bear and the Nightingale A Novel (The Winternight Trilogy #1) by Katherine Arden in for another group first... looks like Archangel's Viper (Guild Hunter, #10) by Nalini Singh Immortally Yours (Argeneau #26) by Lynsay Sands will just have to wait

Seán | 602 comments Scott wrote: "Chapter 10 was simply epic."

It was one of my favourite chapters in a book in a long time - it really felt like an epic and fantastical experience.

Timelord Iain | 14740 comments I had a Red Riding Hood moment: (view spoiler) then I forgot when the time came to write it here... and finding it on the audiobook was too much trouble... luckily reading Archangel's Venom on my kindle reminded me...

Timelord Iain | 14740 comments @Scott: I'm 2/3rds through the book now and I can see why you talked up the sci-fi aspect of the series over in the UF thread now...

(view spoiler)

message 47: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Iain wrote: "@Scott: I'm 2/3rds through the book now and I can see why you talked up the sci-fi aspect of the series over in the UF thread now...

(view spoiler)