THE Group for Authors! discussion

The Craft > Book covers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jan (new)

Jan Notzon | 212 comments I am looking for a book cover designer. I'm sure there are many who are members of goodreads. Could I get a few to message me with samples of their work?

message 2: by Don (new)

Don Jacobson | 22 comments Jan...

Take a look at my latest cover. Go to JustJane1813.com

If you like Janet's work...message me through Goodreads. I send you her particulars. Note...she does A LOT of Jane Austen Fan Fiction stuff...so I am not sure if she is equally adept in other genres.

message 3: by Gina (new)

Gina Briganti | 35 comments I love James from www dot goonwrite dot com. I've purchased two of my five published covers from him.

message 4: by Jan (new)

Jan Notzon | 212 comments Thank you both so much! Createspace has offered to do it for an extra fee. Anyone have experience with their work?

message 5: by Don (new)

Don Jacobson | 22 comments I did not have them do a cover...but I did have them lay out a book and it was a real pain. They have no vested interest in your book. A one on one relationship with a vendor is strong.

message 6: by Gina (new)

Gina Briganti | 35 comments Jan wrote: "Thank you both so much! Createspace has offered to do it for an extra fee. Anyone have experience with their work?"

I stayed away from them because they were so much more expensive than other options.

message 7: by Karl (new)

Karl Braungart | 42 comments I found CreateSWpace helpful and patient wit me. Of course, I knew nothing about publishing when I started years ago. Dealing with them costs money, but I found them competitive and thorough. It has been a learning experience to self-publish; a pain. But, if and when I do impress a literary agent enough to think my novel is worth introducing to a publisher, I enter into a relationship where I know more than the average novice. The only thing I did not like is the editors could have been better selected. I think I would have appreciated having someone familiar with my genre. I finally found one, and I will not let CS edit my novels again. Other than that, they have merit. You have to ask as many questions as necessary until you get the one that satisfies you.

message 8: by Jan (new)

Jan Notzon | 212 comments Thanks, Karl. Great advice.

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul Francois | 36 comments Katherine Bogle does good work. https://katzilladesigns.wordpress.com/

Also, the guy that did my artwork for my novel does original artwork and teaches art at the college I work for.
http://jeffreykimbler.com/

message 10: by Jan (new)

Jan Notzon | 212 comments Thanks, Paul. Someone in a different thread suggested fiverr. Anyone have experience with them?

message 11: by Eric (new)

Eric Westfall (eawestfall) | 177 comments To the best of my recollection, I've only heard extremely negative things about fiverr, but have no personal experience.

I Googled fiverr reviews just now and this link is one of the things that came up. I have no idea about the accuracy of the opinions:

https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/ww...

Eric

message 12: by Paul (new)

Paul Francois | 36 comments Jan wrote: "Thanks, Paul. Someone in a different thread suggested fiverr. Anyone have experience with them?"

Fiverr is just a portal interface for starving artists and others to connect with customers. I have used them a few times and the results are mixed. I would recommend going through one of the cover designers directly through their website. You might want to look at the artist's name on the sample covers the designer uses on their website and contact them directly for a recommendation.

message 13: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 11 comments Check out Joel Friedlander - ebook cover design awards
https://www.thebookdesigner.com/2017/...
Then follow through the names of the designers, or purchase stock images and get someone to photoshop a cover for you.

message 14: by Erica (new)

Erica Stinson (goodreadscomerica_r_stinson) | 10 comments Jan wrote: "Thanks, Paul. Someone in a different thread suggested fiverr. Anyone have experience with them?"

I had the cover of my first book done with a vendor there. I liked the way the cover came out, but she was spotty with keeping in contact when a problem arose. I did the 2nd and 3rd book covers myself, to be honest. I am probably going to continue doing them myself and hoping for the best. There are lots of sites where you can find royalty-free images(free) as well as fonts(also free). I look at book covers and see how they use imagery and fonts and how they are placed to mimic a 'real' cover. I don't have a budget for anything, so it has to be this way for now. Not sure that I would go back to fiverr, but it wasn't entirely terrible either.

message 15: by Larry (new)

