Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > Brisbane get together -Saturday 8th July

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deborah (last edited Jun 01, 2017 03:39PM) (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1803 comments Ok, next Brisbane get-together is a thing; anyone who is interested in coming along to our next get together, please put your names down in this thread, and we will send details of the venue once the numbers are confirmed.

Date - Saturday, 8 July
Time - 11.00am for coffee and/or lunch
Location -Southbank, Brisbane

I think we all liked the Mystery Book Swap, so lets do it again.

Mystery Book Swap

1. Bring along one book to the venue to give away – preferably a new book or a book in excellent condition.

2. Wrap the book in whatever paper you have at home.

3. Place a tag on the wrapping with the description of the genre.

4. Each participants name will be placed in a hat, and when your name is drawn, you can select a mystery book from the pile.

Also, I have a pile of books for givaways, I am going to try and put up a list, if anyone would like some of them let me know and I'll bring them along.

Definite attendees
Deborah
Kathryn
Lynn
Kerri
Jane

message 2: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 249 comments Sounds good. :-)

message 3: by Kerri (new)

Kerri | 373 comments I have a few to give away too but I won't list them till I figure out what my mystery book will be. I try to find something that no-one has read yet.

message 4: by Kathryn (last edited Jun 30, 2017 03:46AM) (new)

Kathryn | 3449 comments I also have books looking for a new home. I'm still deciding on my mystery book too, but I know I'm definitely not using any of these:

Almost French: A New Life in Paris by Sarah Turnbull
The Darian Richards Crime Files : Promise and Dead Girl Sing by Tony Cavanaugh
Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín
The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night-time by Mark Haddon
Before I Say Good-Bye by Mary Higgins Clark
Reluctantly Charmed by Ellie O'Neill

Added June 30:
The Whistler by John Grisham
Fearless by Fiona Higgins
Heritage by Judy Nunn
The Woman Next Door by Liz Byrski
The Light on the Water by Olga Lorenzo

Autumn Manor by Helen Goltz - Kerri
Skin Deep by Gary Kemble - Held for Deborah
Ida by Alison Evans - Held for Deborah

Most are in good condition, however some are a bit tattered. If you want more info about any in particular, just ask!

message 5: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1803 comments Kathryn wrote: "I also have books looking for a new home. I'm still deciding on my mystery book too, but I know I'm definitely not using any of these:

Skin Deep by Gary Kemble
[bo..."

I would definitely like to read Skin Deep by Gary Kemble! If no one else was interested in Ida I am mildly interested, and I think that after I finish it my sister might like it.

message 6: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3449 comments Deborah wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "I also have books looking for a new home. I'm still deciding on my mystery book too, but I know I'm definitely not using any of these:

Skin Deep by [author:Gary Kem..."

They're yours, Deborah!

message 7: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1803 comments Kathryn wrote: "Deborah wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "I also have books looking for a new home. I'm still deciding on my mystery book too, but I know I'm definitely not using any of these:

Skin Deep by ..."

Excellent!

message 8: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1803 comments OK here is a list of books I will be giving away.It is a bit of a mixed bunch. They are all old or shabby and not really suited to the mystery book, but if anyone wants them - they are welcome to them.

I have narrowed down my Mercedes Lackey collection.
Four & Twenty Blackbirds
The Eagle & the Nightingales
The Valdemar Companion
Bedlam's Bard

Also
A Ring of Endless Light by Madeleine L'Engle
Virtual Light by William Gibson
Touched by Light by Catherine Spangler
The Grief Shop by Vicki Stiefel
The War Against Women by Marilyn French
Girl By Sea: Life, love and food on an Italian island by Penelope GreenAA

message 9: by Jane (new)

Jane | 433 comments Just spotted this thread - should be able to make it - sign me up!

message 10: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1803 comments So, it turns out that my terrible memory has struck again! The 8th is the weekend of the Abbey Medieval Festival that I participate in each year. I didn't mark it in my diary because I thought "Oh, I can't possibly forget that" ha ha.

But I don't was to inconvenience anyone for my mistake - There are still four of you set to go, I think you might as well meet up that weekend without me.

message 11: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 249 comments Yes, another one of my friends posted about that and I wondered about the date. I don't go to that so I'm happy to still be involved. I can't do the following weekend, that's for sure, as it's my son's birthday.

message 12: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3449 comments That's a shame, Deborah, but I'm still happy to go on the 8th. I won't bother to bring the books for you - next time! Hope you enjoy your mediaeval festival!

I've been meaning to post in the chat thread about our get together in case anyone's missed this thread, so I'll do that now :-)

message 13: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1803 comments OK! Have a great time guys - I hope to see you all next get-together, if my organisational skills improve :)

message 14: by Jane (new)

Jane | 433 comments Hi All - is this still on for 8th July? I haven't been messaged the time or place. I'm happy to reschedule so Deborah can make it. And on't forget the Life Line Book Fest this week-end and next!

message 15: by Lynne (last edited Jun 23, 2017 08:56PM) (new)

Lynne Stringer | 249 comments I think the details were in the other post about this gathering. It's the same place we always meet - the cafe beneath the Brisbane State Library and it's at 11.00 am.

Actually, the info is in the first post of this topic thread. although there it says Southbank and I'm pretty sure it's at the library.

message 16: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3449 comments Yes, still on for the Saturday after next - and yes, just where we've met before, ladies. I'm looking forward to it, although I can't decide on my mystery book...

message 17: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 249 comments Hm. I forgot about that. I'll have to have a think.

message 18: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1803 comments Jane wrote: "Hi All - is this still on for 8th July? I haven't been messaged the time or place. I'm happy to reschedule so Deborah can make it. And on't forget the Life Line Book Fest this week-end and next!"