Larry Crane (mainelarrycrane) | 10 comments I decided to try fiverr when I was in the process of converting my paperback novel published originally by CreateSpace into a hardback through IngramSpark. The process involved lots of formatting of to comply with IngramSpark requirements re: cover art plus creating a professional presentation of the front and back cover text, and the flap text all of which were well outside of anything I could do. I specified my requirements on Fiverr as carefully as I could, and heard back from several fiverr service providers. I looked at their experience, samples etc and chose one. I was delighted with the result, and used the same person for the same job on two other books. it was reasonably priced and well done.

message 16: by Matt (new)

Matt Jr. | 48 comments Jan wrote: "I am looking for a book cover designer. I'm sure there are many who are members of goodreads. Could I get a few to message me with samples of their work?"

Have you considered the recommendations from the Alliance of Independent Authors? They also "vet" their vendors.

http://bit.ly/2qKkWfK

Page 21 would be of interest to you.

message 17: by Matt (new)

Matt Jr. | 48 comments Matt wrote: "Jan wrote: "I am looking for a book cover designer. I'm sure there are many who are members of goodreads. Could I get a few to message me with samples of their work?"

Have you considered the recom..."

Also check out Reedsy.com...

https://youtu.be/BlnBAql01DU

message 18: by Jan (new)

Jan Notzon | 212 comments Thanks, all. You've all been very helpful. I need to do some research.

message 19: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Hansen | 17 comments Hi Jan, I used Bookbaby for the cover of my book. I think they did a great job, although they had a little bit of an issue reading basic e-mailed instructions and communicating them to the designer at first. The cost was just over $270 with tax for the cover only.

message 20: by Eric (new)

Eric Westfall (eawestfall) | 177 comments Meghan wrote: "Hi Jan, I used Bookbaby for the cover of my book. I think they did a great job, although they had a little bit of an issue reading basic e-mailed instructions and communicating them to the designer..."

I've never heard of Bookbaby, and I'm glad they did a good job for you, but that's way out my price range. I've never had to pay more that USD 100.00 for a cover using stock photos, and never more than USD 175.00 for a cover with an original digital painting.

One possible source for artists who will take commissions for covers is DeviantArt.com. There are artists there who work in every conceivable medium and genre.

Just my USD .02.

Eric

message 21: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne Gehret | 16 comments Jan wrote: "I am looking for a book cover designer. I'm sure there are many who are members of goodreads. Could I get a few to message me with samples of their work?"

I used illuminationgraphics.com for my book The Truth About Daniel (ISBN188428101x). She has other samples on her website. She was very easy to work with in creating the original artwork for the cover, and she put it on CreateSpace for me.

message 22: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 44 comments I use Robin Ludwig...
http://www.gobookcoverdesign.com/
True's Love by T.L. Clark Dark Love by T.L. Clark

(see her website for a bigger variety)

message 23: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Heidtman (kylaurel) | 434 comments Check out selfpubbookcovers.com for pre-made covers. Huge selection at a good price, and they're good to work with. I got one of mine from there, but a friend has bought all hers there.

message 24: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Chanticleer (rachelchanticleer) | 3 comments Laurel wrote: "Check out selfpubbookcovers.com for pre-made covers. Huge selection at a good price, and they're good to work with. I got one of mine from there, but a friend has bought all hers there."

Came here to mention a friend recently recommended this site. ☺

message 25: by Anita (new)

Anita Dickason (anitadickason) | 39 comments Hi

One other consideration needs to be added to selecting a book cover designer. Do you own the final product? Using templates, such as Createspace, can be a problem.

message 26: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Hansen | 17 comments Hello,

I hope you're all having a fabulous week! I need to have a paperback cover created for my book. I'd like to use the eBook cover but need someone, hopefully inexpensive, to give it a spine and a back cover and put it all together. It will be released via CreateSpace if that matters. Any suggestions?

Thanks so very much,
Meg

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Jan wrote: "Thanks, Paul. Someone in a different thread suggested fiverr. Anyone have experience with them?"

I had a very good experience with fiverr. Affordable and she did what i asked. I got the ebook and paperback covers and a 3d image of my covers.

message 28: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Harju (pamelaharju) | 7 comments Pre-made book covers are a great, inexpensive solution if you can find a cover that suits. I bought one for my recent re-release in Finnish, and I love it! Just google pre-made book covers, and you'll find a few sites.

message 29: by L.J. (last edited Jul 26, 2017 02:54AM) (new)

L.J. Kane (l_j_kane_author) | 12 comments Laurel wrote: "Check out selfpubbookcovers.com for pre-made covers. Huge selection at a good price..."

I used selfpubbookcovers for my first book, and have bought my next cover from them too.

It cost about $70 for the ebook front cover, and then $49 for the back cover and spine when I was ready to publish in paperback. I chose the font and the words, and positioned them where I wanted.

message 30: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Hansen | 17 comments Thank you! I just ended up using my eBook cover with the free cover creator on CreateSpace. It looks fine.

message 31: by Deanie (new)

Deanie Humphrys-Dunne | 50 comments If any of you need book covers in the future, you could contact Rhonda Patton. She does beautiful work. You can see it on her website FreckledFrogDesigns.com.

message 32: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Scott (cwscott2) | 9 comments Helpful to have all these good tips - thanks.

message 33: by Mercy (new)

Mercy Cortez (mercy-cortez) | 11 comments I always use http://www.thecovercollection.com/

They have sale covers for £30, pre made e book for £50 or ebook and physical for £100

Abduct Messy & Shattered and Equivocal (Abduct, #1-2) by Mercy Cortez Jethro's Journey (Abduct, #3) by Mercy Cortez The Abduct Series The Novel by Mercy Cortez

message 34: by Shannara (new)

Shannara Johnson | 5 comments Deanie wrote: "If any of you need book covers in the future, you could contact Rhonda Patton. She does beautiful work. You can see it on her website FreckledFrogDesigns.com."

This website is defunct.

message 35: by Paul (new)

Paul Francois | 36 comments Shannara wrote:
This website is defunct."

This one works:
https://katzilladesigns.wordpress.com/

message 36: by Richard (new)

Richard Sutton (richardsutton) | 122 comments I also do covers. I'm retired now, but still do design work for independent authors and small presses. I only do custom work, no "pre-made" covers. I see a book's cover as product packaging with an important marketing job, especially online. My project gallery and website is here (which also includes my own writing). Here are a couple of recent covers...
Life's Big Zoo
Songs of the Osirian

message 37: by Beth (new)

Beth | 13 comments Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post - it's been a while since I've visited. I've recently added a novella and a novel to my GoodReads dashboard. Although the cover I uploaded for the novel is visible, the novella cover isn't. Apart from my novel, btw, I designed all my own covers - although I'm a writer I studied art at uni level in NYC, and have designed and built websites professionally until I retired. Grateful for your advice about uploading my novella cover - and anyone who'd like to discuss cover design with me, here I am! TIA.

message 38: by Paul (new)

Paul Francois | 36 comments Hello Beth,

You will want to post this in the Book Cover help of the Goodreads Librarian Group: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

They can help with Goodread's issues. Here we are just a bunch of authors with limited access to resolve Goodread's issues. ;)

message 39: by Beth (new)

Beth | 13 comments Paul wrote: "Hello Beth,

You will want to post this in the Book Cover help of the Goodreads Librarian Group: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

They can help with Goodread's i..."

Many thanks, Paul - will do!

message 40: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer My covers are custom-made and they were worth it. The best thing I did was go to deviantart.com. There are so many talented artists on that site. You can either contact the artists for a specific picture or search for those who do commercial work. I found my digital artist, Ana Cruz, on there. She's professional, sweet, and easy going.

message 41: by William (new)

William Adams | 2 comments I did a lot of cover searching for my new ebook, Reluctant Android. I found many fine designers for $300 to $800, but finally decided to go with "pre-made" cover designs. That's a category you can search on.

Examples include thebookcoverdesigner.com and SelfPubBookCovers.com. I also looked at covercollection.com and goonwrite.com (the firm is "Go on, Write!" but the URL comes out as goonwrite, which I kind of like). There are others.

I looked at many thousands of pre-made covers for my sci-fi novel. Most of them seemed cliche to me, although I realize readers have certain expectations triggered by the familiar. If the sites had better filters, the search would be so much easier! I wish I could specify, for example, that I want to see covers with "no guns, no breasts, no cursive script, no flowers, no birds, cats or dogs." That would have certainly narrowed the search space.