I may have spent a few hours at the bookfest today!

message 19: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3449 comments Deborah wrote: "Jane wrote: "Hi All - is this still on for 8th July? I haven't been messaged the time or place. I'm happy to reschedule so Deborah can make it. And on't forget the Life Line Book Fest this week-end..."

Did you enjoy it, Deborah?

message 20: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1803 comments Kathryn wrote: "Deborah wrote: "Jane wrote: "Hi All - is this still on for 8th July? I haven't been messaged the time or place. I'm happy to reschedule so Deborah can make it. And on't forget the Life Line Book Fe..."

Had a great time! Went with friends and picked up quite a lot of books, some that I was actively looking for, others that I would never even have thought of looking for!

message 21: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Capper | 7 comments Deborah wrote: "Ok, next Brisbane get-together is a thing; anyone who is interested in coming along to our next get together, please put your names down in this thread, and we will send details of the venue once t..."

message 22: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Capper | 7 comments Yes, I'm very interested in attending. I have no idea what mystery book to bring, but I guess I'll find one. Is the date definite?

message 23: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3449 comments Victoria wrote: "Yes, I'm very interested in attending. I have no idea what mystery book to bring, but I guess I'll find one. Is the date definite?"

Sure is, Victoria! See you there - same place as last time!

message 24: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3449 comments I've decided which book I'm bringing as a mystery book, so I've just added the other books that are sitting gathering dust to my list in post number 4 (https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...) if anyone is looking for more books to take home next Saturday!

message 25: by Kerri (new)

Kerri | 373 comments I'd like Autumn Manor if no-one else minds. I have to sort out my mystery book too and list some on here.

message 26: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3449 comments Kerri wrote: "I'd like Autumn Manor if no-one else minds. I have to sort out my mystery book too and list some on here."

It's all yours, Kerri :-)

message 27: by Kerri (last edited Jul 07, 2017 12:30AM) (new)

message 28: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3449 comments Kerri wrote: "Some books I have lying around if anyone is interested. I will add to this post over the next few days.
The Mothers' Group by Fiona Higgins..."

I've read and enjoyed 3 of your books, Kerri - and I don't want to start on Harlan Coben books!! Not at this point, anyway!

And for anyone who's interested, Fearless by Fiona Higgins, which I've listed to give away, carries on slightly from The Mothers' Group, which Kerri has listed!

message 29: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3449 comments I hope it's a bit better weather than this tomorrow or I'll have to go and search for my umbrella!!

I've got my mystery book (not yet wrapped, but will do it later today) and Autumn Manor for Kerri ready to go...!

message 30: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 249 comments Yes, I've still got to wrap my book too. :-)

message 31: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68419 comments Mod
Have a great time everyone! Hope the weather improves - if you have it like here; blue sky and lots of sunshine; you'll be set!

message 32: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) | 686 comments Have a great time everyone!

message 33: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3449 comments I'm sure we'll have a great time of chatting, eating and drinking, regardless of the weather. But my weather app says it should be fine, so I'm optimistic that it will be a typically gorgeous Brisbane winter day!

message 34: by Kerri (new)

Kerri | 373 comments We will have a good day anyway, but I sure hope the sun makes an appearance too. So cold and gloomy today.

message 35: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3449 comments We had a lovely time today having lunch and talking about shoes and ships and sealing wax, and cabbages and kings - or however the quote goes - and books, of course, always books!! But once again, as I left, I realised that we never thought about photos!!

message 36: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Haha! Glad you all had a lovely time Kathryn :) Did you get some nice books too?

message 37: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3449 comments Yes - my mystery book was Last to Die by Tess Gerritsen. I've been thinking about reading some Tess Gerritsen, but not gotten around to it. And I called into the Brisbane Square Brisbane City Council library - as I had to walk right past...(!) - and picked up Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger and Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt!

message 38: by Kerri (new)

Kerri | 373 comments It was lovely to catch up with everyone today. I didn't get time to visit the library, but I've read both of the books you picked up Kathryn and really enjoyed them, hope you do too.

message 39: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3449 comments Kerri wrote: "It was lovely to catch up with everyone today. I didn't get time to visit the library, but I've read both of the books you picked up Kathryn and really enjoyed them, hope you do too."

I noticed that, Kerri! I have to say that Ordinary Grace is more appealing to me at the moment than both the books I've kind of started so far... But they are the ones that have to be returned within the week...

message 40: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3449 comments And we missed Deborah - hope you enjoyed your mediaeval faire, Deborah!!

message 41: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Kathryn wrote: "Yes - my mystery book was Last to Die by Tess Gerritsen. I've been thinking about reading some Tess Gerritsen, but not gotten around to it. And I called into the Bris..."

Oh nice win Kathryn! I hope you enjoy it - I loved it!

message 42: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 249 comments Yes, it was a good day. :-)

message 43: by Li'l Owl (new)

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments Wonderful you all had a great day! Wish I could join you! =o)

message 44: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1803 comments Good to hear you all had a good time! Kicking myself that I was so silly as to double book myself. It was a great weekend for me, pretending to be a Viking in the Byzantine army and catching up with friends I only see a couple of times a year. I even picked up a book - about clothing in Byzantium.

Next event I'll be more careful with my dates.