Anyway, I finally found a cover I liked at SelfPubBookCovers.com for $80. They're a broker, so I don't actually know who my graphic artist was (the firm name was "Visions" as far as I could make out.)

That got me the ebook cover. For a custom-fitted print cover, front and back, it's another $149, well worth it, considering they helped me a great deal, even recoloring some elements of the cover for me. The result is very professional looking and eye-catching and the sales staff at SelfPubBookCovers.com were very patient with me. I'll use them again, if I can find the right image.

In the past I used the CreateSpace DIY cover creator and it looked like it. Professional graphic artists know what they're doing. A lot more is involved than picking a pretty picture.

I don't know if I'm allowed to show here the cover I ended up with but I'll give it a try. See www.psifibooks.com.

message 42: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Cronin | 111 comments Does anyone know a book cover designer who will read the book before designing the cover?

message 43: by Mike (new)

Mike Ellsworth (mellsworth) | 11 comments I have had great luck with a Fiverr lady pro_ebookcovers

She appears to be a American living in Mexico. I got my most recent cover for $42 including all the Adobe files. I don’t know if she’ll read a book before designing, but if you give her decent information, I’m sure she’ll do a great job.

http://www.fiverr.com/s2/37c7f79628

Thanks,

Mike

message 44: by David (new)

David Ferrers (davidferrers) | 2 comments I really sympathise with Sheila's cri de coeur asking, "does anyone know a cover designer who will read the book before designing the cover?" This would seem to be an essential for producing a good cover design. However, as I point out in a recent article on my blog, designers sell their talent and their time - so you have to ask yourself, "do you want to pay a designer to spend their time reading your book?"

I give a lot of detail about the best way to brief a designer to create a really excellent cover in a recent article entitled Coaching Yourself to Brief a Designer to Create a Really Excellent Cover for Your Book

message 45: by Dana (last edited Jul 01, 2019 06:48PM) (new)

Dana Alexander | 10 comments Sheila wrote: "Does anyone know a book cover designer who will read the book before designing the cover?"

You may have some trouble finding a cover designer to read your book. If your goal is to get them to capture your work, the feel of it, I've had success describing a few key elements of the story I'd like to see captured in the image. I've also provided him with representations that fit my story and that I'm trying to capture on a cover by locating images on the web he can refer to. Hope this helps.

message 46: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Most | 10 comments I doubt you'll find any designer to read the book. Too much time and expense. I'd provide a good summary of the book, including tone, etc. Better yet, provide ideas if you can. For my latest mystery I had a very specific design in mind I described to the designer. She carried it out beautifully, including adding some of her own touches that improved it.

message 47: by Elyce (new)

Elyce Wakerman | 35 comments Maybe you can't judge a book by its cover, but it certainly helps to have an inviting image and a cover that represents the book you wrote. The first cover my publisher sent reflected my book not one bit, at least to my mind. Not wanting to appear ungrateful, I screwed up the courage to share my feelings, and boy am I glad: the second cover was better than anything I could have imagined. The designer must have read the book because everything about the cover perfectly represents the story, feeling, and tone of the book.

message 48: by Justine (new)

Justine Laismith (justinelaismith) | 24 comments An illustrator has designed my book cover. I need to add the words (ie title, author's name etc). I was merrily using Canva to design my ebook. But when I came to designing its paperback cover, I couldn't find a template for it. What
software do you use that allows both ebook and paperback cover designs?

message 49: by Judith (new)

Judith Geary (judithgearymsncom) | 20 comments https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/cover-te...

This is the link to a utility that will allow you to enter your trim size, number of pages and paper choice. (KDP's cream paper is enough thicker than the white to affect the spine width.) Then you download template images in PNG and PDF formats. These are just guides, not anything you can use to actually place your cover elements. I use InDesign to do book covers, but there is other design software that is cheaper. I draw out guidelines to match the ones in the template and then delete the template image layer. (The instructions say to do that before you submit the design.) When the design is done, I export to PDF and upload it. I freelance, so I've used this utility a lot and it seems to always work fine.
Judith Geary
The Getorix Series

message 50: by Justine (new)

Justine Laismith (justinelaismith) | 24 comments Thank you, Judith. That's helpful.

« previous 1